U.S. Politics

maqroll

CNN ran a story yesterday about Trump earning lots of money from Presidential Pardons.  I didn't read it as I'd assumed it was just an extension of their anti Trump agenda (I'm not defending Trump but they are like to opposite of Fox so it's hard to know what to take seriously and what with a pinch of salt) 

However it reinforces what a ludicrous thing the whole Presidential pardon system is.  It's what you expect from a Banana Republic. I still can't believe it exists in USA. 

And it therefore is clearly open to abuse.  If they do have to exist, and evidence they've been paid for ought to immediately make them null and void and the former President face criminal charges. 

But not having them at all would be the better route. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

CNN ran a story yesterday about Trump earning lots of money from Presidential Pardons.  I didn't read it as I'd assumed it was just an extension of their anti Trump agenda (I'm not defending Trump but they are like to opposite of Fox so it's hard to know what to take seriously and what with a pinch of salt

However it reinforces what a ludicrous thing the whole Presidential pardon system is.  It's what you expect from a Banana Republic. I still can't believe it exists in USA. 

And it therefore is clearly open to abuse.  If they do have to exist, and evidence they've been paid for ought to immediately make them null and void and the former President face criminal charges. 

I don't think that's accurate. I think its fair to say that CNN are anti trump, but unlike Fox they still report the news and facts. Its just that those facts make Trump look like the word removed he is 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Fortunately it is illegal to pay for a pardon. It's just not illegal to pay someone to lobby for a pardon for you. And obviously no president would take that money via proxy. The Trump presidency has shown again and again the dangers of checks and balances assuming that the president will always act in good faith.

I agree with you though, presidential pardons are one of those things that make me wonder how their electorate accept that nonsense.

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think that's accurate. I think its fair to say that CNN are anti trump, but unlike Fox they still report the news and facts. Its just that those facts make Trump look like the word removed he is 

I've seen things reported on CNN which definitely seem shall we say exaggerated when I compared to the same story in British Press. 

Obviously Fox is to be ignored completely. 

Worryingly Murdoch is about to bring a Fox style channel to the UK to compete with another right wing channel led by Andrew Neil. 

CNN doesn't exactly have the greatest record for accuracy and they are definitely sensationalist. 

Here's what Media Bias Fact Check has to say about them:

CNN typically utilizes loaded emotional words in sensational headlines such as this: Trump pounces on Justice Department report findings. They usually source their news properly through credible reporters/journalists and through hyperlinking to credible media sources. However, CNN has failed several fact checks from Politifact. It should be noted that these fact checks were almost exclusively from guests on their numerous talk shows and not from the reporting of actual news, which tends to be factual. TV hosts have also failed fact checks by IFCN fact-checkers. Further, CNN has retracted published stories that have been deemed as lacking evidence. Finally, CNN has published misleading information regarding GMOs that utilize loaded fear-based headlines such as this: FDA allows genetically engineered ‘Frankenfish’ salmon to be imported to US. CNN has also utilized known purveyors of pseudoscience as experts on discussion panels such as the Food Babe.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cnn/

This is how they describe Fox News for comparison:

Fox News typically looks at the issues from a conservative perspective and also has a number of on-air personalities that are strong supporters of Trump, such as Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Tomi Lahren. FNC typically skews conservative as there is less criticism of Trump, therefore the majority of stories are pro-Trump.

In review, FNC publishes stories with emotionally loaded headlines such as “’They Wanted It to Blow Up’: Limbaugh Says Success of Trump-Kim Summit Caught Media Off Guard” and “Tucker: 2016 Russia Collusion ‘Witch Hunt’ Now Extends to Jill Stein.” When it comes to sourcing they typically utilize pro-Trump pundits such as Rush Limbaugh who has a very poor record with fact-checkers, as well as credible sources such as the Wall Street Journal. Fox News is also known to publish right-wing conspiracy theories, although after being sued they retracted the story. FNC has also been deemed the least accurate cable news source according to Politifact.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/

On 17/01/2021 at 03:53, bickster said:

GOP finances might have a sobering effect on the rest, big business is ditching Trump rapidly, add that to the NRA moving to bankruptcy, the Republicans are losing financial backers at a rapid rate of knots, especially since the Capitol Insurection and especially to those law makers openly supporting Trump

Bankruptcy does not mean one has no money or that the business is not in good shape. Bankruptcy is bad for you or me, not for corporate America.

