U.S. Politics

maqroll

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why is he trying to **** jog up steps? Like, it's okay Joe, we get that you're old. Just walk slowly!

Yeah it's not like the plane is going to leave without him.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah it's not like the plane is going to leave without him.

Ironically when he got in his seat they had to sit on the tarmac for 4 days whilst they transported a pilot over from East Midlands Airport in a Taxi. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What happened to John Fashanu? Seems to have disappeared. 

He appeared on celebrity SAS Who Dares Wins last year, where he revealed himself to be a complete nutter when he totally lost his head and tried to choke out one of the other contestants in one of the tasks. Which in turn lead one of the instructors afterwards to say 'he's the first person I've ever seen where you wonder the what hell is going on in his head'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

He appeared on celebrity SAS Who Dares Wins last year, where he revealed himself to be a complete nutter when he totally lost his head and tried to choke out one of the other contestants in one of the tasks. Which in turn lead one of the instructors afterwards to say 'he's the first person I've ever seen where you wonder the what hell is going on in his head'.

Also showed little or no remorse when asked about his brother in the same program. A very peculiar individual indeed.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Trump-force One in a state of disrepair abandoned in an airfield in upstate New York.

05ef1c48226a4501bdd33c2f445fa781_md.jpg

They should use it for emergency services training exercises, setting fire to it on a weekly basis and generally shooting the shit out of it! 

• Haha 1

I'm curious to know whether the idea suggested by Bill Kristol here:

of Cuban annexation is an idea that has any actual institutional, think-tanks-kicking-it-around-type support, or if it's just purely expert trolling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm curious to know whether the idea suggested by Bill Kristol here:

of Cuban annexation is an idea that has any actual institutional, think-tanks-kicking-it-around-type support, or if it's just purely expert trolling.

House has already started moving a D.C. bill. I could see the US making a further play for Greenland (resource rich, people poor), and some cut out of the Arctic. Maybe make Guam a state to annoy China. Cuna has long historical links since they took it from the Spanish, Manifest Destiny and all that baggage too.

Equality... or some such. Silence from all the usual congressional suspects. 

I wonder who'll be the first to slyly mention taking in poor ol' Brexit. 

Edited by villakram
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, villakram said:

House has already started moving a D.C. bill. 

Given you follow this sort of thing, apart from the obvious objection from the side that would always lose it, are there any coherent reasons why it shouldn't be?

Edited by ml1dch

53 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Given you follow this sort of thing, apart from the obvious objection from the side that would always lose it, are there any coherent reasons why it shouldn't be?

I know you're not asking me, and I'm not trying to step on @villakram's shoes - I would like to hear his answer - but as I understand it, the main argument against is the one you have pre-empted (that it constitutes a kind of gerrymandering as Democrats would always win), but there is a common argument from people on the right that 'retrocession' would be better; this would incorporate DC into either Maryland or Virgina. There are different flavours of this suggestion; the first is the idea of completely incorporating the city in one of those states; the second is the idea of a 'shrunken DC', in which 'DC' becomes literally just the White House and the Capitol building and the associated buildings in the area, while the city joins one of the states; and the third is of DC remaining a separate administrative area but giving city residents the right to vote in congressional elections in either Maryland or Virginia. All of these ideas have their own administrative and logical problems, but they do have a certain simple logic to them ('why do you need to create a whole new state where you win all the time, if your main problem is a lack of congressional representation?')

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is also the issue with D.C., being the seat of power, already benefitting from implicit representation and that the appropriation of additional congressional representation would unfairly empower this particular federal construct. 

Â