U.S. Politics

maqroll

51 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I caught the "farewell" speech from Melania . It's actually the first time I've heard her speak. Didn't even know she had a accent.

*would

Good of her to talk about all those things which she considers to be so important which are coincidentally all the things her husband spent 4 years destroying, ignoring or bulldozing through during the course of his presidency. 

It's like she hasn't seen what's been happening for 4 years.  So utterly detached from reality. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'm surprised Melania had the time to do a farewell speech, I imagine she'll be very busy lining up divorce lawyers.

I honestly she’ll put the job out to tender and then review the applications.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

What's the over/under on the Pardons today?

90? 100?

All the reports I read said 'hundreds', and if you start pardoning whole 'classes' of people (like Carter pardoning Vietnam draft dodgers and Obama pardoning a lot of non-violent federal drug offenders) then you rapidly get into the thousands or tens of thousands. Not sure if Trump is planning to pardon any 'classes' like that but he might be.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm surprised Melania had the time to do a farewell speech, I imagine she'll be very busy lining up divorce lawyers.

Interesting story on CNN today mentioned that she slept in the traditional Presidential bedroom but Donny slept in a separate room which they converted into a bedroom.

Seriously, what is the point of a trophy wife if you can't go crashing the custard truck? 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Parler Reappears thanks to two Russians. Thank God for Russians allowing free speech for Americans.

Parler Reappears With CEO Calling Full Return ‘Inevitable’

The site, which became unavailable after Amazon.com Inc. determined it had violated its terms of service, is using a hosting service from DDoS-Guard Corp. Public data associated with the Parler.com domain name shows that one of the internet servers it directs visitors to is routed via DDoS-Guard. Another server, specifically for routing Parler.com email but not website content, is an Outlook.com address, operated by Microsoft Corp.

A spokeswoman for DDoS-Guard said the company was not hosting Parler and declined to comment on what services it was providing to the social media app. It confirmed it did store customer data as part of its offering.

DDoS-Guard’s website lists an Edinburgh location for its registered office, though its two owners, Evgenii Marchenko and Aleksei Likhachev, live in Russia, according to documents filed with Companies House.

Parler’s domain name is now registered with Epik Inc., a website services company based in Sammamish, Washington, according to public records made available by internet regulator Icann. Epik is also the domain registrar for Gab, another less restrictive social networking site popular with the far right.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

What's the over/under on the Pardons today?

90? 100?

Apparently Obama gave 300+ pardons on his last day.  Trump will be less than that they think. 

More interesting however will be WHO he pardons.  I understand normally The Justice Department make the recommendations and it's not supposed to be for your cronies. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Apparently Obama gave 300+ pardons on his last day.  Trump will be less than that they think. 

We've talked about this a bit already, but it's pretty **** gross isn't it?

One the one hand, the president gets to unilaterally override the judiciary. And even if you accept he should have that power,  what's with this last day thing? Essentially "I don't think they should be in prison, but I've ignored my conscience and left them in there for months or years until I can free them with no political consequences". 

• Like 2

It's a bizarre law. On the one hand I can see it's value for compassionate cases or there seem to be likely miscarriages of justice but other bureaucracy might impede that following through, or for some who've been given absurdly long prison sentences - very common in america - relative to the crime committed etc, but honestly there's need to be some way to limit it. Like pardons  of any one convicted for fraud and political crimes ffs shouldn't be allowed. Or at the very least there should be a minimum term. If it's a short term, they serve the full whack anyway. But maybe it should only apply to sentences over 5 years or something like that.

Edited by Rodders

On 17/01/2021 at 12:47, sidcow said:

I'm sure there are a few who will have been utterly horrified by the scenes and will vote with their conscious

But I agree the loss of sponsorship from big corporations might be the bigger influence. The greatest democracy on earth won't give you enough votes to do anything unless you have multiple millions to spend on your campaign. 

Pro Trumpers are clearly going to struggle to get the cash. 

this is the GOP we're talking about ;)

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

We've talked about this a bit already, but it's pretty **** gross isn't it?

One the one hand, the president gets to unilaterally override the judiciary. And even if you accept he should have that power,  what's with this last day thing? Essentially "I don't think they should be in prison, but I've ignored my conscience and left them in there for months or years until I can free them with no political consequences". 

It's **** medieval is what it is.

15 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Hmmm. I follow your logic up until that point, however there are major differences between the Ayn Rand loving GOP, the nut job faction of the GOP and the Dems led by Biden. At least amongst a lot of Democratic representatives there is a strong sense that people who are disenfranchised by the Capitalist system should be given some sort of assistance which would go toward leveling the playing field. Also, Republicans who voted for Biden desire a reasonable level of competence in their administration over the absolute shit show of the last few years which culminated in the US having some of the worst Covid numbers in the world and the outgoing Presidents answer was that it was going to go away as long as the sun was out and we ingested some bleach. The 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps" GOP are essentially a White Supremacist party with no compassion for the impoverished communities who have suffered for generations in this country. The Trump nutjob wing is something even worse.

I believe that Biden is a compassionate human being. He's made mistakes politically for sure but his intention to rejoin the Paris Climate agreement and end the Trump draconian immigration policies with Executive Orders on Wednesday afternoon will go some way to reversing some of Trump administrations aberrations. (I hope those responsible will be tried in a court of law for the child separation policy.)

Perhaps in Europe you just see the US foreign policy and think that nothing changes.  But honestly, who would rather have the largest nuclear arsenal? Iran or the US? Since Trump, Iran is far closer to getting a bomb. Who do you want to control trade routes in Asia? China or US/European Allies under the protection of the US military? Hey Democracy/Capitalism/the US/ may be a long way from perfect but it's the best we've got. I'm happy to be told that I drunk the cool-aid but I came here as an immigrant, worked my ass off and now I achieved a lot of my goals. Now, I understand there is a lot of nuance in how that works for different people - but those white crackers who stormed the Capital the other  - what the f**k are they angry about? They weren't the economically disenfranchised. They were privileged middle class with too much  time on their hands and not enough critical thinking skills. They fell down internet holes thinking they were the smart ones because they found "Q." They need felonies on their records to wake them up to how good they have it. Work hard here, (and being white you have at least a 50% headstart) and you can be successful. 

You say nothing important changes. I disagree -  domestically and with fp.

Mistakes... Orwell weeps.

2 million imprisoned. I believe there was some fuss over the summer related to this. Biden was intimately involved in the construction of this system.

I wonder what the people of Iraq (for example) think about his mistakes?

I can't imagine how I could destroy so many lives and have it called a mistake and then be told "don't worry about it", because I'm a nice guy or something.

Â