U.S. Politics

maqroll

A stupid thing that is happening is that Stephen Breyer keeps not retiring immediately. Gonna end up with a 7-2 Republican majority on the Supreme Court because of the arrogance of yet another gerontocrat who thinks he'll never die 🙄.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A stupid thing that is happening is that Stephen Breyer keeps not retiring immediately. Gonna end up with a 7-2 Republican majority on the Supreme Court because of the arrogance of yet another gerontocrat who thinks he'll never die 🙄.

Biden needs to get the balls to expand the court and introduce term limits.

He (and the Dems) also need to get the balls to give Puerto Rico & D.C. statehood. Hand wringing about the GOP in southern states passing laws of pure voter suppression (thinly veiled as legislation) is a waste of time. Do you think the morally bankrupt GOP would waste a moments breath if they thought D.C. & P.R. statehood would benefit them?

Also, didn't he pledge during the campaign that he would have a bi-partisan commission to look at the pros & cons of expanding the supreme court?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And?

Didn’t we all (those who did so at least) hear him on the phone recording to someone else blatantly asking them to find votes? 

Yes, we did.   He told the Secretary of State to find the specific number of votes he needed and implied he'd be in legal trouble if he didn't overturn the result.  Unfortunately, the Post's sloppiness will now allow the right to go on endlessly about the "dishonest WaPo" while diverting attention from the fact that what he actually did say that to the Secretary of State was worse than what they incorrectly quoted him as saying to one of the SoS's employees.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He (and the Dems) also need to get the balls to give Puerto Rico & D.C. statehood. Hand wringing about the GOP in southern states passing laws of pure voter suppression (thinly veiled as legislation) is a waste of time. Do you think the morally bankrupt GOP would waste a moments breath if they thought D.C. & P.R. statehood would benefit them?

Also, didn't he pledge during the campaign that he would have a bi-partisan commission to look at the pros & cons of expanding the supreme court?

I completely agree, but it's pretty clear the likes of Manchin and Sinema don't (about either statehood or reforming the court). Democrats appear to be in a trap where they can't win without the most moderate senators, and the most moderate senators will never vote for anything that would change that dynamic.

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Expanding the court is a needlessly divisive issue that does not solve any immediate problem, other than the politics of our day. Term limits are sensible. I would suggest an alternate strategy of applying a retirement age, though both of these solutions necessarily impinge upon the rights of the lovely people in the US congress. 

D.C. should be rank last in having any additional favor/power. There are solid ethical/legalistic arguments both for and against granting more power to D.C. and the people who live there. 

P.R.is a long standing stain on the character of the "United States" and should be prioritized. It reveals a lot about the current bona fides of those on the moral superiority side, that somehow D.C. has reached equivalence with P.R.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Expanding the court is a needlessly divisive issue that does not solve any immediate problem, other than the politics of our day. Term limits are sensible. I would suggest an alternate strategy of applying a retirement age, though both of these solutions necessarily impinge upon the rights of the lovely people in the US congress. 

D.C. should be rank last in having any additional favor/power. There are solid ethical/legalistic arguments both for and against granting more power to D.C. and the people who live there. 

P.R.is a long standing stain on the character of the "United States" and should be prioritized. It reveals a lot about the current bona fides of those on the moral superiority side, that somehow D.C. has reached equivalence with P.R.

The problem with a retirement age over term limits is it incentivises the ruling party putting the youngest candidates possible forwards to maintain control for longer. You might still get people serving for 40 years, with the main difference being they were far from experienced enough to deserve the appointment in the first place.

• Like 4

:D 

Nice to see Biden is following in the wobbly steps of Trump and upholding the proud tradition of presidents who can't walk up stairs or down ramps.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why is he trying to **** jog up steps? Like, it's okay Joe, we get that you're old. Just walk slowly!

Thats me going up the steps to my flat after 9 pints of Cobra and a chicken madras. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

:D 

Nice to see Biden is following in the wobbly steps of Trump and upholding the proud tradition of presidents who can't walk up stairs or down ramps.

He also called his VP "President Harris" as well

No way will he last a full term.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

He also called his VP "President Harris" as well

No way will he last a full term.

She is actually President of the Senate but I think she should only be called that inside the chamber

Funny seeing the #Resist type liberals clutch their pearls over people laughing at this. The same people who spent 4 years blowing up every single Trump gaffe. I'll never forgive that 1 year of incessant "Covfefe" quips.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why is he trying to **** jog up steps? Like, it's okay Joe, we get that you're old. Just walk slowly!

This is what I don't get.  He always tries to jog everywhere. Is he trying to give out the impression he's a sprightly youthful kind of guy. If he is it's backfired spectacularly. But it's mad that he goes at it again and then again even though he's humiliated himself. 

Someone needs to have a word with him, as you say it's perfectly OK to walk slowly especially up a steep staircase.  Quite bizarre. 

Again though shows what a completely ludicrous decision it was to have chosen him to run. He'll never make it through his full term. The job must be exhausting. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

This is what I don't get.  He ways tries to jog everywhere. Is he trying to give out the impression he's a sprightly youthful kind of guy. If he is it's backfired spectacularly. But it's mad that he goes at it again and then again even though he's humiliated himself. 

Someone needs to have a word with him, as you say it's perfectly OK to walk slowly especially up a steep staircase.

I'm 34, and I walk slowly up stairs, because if I don't I get dizzy. He's like 165!

• Like 1

Â