Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

roonst83

Vlaar playing doesn't change my prediction one little bit

we will lose if he plays or not because he can't carry 3 other turds

hindsight is a wonderful thing but do you know what I would kill for to see tomorrow?

Hutton Cuellar Vlaar Warnock

but thanks to our manager we've got 4 children buckling under the pressure of trying to keep out League 2 strikers

1-3 to Southampton

hindsight is a wonderful thing but do you know what I would kill for to see tomorrow?

but thanks to our manager we've got 4 children buckling under the pressure of trying to keep out League 2 strikers

1-3 to Southampton

What's that old saying, "absence makes the heart grow fonder"?

Warnock and Hutton were absolute garbage last year, and Cuellar isn't that great either. Just because our current defence is shit doesn't mean those guys are any less shit either. You've got to remember how poor our midfield is and how for most of last season they had Stan in front of them, whereas this season Stan's not there and we haven't replaced him yet.

1-3 to Southampton

Lowton's done little wrong all season and you want Hutton over him!?

What's that old saying, "absence makes the heart grow fonder"?

Warnock and Hutton were absolute garbage last year, and Cuellar isn't that great either. Just because our current defence is shit doesn't mean those guys are any less shit either. You've got to remember how poor our midfield is and how for most of last season they had Stan in front of them, whereas this season Stan's not there and we haven't replaced him yet.

Midfield is a huge problem i agree, there is no protection for the back four

but IMO if we had fielded that back 4 this year we would not have seen such heavy defeats

we may still have been defeated but not so heavily

one area of the pitch where experience is KEY is the defence, Lowton is a better footballer than Hutton but his positioning is awful at times

i disagree with you about Cuellar, i think he would have been a huge help for us so far

i just cant believe the gamble Lambert is taking with our defence

Well if Lambert wants to find some motivation for the lads he's got something to pin up in the dressing room at least:

Jay Rodriguez has vowed to heap more humiliation on Aston Villa and ease Southampton’s own relegation fears at the same time.

Rodriguez watched on TV on Tuesday as Villa suffered a shock 3-1 defeat to League Two side Bradford in the first leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final.

That result came on the back of Villa's dismal Christmas, which saw them lose 8-0 to Chelsea, 4-0 to Spurs and 3-0 to Wigan in three successive games over the course of six days.

No wonder the £6.5million striker is relishing the prospect of facing Paul Lambert’s young side in Saturday's six-pointer at Villa Park.

Rodriguez said: “I think Villa are there for the taking. There is more pressure on them than there is on us, because they are a massive club.

“It is a tough place to go, but it is nice to see the teams you are coming up against getting a bit of stick.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-vs-southampton-preview-1529904?

I just think southampton are a slightly better team than us,they have some very dangerous players,I can't see them not scoring tbf and the first goal in this massive game is crucial although if they concede first I don't think they will worry to much but on the other hand if we do then it could have a devastating effect, desperate for vlaar back but not sure wether he should start this game, villa 1 saints 2 attendance 33.000

I'd like to see two strikers and two wingers.

I know people will say we'll lose the midfield battle but we lose the midfield battle when we have 3 players in the middle anyway.

I think it's highly unlikely we will keep a clean sheet so we're going to have to score a couple of goals. Best chance of they IMO is playing Benteke and weimman as a front two.

If Bennett is anywhere near the team I might cry.

Not sure if Vlaar is fit enough but I'd go with:

Guzan

Lowton-Vlaar-Baker-Clark

Warnock-Westwood

Weimann-N'Zogbia-Agbonlahor

Benteke

Warnock and Clark could be either way around, not sure I'd want to play Baker but doesn't seem to be anyone else.

(yes I'm aware this won't happen).

Midfield is a huge problem i agree, there is no protection for the back four

but IMO if we had fielded that back 4 this year we would not have seen such heavy defeats

we may still have been defeated but not so heavily

one area of the pitch where experience is KEY is the defence, Lowton is a better footballer than Hutton but his positioning is awful at times

i disagree with you about Cuellar, i think he would have been a huge help for us so far

i just cant believe the gamble Lambert is taking with our defence

Why? Hutton is easily worse than Lowton and Warnock isn't better than any of our LBs. Our defence is shit now and it was shit then. It's not really fair to start saying we'd be better off with last season's defenders without also having last season's midfielders, mainly Petrov. Once we get someone like him in the team we'll be a lot better defensively I'm sure.

Also, McLeish's whole philosophy was to defend. As we've seen Lambert doesn't really do defending .

Good news is that 3 important players are out for Southampton:

Font

Lallana

Mayuka

But there'll still have attacking threat from Ramirez and Puncheon, plus we'll have to make sure that the experienced Rickie Lambert doesn't out wit our defence.

I'm boldly (perhaps foolishly) going for a 2-0 win to the Villa!

If Westwood is fit, I'd go for

Guzan

Lowton

Clark

Baker (only because there is no one else)

Stevens

Westwood

Bannan

Ireland

Weimann

Holman

Benteke

Expecting: Guzan, Bennett, Baker, Clark, Lowton, Bannan, Westwood, Agbonlahor, N'Zogbia , Benteke, Weiman

I've had a think about it and, all things considered, I still think we'll lose by 2 goals. The defence are just awful...Stevens and Lowton are the only 2 that have shown any kind of ability. Baker will be good alongside someone more experienced. Clark on the other hand. I just don't know what's happened to him...he's been awful and certainly no better than Collins, Cuellar or Dunne, which he normally would be...

I really think I'll regret going this afternoon, come on Villa, prove me wrong!!!

I might put a bet on Southampton winning, not because I want the money, but because I never win a bet! Not once. Never. Maybe I should do it every week...