The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

The one criticism i have of Guzan is that his distribution can be awful. His kicks can sometimes be poor and a couple of times in the last few games he has tried a quick throw to someone who is being marked which caused us to lose possession and come under pressure again.

Other than that he is a good shot stopper, confident in the air and seems to organise the defence well. As much as I used to rate Given, he only has the shot stopping and at the start of the season and during the Euros he didn't even have that.

Edited by matrim

Atleast they go further than the half way line.

Given really struggles to kick in my eyes. He really struggles also when defenders pass the ball back to him, he can't seem to kick it properly when he's being put under pressure from the opposition. Meaning he nearly concedes (he did it countless times vs Norwich in the cup)

No goal for you Guzan should stay in goal

If it wasn't for him we would have probably gone into double figures against Chelsea and Spurs would have scored alot more

Not his fault he's got a bunch of wet behind the ears kids in front of him

My point was, Guzans confidence may be at a low ebb after the last 2 games. It may have been worth taking him out of the firing line for a game or two to give him some respite.

believe it or not, his confidence in himself is likely sky high after the last 2 games. as a keeper the confidence only goes when you're at fault, if you're putting in great performances you'll feel good about your game even if you're getting hammered. there'll be a lack of belief in the defence in front of you, of course, but you'll feel pretty good about yourself

Cant drop Brad Jr, he's one of a handful that truly seem to give more than two **** about the club. Like others above me have said, his own performances have been fine, its the rest of the team that need to look at themselves. Id look to send Given on his way in January tbh, great guy and great pro but past his prime and not needed anymore.

At one point today Guzan was flapping.. Let's hope that doesn't creep into his game.

Conceding all those goals can't be good for his confidence.

That said i'd still keep him in goal as he has been our best player past few games.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

I'm still laughing at the assertion that Shay Given kept us up last season. One spectacular save in the last minute against the Baggies right at the end of the season doesnt make up for nine months of failing to dominate his penalty area. Said it a million times, Given is a great shot stopper but his all round game has huge deficiencies which caused us to concede far too many goals from set pieces last season. He has always been over rated because he looks good tipping one over the bar on MotD and based on his performances from Euro 2012 onwards you might even say his reactions which enable the great shot stopping are on the wane. Terrible keeper and I still curse the day we ever signed him.

At one point today Guzan was flapping.. Let's hope that doesn't creep into his game.

Conceding all those goals can't be good for his confidence.

That said i'd still keep him in goal as he has been our best player past few games.

If I'm not mistaken, that happened at the Wigan corner straight after the one they scored from. I too hope that it doesn't creep into his game but I can see why he may not have had total confidence in the defence in front of him.

No point benching him unless he actually needs a rest. It's weird to say but the guy that let in 15 goals in 3 games has been our best player. He could have saved maybe 2 of the 15 goals but I am being a bit harsh with that. Given wouldn't do better than Guzan. Prior to the 3 games, Guzan was doing extremely well.

Â