Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

roonst83

Going by our recent results, we shouldn't get anything from this. But this is the Villa. Somehow, I can see us really giving it a go and getting something. I guess I just have a good feeling about today.

If Westwood is fit, I'd go for

Guzan

Lowton

Clark

Baker (only because there is no one else)

Stevens

Westwood

Bannan

Ireland

Weimann

Holman

Benteke

Expecting: Guzan, Bennett, Baker, Clark, Lowton, Bannan, Westwood, Agbonlahor, N'Zogbia , Benteke, Weiman

There is no point leaving some of our better players on the bench.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

If Rickie Lambert shakes our defenders up early doors, we are in big trouble later.

We need to go out from the off and have a right go. First 20 minutes are vital, if we can score early then it may see us through. Sod this sideways passing rubbish and keeping possession at the back, get that ball forward - to feet - quickly and put them on the back foot. Let them worry about us, not the other way around.

This has draw written all over it though, as both teams can't afford to lose and if either get a 1-0 lead, I can see them trying to defend it. Unfortunately for us, we can't defend.

As for the team, I'd like to see...

4-2-3-1

GK: Guzan

DR: Lowton

DL: Warnock

DC: Vlaar

DC: Baker

CM: Clark

CM: Westwood

AML: Carruthers

AMR: Weimann

AMC: N'Zogbia

FC: Benteke

Won't happen though as Bannan, Delph and Bennett will all get the nod and contrive to **** up another game

The Guardian, which often gets these things right, has

------------------Guzan--------------------

----------Baker----------------Clark---------

Lowton------------Vlaar (poss)----------Bennett

Delph-----Westwood (poss)----Bannan

-------Benteke-------------Agbonlahor-----------

Think I might go for Weimann given he has scored 6 in his last 7 games!

What a srange season Southampton have had: 4 points from their first 10 games (3 courtesy of you know who) and 14 from the next 10. They are on a bit of a roll and it will be a fine ahievement if we win this. Even with Vlaar and Westwood back we look quite weak.

I am not thinking of anything but a Villa win at the moment - it's too depressing to contemplate anything else. Just have to cross my fingers and hope those people assuring us it will all come good under Lambert are right.

Edited by briny_ear

Why? Hutton is easily worse than Lowton and Warnock isn't better than any of our LBs.

Also, McLeish's whole philosophy was to defend. As we've seen Lambert doesn't really do defending .

Hutton is not easily worse than Lowton at all, Hutton is a better defender, Lowton's better getting forward

Not sure what your trying to say with your last point. The difference in goals conceded is because of the managers tactics?

Not a chance, you can play the way Lambert plays and concede less if you have a decent defence

if McLeish was in charge of this defence we would still see it capitulate every game

It's as simple as this for me . If Westwood plays, we keep a clean sheet and win.

Surely you don't believe that CI?

Westwood is not the difference between Southampton scoring and Villa keeping a clean sheet, not sure how you can say that

I wish it was that simple

**** it, play a front 3 of Benteke, Bowery and Weimann and just have Bannan lump it up to them, the two big fellas should win enough in the air against a weakened Southampton defence and Weimann has the movement and positional sence to be in the right place to get on the end of the knock downs.

Everyone else should line up on our goal line and create a human wall.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
  • Like 2

Its amazing how shocking we've been all season bar two or 3 games, and we're still in with a shout of staying up. But now is the time to stand up and be counted, have to win just have to. Wigan was the last **** up we could afford.

PL play a DVD of what we did right up at Newcastle, the closing down and getting in faces, the passing and movement. I dont know why we have regressed from that, we havent done the basics right for so long now. I dont think ive seen such a soft touch of a side since Wolves last year or Derby in 07! So easy to beat its a joke.

No, but I suppose if going on a message board posting abuse at all in sundry is your thing, fair enough wont make a blind bit of difference mind. As I said its lovely on here after a loss.

And posting all happy, optimistic positive things makes no difference either. Nothing posted on here makes a difference really so if that's your issue you'd probably be best not reading anything.

And posting all happy, optimistic positive things makes no difference either. Nothing posted on here makes a difference really so if that's your issue you'd probably be best not reading anything.

I dont, its vile on here after a loss and i suppose it depends what does it for you where you choose to contribute to it..

Lets hope the Villa fans actually get behind the team whatever is going on, on the pitch. booing at half time or after going behind is not getting behind the team!