U.S. Politics

maqroll

Biden flipped Georgia, and Trump is doing all he can to sabotage the runoff. Both GOP candidates are openly corrupt. The only path to victory they have is bigotry and a fraying connection to King Donald. Money is pouring in to both Dem campaigns. They could pull this one off (insert GIF here). 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2020 at 23:38, TheAuthority said:

Education is important and Nye normally does a good job, but this is sloppy correlation/causation material, e.g., place a plot of covid deaths over a plot of mask wearing --> masks kill people with covid! --> masks cause covid!!!

In fairness, he did stick his head up and try.

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Biden flipped Georgia, and Trump is doing all he can to sabotage the runoff. Both GOP candidates are openly corrupt. The only path to victory they have is bigotry and a fraying connection to King Donald. Money is pouring in to both Dem campaigns. They could pull this one off (insert GIF here). 

The ongoing budget/bail-out talks will be very interesting with both sides firmly focussed on these races too. It would be nice if they legislated because the people of the country are suffering, but that's a bit naive I suppose.

Both seats are clearly in play, but a lot of time to go and a 1-1 split is still the favored outcome.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

a 1-1 split is still the favored outcome.

The racists in Georgia will be very motivated to save the white lady from the scary black guy, so yeah, I can see Osoff beating Perdue and Laughler beating Warnock. Of course, Osoff is Jewish, so the frothing rednecks will be motivated to defeat him, too.

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The racists in Georgia will be very motivated to save the white lady from the scary black guy, so yeah, I can see Osoff beating Perdue and Laughler beating Warnock. Of course, Osoff is Jewish, so the frothing rednecks will be motivated to defeat him, too.

Ah, but Jewish = Israel = biblical = anti-Muslim. 

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ah, but Jewish = Israel = biblical = anti-Muslim. 

Sure, but anti-semittism is rife among southern racist types, and Old Conservative Christian White Man sure beats Young Liberal Jewish Man among in their game of bigotted top trumps. 

Edited by Michelsen

4 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Sure, but anti-semittism is rife among southern racist types, and Old Conservative Christian White Man sure beats Young Liberal Jewish Man among in their game of bigotted top trumps. 

The evangelical community might have a thing or two to say about these comfortable tropes.

16 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Pardon?

There are a large number of those folks who are evangelical and they are quite fond of Israel and such, even though they may lament the demise of Jim Crow. The reality of the south is a lot more complex than portrayed.

49 minutes ago, villakram said:

There are a large number of those folks who are evangelical and they are quite fond of Israel and such, even though they may lament the demise of Jim Crow. The reality of the south is a lot more complex than portrayed.

No shit. Still, though, anti-semitism is a huge issue on the American far right, and has long traditions in southern racism. I still think my point is 100 % valid, and that Osoff’s judaism will be used against him by far more voters than will say «oh, good, a jew, I’ll vote for him, he probably hates the muslims as much as I do». I really can’t see being jewish being an electoral advantage in the American south. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Michelsen said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. American Protestantism, in particular South Evangelicalism, has a wierd death cult element to it (more so than other religions before anyone says anything), in that they believe for the second coming of Jesus to happen (and therefore the apocalypse/rapture in which they get taken to heaven) requires the Jewish people to have a homeland in Israel, which results in a strange type of Zionism in which they are simultaneously anti-Semitic and pro-Israel. So voting for a Jewish person only really becomes an issue when they don't align with the rest of the platform i.e. Bernie Sanders.

This is also partly why the US government is so pro-Israel, as those hard right Christian communities have such a massive influence on the way the US is run, particularly the Republican party.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. American Protestantism, in particular South Evangelicalism, has a wierd death cult element to it (more so than other religions before anyone says anything), in that they believe for the second coming of Jesus to happen (and therefore the apocalypse/rapture in which they get taken to heaven) requires the Jewish people to have a homeland in Israel, which results in a strange type of Zionism in which they are simultaneously anti-Semitic and pro-Israel. So voting for a Jewish person only really becomes an issue when they don't align with the rest of the platform i.e. Bernie Sanders.

This is also partly why the US government is so pro-Israel, as those hard right Christian communities have such a massive influence on the way the US is run, particularly the Republican party.

Yeah, all of that is true, but really doesn’t counter anything I said. See above for clarification, if needed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Yeah, all of that is true, but really doesn’t counter anything I said. See above for clarification, if needed. 

Yeah, fair, I only saw your reply to vliiakram after I posted. Although I would say that whilst there's a lot of anti-Semitism in the US right, I don't think it's a big enough issue for them that it would be a reason not to vote for someone anymore than them simply being a Democrat.

13 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Yeah, fair, I only saw your reply to vliiakram after I posted. Although I would say that whilst there's a lot of anti-Semitism in the US right, I don't think it's a big enough issue for them that it would be a reason not to vote for someone anymore than them simply being a Democrat.

And my initial point, if that wasn’t clear (I can see that it perhaps wasn’t), southern racists sure as heck aren’t going to vote for a Democrat because he’s jewish :) 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Are the Southern states of the US really just competing types of bigotry and religious extremism?

How does a modern democratic country get like this?

The short answer is piss poor public schools. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Are the Southern states of the US really just competing types of bigotry and religious extremism?

How does a modern democratic country get like this?

The US should not be one entity. Its doomed to fail in its current state 

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The US should not be one entity. Its doomed to fail in its current state 

Being from and currently living in New England which is a Blue stronghold with a cohesive identity separate from the rest of the country, I've often daydreamed about breaking off from the USA and forming our own republic. 

But there are huge hurdles to clear to achieving that, and it would seem pretty unlikely. Despite our reputation for a better educated populace with better health, and better markers in general of a higher standard of living than most of the country, we also have entrenched MAGA gun nuts who would not want to be ruled over by "elitist liberals" in Boston and Cambridge.

If you have armed right wingers who don't recognize the authority of their new government, you've got a problem. 

It might happen some day, but I won't be around to see it.

Â