Joleon Lescott - Man City

honest_bertie

Thought it deserved its own topic seeing as there have been numerous links now.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Your club needs you! City's Lescott could be on his way to boyhood club Villa

Aston Villa are weighing up a move for Manchester City's out-of-favour defender Joleon Lescott to shore up their leaky defence.

Owner Randy Lerner is set to back manager Paul Lambert this month in a bid to turn around the club's shaky form.

Lerner remains committed to first-year boss Lambert, despite their troubles in the Premier League as a young side battles to find its feet.

Villa are a point off the drop zone after conceding 15 goals without reply in three heavy losses over Christmas.

A point at Swansea on New Year's Day stopped the rot, but Villa realise an experienced central defender is essential this month.

Lescott, a local lad who grew up supporting Villa before playing for Wolves, Everton and now City, is available.

But his large wages are an issue, as Lerner is still seeking to reduce player salaries, and both Everton and Sunderland are also interested in taking the 30-year-old.

The £10million-rated ace will have to take a significant drop and negotiate with the champions for a pay-off to join Villa.

In recent years, both Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland left City with golden goodbyes to compensate them when they joined Villa.

Despite struggling in the top-flight, Villa have a League Cup semi-final first leg at Bradford next Tuesday.

Overall, Lerner is pleased with Lambert's work reducing the wage bill and nurturing their young academy graduates - he is delighted with the Scot's main summer signing, £7.5m Christian Benteke.

The American is now willing to back Lambert again in this month's window.

An experienced centre-back and a ball-winning midfielder are priorities, while the club are considering a new left-back too, amid concerns over the abilities of Joe Bennett and Eric Lichaj.

Big-earning duo Shay Given and Darren Bent are both available if Villa get good offers, while Nottingham Forest's ex-Villa manager Alex McLeish fancies midfielder Barry Bannan.

But outcast Alan Hutton has now returned to the club following his loan spell at Forest as the clubs negotiate over the percentage of his salary to pay if the Championship club keep him.

Edited by admin

I'd love Lescott here and I'm not going to get my hopes up too much as it likely won't happen but the possibility of a Lescott and Vlaar back two or a Lescott, Vlaar and Baker back three is quite exciting.

Crikey, wasn't expecting that link.

Doubt if we can afford him - although the article cites Dunne and Ireland as precedents for getting golden goodbyes from City, don't they also make up a big part of our too-large wages bill? Surely RL/PF wouldn't be dim enough to buy another player they can't afford?

This is probably a bit of press speculation, putting 2+2 together, etc.

I hate transfer speculation at the best of times but this window really matters because if we don't buy the right players we are in severe danger of going down so the speculation is even more unsettling. I just want it to be over!

Edited by briny_ear

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Benteke

home.png
Delph

home.png
Bennett
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Clark
home.png
Lowton

home.png
Lescott
home.png
Baker
home.png
Vlaar

keeper.png
Guzan

I think the sole addition of Lescott would make our team look a lot better. A lot more solid and organised.

This is only a selection from what I'd play from our current team + Lescott.

It may not be what you'd play but there we go

:D

Plus I'd want more additions, especially in midfield.

But just to reiterate, I think Lescott would improve us drastically and I hope he comes in.

Edited by 8pints

Randy, Paul, Paul... GET IT DONE!

Give him a three-year deal and all the bits and bobs about relegation release clauses etc.

Keep him until he's about 34/35. Him and Vlaar at the back would be great.

Also, he's not a blob like Dunne so he'd still be a good defender at 35.

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Benteke

home.png
Delph

home.png
Bennett
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Clark
home.png
Lowton

home.png
Lescott
home.png
Baker
home.png
Vlaar

keeper.png
Guzan

I think the sole addition of Lescott would make our team look a lot better. A lot more solid and organised.

This is only a selection from what I'd play from our current team + Lescott.

It may not be what you'd play but there we go

:D

Plus I'd want more additions, especially in midfield.

But just to reiterate, I think Lescott would improve us drastically and I hope he comes in.

Mcduff would be proud of you

• Like 2

Mcduff would be proud of you

:P :P :P

Haha, I did say from the the current squad, I know it's not the most attacking side, I'd especially want a new attacking player where I've put Delph.

But, for me, Delph gets in over Ireland or Bannan or anyone else

and a better central midfield partner for Westwood.

I agree that it's unlikely but think he's exactly what we need at the moment. I don't see his reduced, although still hefty, wages being an obstacle as he'd surely be a regular starter.

It's not going to happen, is it? :mellow:

He'll probably get a hefty fee from Man City too if they are looking to offload him.

Mancini has already said he won't let him go, with toure at the acn there already a cb down. This just won't happen.