U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

So if Trump pardoning the rioters is just a hypothetical, what probability would we assign it do we think?

It hardly seems out of character, I could definitely imagine him doing that as a final '**** you' on his final morning.

Me too. I think it fits perfectly with his character and previous actions. Not for any concern over the individuals either, just as you say, a **** you!

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So if Trump pardoning the rioters is just a hypothetical, what probability would we assign it do we think?

It hardly seems out of character, I could definitely imagine him doing that as a final '**** you' on his final morning.

If Trump pardoned the patriots who stormed the Capitol wouldn’t that directly damage his own impeachment case?

I think he’s far to selfish to consider it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

If Trump pardoned the patriots who stormed the Capitol wouldn’t that directly damage his own impeachment case?

My assumption is that the Dems in the Senate will end up dropping the impeachment case before they actually hold a trial to be honest. I suspect Biden is going to be leaning heavily on Schumer, saying that he doesn't want his 'first 100 days' (that they all obsess about) being taken up with a dragged-out trial of the guy who's just left office, and to be honest I think that would be the right decision.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, any Republicans sitting on the fence, of which I would guess there are quite a few would come down against him. 

He's already likely going bankrupt from all the noise I've seen about companies abandoning him.  He would definitely lose whoever remains with him now and I expect he desperately needs the pension and travel expenses. 

With his main benefactor dying last week I expect he's desperate not to endanger his financial position more. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

My assumption is that the Dems in the Senate will end up dropping the impeachment case before they actually hold a trial to be honest. I suspect Biden is going to be leaning heavily on Schumer, saying that he doesn't want his 'first 100 days' (that they all obsess about) being taken up with a dragged-out trial of the guy who's just left office, and to be honest I think that would be the right decision.

Yup. This is going to turn toxic. Trump can drag a senate trial out for some time as he is no longer limited by having to use WH council. Watch the republicans coalesce and go after Biden and Pelosi hard. 

Trump is highly unlikely to do anything remotely like blanket pardon the rioters. Ridiculous projection.

Also, read up on the John Sullivan character that was brought in and charged by the FBI yesterday. BLM/Antifa and 100% anti-trump. He was filming the shooting and has quite the online record (including his own CNN interviews). He is not the only such individual that was in the capital building. Complicates the narrative just a tad.

Edited by villakram

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

Also, read up on the John Sullivan character that was brought in and charged by the FBI yesterday. BLM/Antifa and 100% anti-trump. He was filming the shooting and has quite the online record (including his own CNN interviews). He is not the only such individual that was in the capital building. Complicates the narrative just a tad.

I don't see how it 'complicates' anything, really. The rally was a pro-Trump rally. There have now been more than 70 individuals charged with offences, all bar supposedly this one are clearly Trump supporters. The existence of one person who seems somewhat differently orientated doesn't change that, and it would be pure intellectual sophistry to pretend otherwise.

I appreciate that your response is likely to be 'well Republicans are seizing on it', but my response to that is 'well they would, wouldn't they'; furthermore, anyone pretending this was somehow a case of 'infiltration' is merely proving that they were never open to facing the honest truth about their actions in the first place. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, villakram said:

It doesn't really. In the same vein as the "narrative" of the protests in the spring and summer wasn't complicated by the presence of some anti-BLM people who were only there to fan the flames.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

They are actively, as of today, working to demonstrate there dis-association from the people who entered the capital building. Not their law&order supporters etc. 

Are they paying $20k a day to Guilliani again? Because if they aren't.... LOL

2 hours ago, villakram said:

no-country-for-old-men-2007-movie-still-2.jpg

John Sullivan, a self-described activist for racial justice who filmed the fatal shooting of the QAnon cultist Ashli Babbitt during the storming of the U.S. Capitol, was detained in Utah on Thursday on federal charges of interfering with efforts by the police to stop the riot.

https://theintercept.com/2021/01/14/capitol-riot-john-sullivan-ashli-babbitt/

20 minutes ago, maqroll said:

His arrest warrant makes for amusing reading

b.After the crowd broke through the last barricade, and as SULLIVAN and the others approach the Capitol Building, SULLIVAN can be heard in the video saying at various points: “There are so many people. Let’s go. This shit is ours! F*** yeah,” “We accomplished this shit. We did this together. F*** yeah! We are all a part of this history,” and “Let’s burn this shit down.c.Later, SULLIVAN’s video includes footage of individuals climbing a wall to reach a plaza just outside the Capitol Building entrance, as seen in the screenshot below. As individuals are climbing the wall, SULLIVAN can be heard saying, “You guys are f***ing savage. Let’s go!”

Bearing in mind you get the impression that Sullivan thinks he's doing the Feds a favour by giving them this footage voluntarily, he's one dumbass

• Like 1

Â