They are simply re-organizing and moving to a more friendly regulatory environment in Texas, after taking a shoeing in recent years in NY. See also the exodus to Florida by the wealthy for similar reasons.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

CNN ran a story yesterday about Trump earning lots of money from Presidential Pardons.  I didn't read it as I'd assumed it was just an extension of their anti Trump agenda (I'm not defending Trump but they are like to opposite of Fox so it's hard to know what to take seriously and what with a pinch of salt) 

I believe the initial intention was akin to more ye lode tymes when the King would pardon a few lads from the hangman or other minor crimes on joyous occasions. Complete corruption nowdays.

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

Up to 20k troops in and around DC... to protect who from whom I wonder.

Imagine the reporting if Xi or Putin deployed the military in such a manner to protect their inauguration.  Strange times.

To protect from the people who broke into the centre of American government less than 2 weeks ago, obviously. Who are you implying they are protecting against?

What is the issue with protecting the inauguration when those same people are still posting threats online and it appears many plan to 'act'? 

Is Nancy Pelosi the secret head of the shadow JCS and the one really ordering the troops there?

Think anyone expecting scenes similar to what we saw in Russia in 1993 will be disappointed. But considering the calamity on Jan 6th and that Trump has a following of gun loving nutters you can't really blame them for putting out a strong force of police and national guard.

Then again I just read a thread on a Swedish forum where some dude was certain that the military that is deployed in Washington is actually there to round up the enemies of Trump as traitors and put them all in jail. It's called Operation Storm apparently :D So you never know...

9 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What is the issue with protecting the inauguration when those same people are still posting threats online and it appears many plan to 'act'? 

Is Nancy Pelosi the secret head of the shadow JCS and the one really ordering the troops there?

From the outside it looks like both Republican and Democrat Senators and Reps had the sh*t scared out of them as a consequence of the knobbers seditioning and breaking into their Guvmint House place - they appear to have all realised that the raving mob of these Trumpian blowhards, or at least a section of them are genuinely intent on violence and worse and doing it to them. They're for once facing the reality of what has been created, they saw it face to face (or at least via hiding in a cupboard in the next room) and they're scared personally, and professionally. Hence the SOP - call in the troops, lots of troops.

Was a bit of a scare a couple hours ago where smoke was seen in the area of Capitol Hill. Turns out is was a homeless guy who set fire to his shelter while heating some food.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

From the outside it looks like both Republican and Democrat Senators and Reps had the sh*t scared out of them as a consequence of the knobbers seditioning and breaking into their Guvmint House place - they appear to have all realised that the raving mob of these Trumpian blowhards, or at least a section of them are genuinely intent on violence and worse and doing it to them. They're for once facing the reality of what has been created, they saw it face to face (or at least via hiding in a cupboard in the next room) and they're scared personally, and professionally. Hence the SOP - call in the troops, lots of troops.

Yeah, it appears pretty straightforward. That's why I'm struggling with the insinuations!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Think anyone expecting scenes similar to what we saw in Russia in 1993 will be disappointed. But considering the calamity on Jan 6th and that Trump has a following of gun loving nutters you can't really blame them for putting out a strong force of police and national guard.

Then again I just read a thread on a Swedish forum where some dude was certain that the military that is deployed in Washington is actually there to round up the enemies of Trump as traitors and put them all in jail. It's called Operation Storm apparently :D So you never know...

The Storm is Upon Us! WWG1WGA! 

Edited by LondonLax

58 minutes ago, villakram said:

Imagine the reporting if Xi or Putin deployed the military in such a manner to protect their inauguration.  Strange times.

Nah you’re right, in fact why bother with security at all........

51 minutes ago, villakram said:

What a totally bizarre, and detached from reality take this is. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sne said:

Didn't Trump conduct Operation Storm years ago? I heard it cost him alot of hush money.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sne said:

Have you been on Flashback? Great entertainment value but a little scary that people believe that crap.

Just now, NoelVilla said:

Have you been on Flashback? Great entertainment value but a little scary that people believe that crap.

Yup! :D 

Have you read the thread? The guy who wrote the OP is an absolute airplane. He really believe this nonsense.

Â