Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

roonst83

Heavily pessimistic. I usually make a day of going to the Villa but I ain't gonna let them ruin my Saturdays anymore. Will drive in and drive out and spend the minimum time I can there, then get on with my life. 4-1 defeat is my bet. I know, ever the optimist, but I think we might snatch one!

Calm down people.

I expect a big reaction from our players and our Management.

We simply cannot (and I predict will not) make the same mistakes defensively again.

I would bring back Guzan, Herd and Stevens. Start Benteke and Weimann up front.

I reckon we will win 3-1.

We simply cannot (and I predict will not) make the same mistakes defensively again.

Do you mean the same mistakes that we did not make against Spurs after losing to Chelsea and the same mistakes that we did not make against Wigan after losing to Spurs or do you mean the same mistakes that should have seen Swansea out of sight that were not repeated in the game against Bradford?

Calm down people.

I expect a big reaction from our players and our Management.

I'm quite calm, but I must say I’ve been getting a bit skeptical about the chances of seeing any “reaction” from this side recently.

Two and half weeks ago we lost 8-0 at Chelsea to record our heaviest defeat ever. A defeat so humiliating that the history books needed updating. I’d say that’s the sort of thing that really calls for some reaction.

So what did we see against Spurs? Well, we didn’t exactly come out all guns blazing. In fact, after 40 minutes of play we seemed to have crossed the halfway line with the ball about once, and the corner count was 15-0 to Spurs (it actually would have been 17-0 but for a couple of wrongly awarded goal kicks). And the final score was 4-0 to Spurs. Not an all-time record this time, but still our biggest home defeat for 15 years, or in other words our worst so far this century.

Was that a good reaction? Well, we’d managed to let in only half as many goals as in the previous game, and gone from setting an all-time low to merely a “worst of the 21st century” type record. At a stretch you could say that constituted a slight improvement, but all in all I’d still say it was a tad disappointing as reactions go. We really needed a proper reaction in the next game against Wigan.

So what did we get there? Once again the early signs were not too good. Within about five minutes we had been lucky to get away with a corner instead of a penalty for an inexplicable needless handball, let in a goal anyway from said corner by giving their player a free header from five yards, and been very lucky not to concede another penalty for a clear foul in the area. Perhaps encouraged by this early luck, we were able this time to go on to lose only 3-0. So once again there was a tenuous case for saying that we had improved a bit. Once again we’d lost by fewer goals than in the previous match, and this time we hadn’t even set any kind of negative record. But I still found it a little bit unsatisfactory. 0-3 at home to Wigan isn’t all that good, after all. And considering that the result was far more damaging to our chances of avoiding relegation than the previous two maulings, it was actually even more worrying.

So now, after this new setback of losing 3-1 to a Fourth Division side, what are the chances of seeing some real reaction against Southampton? I don’t know, but I’m certainly not expecting anything. Can the fans get behind the team and spur them on to tear into the opposition, or would that be too much like trying to goad a corpse?

• Like 2

I'm quite calm, but I must say I’ve been getting a bit skeptical about the chances of seeing any “reaction” from this side recently.

Two and half weeks ago we lost 8-0 at Chelsea to record our heaviest defeat ever. A defeat so humiliating that the history books needed updating. I’d say that’s the sort of thing that really calls for some reaction.

So what did we see against Spurs? Well, we didn’t exactly come out all guns blazing. In fact, after 40 minutes of play we seemed to have crossed the halfway line with the ball about once, and the corner count was 15-0 to Spurs (it actually would have been 17-0 but for a couple of wrongly awarded goal kicks). And the final score was 4-0 to Spurs. Not an all-time record this time, but still our biggest home defeat for 15 years, or in other words our worst so far this century.

Was that a good reaction? Well, we’d managed to let in only half as many goals as in the previous game, and gone from setting an all-time low to merely a “worst of the 21st century” type record. At a stretch you could say that constituted a slight improvement, but all in all I’d still say it was a tad disappointing as reactions go. We really needed a proper reaction in the next game against Wigan.

So what did we get there? Once again the early signs were not too good. Within about five minutes we had been lucky to get away with a corner instead of a penalty for an inexplicable needless handball, let in a goal anyway from said corner by giving their player a free header from five yards, and been very lucky not to concede another penalty for a clear foul in the area. Perhaps encouraged by this early luck, we were able this time to go on to lose only 3-0. So once again there was a tenuous case for saying that we had improved a bit. Once again we’d lost by fewer goals than in the previous match, and this time we hadn’t even set any kind of negative record. But I still found it a little bit unsatisfactory. 0-3 at home to Wigan isn’t all that good, after all. And considering that the result was far more damaging to our chances of avoiding relegation than the previous two maulings, it was actually even more worrying.

So now, after this new setback of losing 3-1 to a Fourth Division side, what are the chances of seeing some real reaction against Southampton? I don’t know, but I’m certainly not expecting anything. Can the fans get behind the team and spur them on to tear into the opposition, or would that be too much like trying to goad a corpse?

You are leaving out the draw with Swansea and the win over Ipswich....Why?

I don't care. Im not watching anymore of Lambert clueless attempts to try and get people to play football. He has heaped enough embarrassment on the club since he has been here. I wouldnt even let him coach a Sunday morning team.

You are leaving out the draw with Swansea and the win over Ipswich....Why?

I could actually have included the Swansea match because the reaction to letting in fifteen goals in the previous three games was to carry on being so inept that we could have been four or five down after half an hour. It looked like it was luck more than an ability to react that meant we hadn't already been beaten out of sight again by half time.

The Ipswich game was one where most fans seemed to have a "hope we win but not too bothered about this" attitude. It's not the sort of game where people are expecting a "big reaction". And a 2-1 win at home to a team who, like us, have the worst goal difference in their League (only a lower one) doesn't really count as one. In our current situation it was OK, a welcome win, but that's about all.

----------------Guzan------------------

-Hutton---Clark--Baker--Warnock-

-------------Kea--Ireland--------------

---------------N'Zogbia----------------

-Weimann--Benteke--Agbonlahor-

I'm pretty sure KEA is at the African Cup of Nations already. Left last week I believe.