U.S. Politics

maqroll

San Francisco based Democrats not doing the party's Covid messaging any favors recently- Pelosi, Newsom and the mayor of SF all caught flaunting their own protocols. Embarrassing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

San Francisco based Democrats not doing the party's Covid messaging any favors recently- Pelosi, Newsom and the mayor of SF all caught flaunting their own protocols. Embarrassing.

Pelosi the corporate overlord acting like an overlord, call me shocked.

The neo-libs are in total control of the Dem party now, with all that done by the organizing groups and others from the progressive wing given nothing but a pat on the head. What a fun game, do play again.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ok, fair point.

Really? I'm yet to see any credible evidence. For example, I'm not sure what to say about this 'star witness' for the Trump campaign yesterday in Michigan. At one point even Giuliani was trying to reign her in. For context the guy questioning her is a Republican.....

Well there's the large numbers of votes coming in for Biden in the morning hours for example. After the poll watchers were told the count was pausing for the night and to go home. There are many explanations for this (incompetence or simple shenanigans being the most likely), but outright fraud is one too, so it should be explained or else it will fester, e.g., see the fun & games from Michigan. That particular lady comes across as quite sane in this case!!!

Edited by villakram

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ok, fair point.

Really? I'm yet to see any credible evidence. For example, I'm not sure what to say about this 'star witness' for the Trump campaign yesterday in Michigan. At one point even Giuliani was trying to reign her in. For context the guy questioning her is a Republican.....

Her delayed eyebrow pump at 1:24  :crylaugh:

Say what you want about her non-existent relationship with the truth but that is some quality comedic timing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

If you treat a convention with disdain you are flouting it. If you make an ostentatious display of something then you are flaunting it. So why is this a problem? Mainly because people seem to have the habit of using flaunt to mean flout.

Merriam-Webster

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The only context in which 'flaunt' is ever really used these days is in the Daily Mail sidebar pervs claiming that various barely-legal slebs are 'flaunting their curves'.

Because you know this... *shakes head*

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

US is now reaching a 9/11 death toll every day with COVID (3k A DAY)

The last 24 hours broke records for most cases, most hospitalisations *and* most deaths apparently. The current 'wave' seems to be much less localised than previous ones, which is presumably a big factor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

Some perspective. USA is bang average.

Covid19 deaths per million as of today.

USA: 845

Mexico: 859

Peru: 1151

Brazil: 850

Argentina: 865

Belgium: 1653

UK: 934

Italy: 932

Spain: 929

France: 801

Not sure I'd call 11th worst in the world or 7th if you exclude tiny nations like Andorra, San Marino and a few more "bang average" but sure.

Fwiw there is 209 countries out of 220 on that list who's better off when it comes to deaths per million so maybe a tiny bit below average?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, villakram said:

Well there's the large numbers of votes coming in for Biden in the morning hours for example. After the poll watchers were told the count was pausing for the night and to go home. There are many explanations for this (incompetence or simple shenanigans being the most likely), but outright fraud is one too, so it should be explained or else it will fester, e.g., see the fun & games from Michigan

I've not been following al that closely, but your post seems (at face value) to contain some illogicalities:

If there's no one counting in the small hours, how would anyone know who the votes were for, until they were counted the next day? - a box of ballots turns up from a polling station to a counting station - this is entirely normal and part of the process. Voting ends, take ballot boxes to counting station. They don't all turn up at the same time. I heard that most of the on the day voter were more likely Trump voters, and more postal voter were likely Biden voters. Boxes arriving late would either be that day's ballots, or stored postal votes being moved all at once -  I don't see either shenanigans or incompetence as being the most likely reason at all. It sounds like (and maybe I don't either) the explanation is most people don't understand how the ballot collecting and counting system actually works in practice. I mean they count the "on the day" votes first, then they count the postal votes (because the Republicans made them do it that way). This is why the later arriving boxes would contain more Biden votes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I've not been following al that closely, but your post seems (at face value) to contain some illogicalities:

If there's no one counting in the small hours, how would anyone know who the votes were for, until they were counted the next day? - a box of ballots turns up from a polling station to a counting station - this is entirely normal and part of the process. Voting ends, take ballot boxes to counting station. They don't all turn up at the same time. I heard that most of the on the day voter were more likely Trump voters, and more postal voter were likely Biden voters. Boxes arriving late would either be that day's ballots, or stored postal votes being moved all at once -  I don't see either shenanigans or incompetence as being the most likely reason at all. It sounds like (and maybe I don't either) the explanation is most people don't understand how the ballot collecting and counting system actually works in practice. I mean they count the "on the day" votes first, then they count the postal votes (because the Republicans made them do it that way). This is why the later arriving boxes would contain more Biden votes. 

Exactly but, the point is some votes were added to totals after the count center people said counting was supposed to have stopped, in the wee hours of Nov 4th, not the next work day. Why/how/what? Like you and I think, they are most probably legitimate votes and some incompetence or shenanigans is involved, but these questions should simply not arise.

There is ambiguity is what was supposed to happen and hence people are questioning what actually happened. Some of these questions are valid and hence should be addressed. 

None of this should be an issue, if they bothered to do these things in a sensible manner.

Â