U.S. Politics

maqroll

12 hours ago, villakram said:

The firearms were discovered on people who were arrested for being in breech of the curfew that evening around D.C. Political affiliation unknown.

So they must have gone home to get them after their visit to the capitol to go for an evening stroll. The police was overrun ( but it was not a storming) during the ‘gathering’ so didn’t make any arrests during.

edit: we are actually degressing from the original point. Precautions were taken after online threats by people who have proven to attack. Not doing so would be negligence. 

Edited by AXD

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Zero firearms were found on any of the individuals involved during the "storming" of the capitol. 

Christopher Alberts was arrested on Capitol Grounds in possession of a pistol, there's one for starters and that one is enough to prove your statement to be incorrect.

One of the insurectiontsis with the flex-cuffs could clearly be seen inside the Capitol with a holstered pistol on his belt, thats two

I haven't even started digging through the affidavits yet

One man is facing 17 separate firearm and ammunition charges

So no, not correct

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villakram said:

You don't find it strange or worrying that political decisions are being made based on quasi-anonymous internet conspiracy theories?

After what happened last time and the threats that been posted, no I do not.

11 hours ago, villakram said:

You don't find it strange or worrying that political decisions are being made based on quasi-anonymous internet conspiracy theories?

Yes, that's right, government intelligence globally is only based on trawling Reddit posts and scrolling through Facebook.....

This is why people scoff when whack-a-doodles say they've done their "research"

One may remember during the Bush years how his admin would play the traffic light game, because of all those terrorist. Of course, with leaks over subsequent years, we found out that the overwhelming majority was security theatre bs.

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Christopher Alberts was arrested on Capitol Grounds in possession of a pistol, there's one for starters and that one is enough to prove your statement to be incorrect.

One of the insurectiontsis with the flex-cuffs could clearly be seen inside the Capitol with a holstered pistol on his belt, thats two

I haven't even started digging through the affidavits yet

One man is facing 17 separate firearm and ammunition charges

So no, not correct

Not my statement, but that of an FBI agent.

Just now, villakram said:

That's why I said propaganda.

It isn't propaganda. It's a picture of protesters outside the governor's office in the capitol with guns. Something you seem to be adamant can't happen in Washington for some reason.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

It isn't propaganda. It's a picture of protesters outside the governor's office in the capitol with guns. Something you seem to be adamant can't happen in Washington for some reason.

It didn't happen.

Are we supposed to live our lives fixated on the possible?

Those individuals cooperated with police and passed through a police checkpoint. Apples and oranges and hence being mis-represented to support a threat to the precious and popular congress. Propaganda. Although these days it's closer to media management or public relations, such is the time we live in.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

It didn't happen.

Are we supposed to live our lives fixated on the possible?

Those individuals cooperated with police and passed through a police checkpoint. Apples and oranges and hence being mis-represented to support a threat to the precious and popular congress. Propaganda. Although these days it's closer to media management or public relations, such is the time we live in.

You need to stop appealing to the police for starters, not a good look.

Also are you suggesting that there's no threat whatsoever and the government, who probably knows what you wore to bed last night are mistaken in their intel and are just wetting their knickers over nothing?

23 hours ago, villakram said:

Zero firearms were found on any of the individuals involved during the "storming" of the capitol. 

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Not my statement, but that of an FBI agent.

Looks pretty much like you said it to me. If it was a statement posted to deride anothers opinion, it's best you attribute it to them, otherwise, you know.... it's you making the statement

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andym said:

The full statement by the FBI agent was “To my knowledge we have not recovered any on that day from any of the arrests at the scene at this point. But I don’t want to speak on behalf of Metro and Capitol police, but to my knowledge none.”

As @bickster noted, Christopher Alberts was arrested in possession of a pistol (by the MPD), other people were found to have guns in vehicles nearby, and other people were stopped before they even got there and found to have guns. 

And of course, it also ignores the fact only about 75 people were actually arrested at the scene, and the police weren't searching people (they were either severely outmanned and trying to avoid getting set upon, or letting the rioters in).

So while only a handful of guns were recovered on the day, it clearly doesn't mean loads of other people weren't tooled up. There's loads of photos of people in military style gear, i'm pretty sure they weren't just there for a nice day out.

It's not a surprise the source you quoted neglected to give the full quote and any context - a quick google search of the Epoch Times and you get articles describing it as a far-right, Trump supporting, Q-anon conspiracy theory pushing publication.

It's also frankly not a surprise that that is the publication you have been reading and chosen to quote... 

That's a fairer comment. No need for the ad-hominem though.

Blame duckduckgo and my lack of a browsing profile therein/on for the source. I have zero interest in wasting time finding something that people will think is nice, when reporting on a specific event, rather than editorializing. 

I believe only 13-15 people were arrested during the actual penetration of the capitol building. Many more were arrested that evening due to the martial law curfew imposed and then many subsequent to the event. 

Edited by villakram

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You need to stop appealing to the police for starters, not a good look.

Also are you suggesting that there's no threat whatsoever and the government, who probably knows what you wore to bed last night are mistaken in their intel and are just wetting their knickers over nothing?

Pretty much.

They have deployed 5000 armed troops and have massive fencing installed all over DC. There was simply no prospect of anything happening. Of course, it's better to have people talking about this, rather than the volume of pork in the stimulus bill.

4 minutes ago, villakram said:

That's a fair comment.

Blame duckduckgo and my lack of a browsing profile therein/on for the source. I have zero interest in wasting time finding something that people will think is nice, when reporting on a specific event, rather than editorializing. 

Sorry this is utter nonsense. You posted it, you attrinuted it to no-one and weren't even being critical of the opinion. This is not posting something which is nice nor is it editorialising anything. it's you posting your opinion

It won't stop being your opinion until you attribute the quote to someone else.

It is also demonstrably not true and as revealed above, the quote itself isn't what you said because the quote specifically states that it is contemporaneous with the event and that it isn't a statement of the full picture even at the time. You presented it as some kind of fact or your opinion

14 minutes ago, villakram said:

Pretty much.

.... Of course, it's better to have people talking about this, rather than the volume of pork in the stimulus bill.

Or the cancelling of Dr. Seuss.

23 hours ago, villakram said:

Coming in the immediate aftermath of the Trump Presidency this is just deeply ironic

Â