U.S. Politics

maqroll

I'm considering leaving the country if Trump wins in November. I'm looking at Uruguay as a potential landing place. I can speak rudimentary Spanish, it's a stable country with a good climate, good standard of living, fairly liberal. Of course, because I'm from the US, they might not let me in! We have sunk so low.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 4

New England, along with New York and New Jersey, despite being the epicenter of the outbreak early on, are now more on par with European countries in terms of having a handle on it. Sadly, people who live here cannot travel to Europe because the other states are so derelict. I have European friends here who can't go home to visit family. God forbid any of their family gets sick because they wouldn't be able to fly back home. People who need to travel there for business can't. Absolute shambles.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, villakram said:

Perhaps you would be so good as to post the deaths chart, i.e., the one that really matters.

I wouldn’t get too cocky about the rate of deaths yet, it lags a spike in infection by about three weeks. Let’s check back in at the start of August. 

7 hours ago, villakram said:

Perhaps you would be so good as to post the deaths chart, i.e., the one that really matters.

because trump supporters are ubermensch or something?

the chart plays on the belief that trump supporters are stupid and not taking the virus seriously, not wearing the mask etc hence the increase is cases which might not be true but that graph is alarming, if the deaths graph showed something different im not sure what that would actually say other than democratic voters have underlying health problems 

Errr, the chart is the political beast here, designed to imply some sort os superiority based on the chosen statistic. I think that deaths are the (a) more relevant, and (b) more reliable statistic related to this disease. That this statistic tells almost the exact opposite story says more about the increasing wish of people to move beyond the pandemic and now use the current situation to advance various political/economic/social goals.

My issue with people losing their mind over covid19 has nothing to do with any of the Trumpian silliness. Lot's of projecting going on around here.

He’s got to be one of the worst personalities on the planet.

I don’t mean ‘celebrity personality’ or ‘pretend bad guy’, I mean he’s actually just a genuinely horrible person.

• Like 3

Does he even realize that Bubba Wallace wasn't the one who discovered it or made the complaint?   Is he supposed to apologize for being black and being distraught when people told him there was a noose in his garage?

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 08:42, HanoiVillan said:

Worth reading the whole thread (it doesn't get any saner):

I get so depressed when I read this kind of stuff and just despair at the 5000 people who 'like' what he's going on about. It always just leads me to the inevitable conclusion that the only answer is Sterilization Vans.

Edited by TheAuthority

4 hours ago, villakram said:

the chart is the political beast here, designed to imply some sort os superiority based on the chosen statistic. I think that deaths are the (a) more relevant, and (b) more reliable statistic related to this disease. That this statistic tells almost the exact opposite story..

The bit I agree with is a deaths chart is maybe more reliable/ accurate in telling the story. Though they lag the reality. The rest no. Deaths follow infections by about 3 weeks in terms of chart shape. They do not tell an opposite story. Neither deaths nor infection charts are political. They are numbers of medical records of deaths and positive infections. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The bit I agree with is a deaths chart is maybe more reliable/ accurate in telling the story. Though they lag the reality. The rest no. Deaths follow infections by about 3 weeks in terms of chart shape. They do not tell an opposite story. Neither deaths nor infection charts are political. They are numbers of medical records of deaths and positive infections. 

Sure a chart is an inanimate object, but dividing/identifying groups by their political affiliation is not political... ok?!?

Â