The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

For me he should have got a lot closer to the second. Had his eyes on it the entire way at it didn't even hit the corner of the goal. It was a worldly because of his inability to even get a hand in it.

• Like 1

If only we had David De Gea in goal, the game would probably have gone into extra time as he would have quite easily saved all the 4 goals. And going into a penalty shootout with De Gea as the keeper, it's no exaggeration to say we'd actually be the favourites.

Given doesn't really have confidence as a keeper and plays with fear. He actually flapped at the first goal as you could clearly see his hand trembling / panicking / indecisive as he stuck his hand out and missed the ball. De Gea is quite renowned for making such saves and would probably have somehow swatted it away.

The second goal reminds me of a certain Scott Carson. Keeper should definitely do better even if the ball had moved as it was basically almost straight at him. De Gea would have EASILY saved that in my opinion.

The third goal was soft and likely would catch many keepers by surprise, but we've seen De Gea make such saves from absolutely out of nowhere before.

The last goal? You gotta be kidding or need to brush up on footballing knowledge if you think De Gea is not gonna to do anything other than save it (likely with his feet as he often does). It'd also be an easy shot for him.

That's the importance of a keeper I suppose. One as good as one of the best in the world would possibly have single handedly changed even a game like that and won the game and cup.

If only we had David De Gea in goal, the game would probably have gone into extra time as he would have quite easily saved all the 4 goals. And going into a penalty shootout with De Gea as the keeper, it's no exaggeration to say we'd actually be the favourites.

Given doesn't really have confidence as a keeper and plays with fear. He actually flapped at the first goal as you could clearly see his hand trembling / panicking / indecisive as he stuck his hand out and missed the ball. De Gea is quite renowned for making such saves and would probably have somehow swatted it away.

The second goal reminds me of a certain Scott Carson. Keeper should definitely do better even if the ball had moved as it was basically almost straight at him. De Gea would have EASILY saved that in my opinion.

The third goal was soft and likely would catch many keepers by surprise, but we've seen De Gea make such saves from absolutely out of nowhere before.

The last goal? You gotta be kidding or need to brush up on footballing knowledge if you think De Gea is not gonna to do anything other than save it (likely with his feet as he often does). It'd also be an easy shot for him.

That's the importance of a keeper I suppose. One as good as one of the best in the world would possibly have single handedly changed even a game like that and won the game and cup.

Not sure if serious....

Not sure if serious....

me neither

De Gea has been brilliant this season but he's still conceded plenty of goals including two to Arsenal in this competition.

The way we set up, the way we conceded space so easily and were so vulnerable to one twos around the box....a combination of Gordon Banks, Yashin, Buffon in goal today wasn't keeping a clean sheet there.

I've seen the second goal again (and again and again)

It's a good strike but I'm un-moved. He should be saving it.

Not that it matters, there were plenty worse than him out there today and he pulled off a couple of good saves.

• Like 2

Can't see what he could have done with that second, a world class strike and all pundits seemed to agree. Nothing he could have done with the first and made a couple of fantastic saves.

Not a reason we lost today and shouldn't be starting next season.

It goes pretty much directly over him. Unless it's a lob, I'm of the belief that there's no excuse for a keeper being beaten like that.

A better goalkeeper saves that.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Can't see what he could have done with that second, a world class strike and all pundits seemed to agree. Nothing he could have done with the first and made a couple of fantastic saves.

Not a reason we lost today and shouldn't be starting next season.

He couldn't have done anything with the second, but it wasn't a world class strike.  Just another example of a football behaving exactly as it shouldn't because "goals".

It goes pretty much directly over him. Unless it's a lob, I'm of the belief that there's no excuse for a keeper being beaten like that.

A better goalkeeper saves that.

I agree with that and I said straight away he shouldn't be getting beat middle of the goal straight above him. Hes very small for a keeper, never liked that.

I haven't seen the replay and if the ball has moved as much as suggested then I may change my mind. Thought the header from the corner was saveable as well.

Â