U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Has this been reported anywhere reputable?  Yes, yes it has, please feel free to ignore me.

Edited by Straggler
Me being dumber than a bag of bricks

What does the constitution say about deploying mercenaries on US soil? And what does it say if these guys are used against US citizens?

And who is paying them and has this been trough congress? Does it need to?

Also cute that the guy is wearing Under Armour under his armor. Just like Iron Man :rolleyes:

Edited by sne

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Come again? 

The value of the pound was completely trashed by a certain in event in 2016.  
Therefore an average wage of $50k translated as a lot higher to British people than it would have a few years ago.

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The value of the pound was completely trashed by a certain in event in 2016.  
Therefore an average wage of $50k translated as a lot higher to British people than it would have a few years ago.

But to me it seems high as a median value in the US. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But to me it seems high as a median value in the US. 

Haven’t checked, but could it be median household income?

A restaurant owner, a football star: the people killed as protests spread

Details of deaths in cities from Louisville to Oakland remain unclear, but many killed were African American

George Floyd killing – latest US updates

See all our George Floyd coverage

Associated Press

Wed 3 Jun 2020 02.23 BSTLast modified on Wed 3 Jun 2020 03.42 BST

Shares

Two women pray on Tuesday in Louisville, Kentucky, near the intersection where David McAtee was killed. Photograph: Darron Cummings/AP

One man was a retired St Louis police captain checking on his friend’s shop. Another was the beloved owner of a Louisville barbecue restaurant who provided free meals to officers. Yet another was a man known as “Mr Indianapolis”, a former star football player.

They are among those killed as protests have roiled American cities in the week since the death of George Floyd. Many of the people killed were African Americans, compounding the tragedy for black communities.

The death toll and circumstances of the killings are still being sorted out in many cities, but here is what we know so far:

St Louis, Missouri

David Dorn in 2008. Photograph: Scott Bandle/AP

A 77-year-old retired St Louis police captain who served 38 years on the force was shot and killed by looters at a pawn shop early Tuesday, authorities said.

David Dorn was found dead on the sidewalk in front of the ransacked store. No one has been arrested.

Dorn was a friend of the pawn shop’s owner and frequently checked on the business when alarms went off, his wife, Ann Marie Dorn, told the St Louis Post-Dispatch.

Dorn’s personality was “bigger than life”, said the former St Louis County police chief Tim Fitch. “He was a fun guy, a happy guy.”

FacebookTwitterPinterest

A memorial for David Dorn, a retired captain with the St Louis police department, who was killed early on Tuesday. Photograph: Colter Peterson/AP

Louisville, Kentucky

Police and the national guard troops trying to clear a crowd Monday heard gunshots and returned fire, killing David McAtee, the owner of a barbecue restaurant.

The mayor fired the police chief after finding out officers had not turned on their body-worn cameras.

McAtee was a 53-year-old African American man known for offering free meals to officers who stopped by his restaurant.

Kentucky police chief fired after shooting kills barbecue restaurant owner

Read more

“We lost a wonderful citizen,” the mayor, Greg Fischer, said. “David was a friend to many, a well-known barbecue man.”

The acting police chief, Robert Schroeder, said on Tuesday that video from security cameras at McAtee’s business and an adjoining store showed McAtee firing a gun as officers approached.

“This video does not provide all the answers. But we are releasing it to provide transparency,” Schroeder said.

The protests also have centered on the death of Breonna Taylor, a black woman killed in her Louisville home in March as narcotics detectives serving a search warrant knocked down her door. No drugs were found.

Oakland, California

A federal officer was providing security at a US courthouse during a protest when someone fired shots from a vehicle. Dave Patrick Underwood, 53, died and another officer was critically wounded.

Underwood, who was black, and the other officer were contracted security officers employed by the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Protective Service. It wasn’t immediately clear if the drive-by shooting was related to the protests, though the federal building’s glass doors were smashed and the front entrance was sprayed with anti-police graffiti. No one has been arrested.

Indianapolis, Indiana

Two people were killed this past weekend amid unrest, including 38-year-old Chris Beaty, a former offensive lineman for Indiana University.

Beaty was known as “Mr Indianapolis” and remained involved with the Hoosiers long after graduation. He also was a prominent businessman, running multiple nightclubs.

“I am at a loss for words. The news of the passing of Chris Beaty is just devastating,” coach Tom Allen said in a statement.

The circumstances of Beaty’s shooting weren’t immediately clear, but some media reports said it happened near his apartment. It came the same night an 18-year-old man was fatally shot as protests erupted in the city.

Davenport, Iowa

Italia Marie Kelly. Photograph: Italia Marie Kelly/AP

Police are investigating the deaths of 22-year-old Italia Kelly, who was shot Monday while leaving a protest outside a Walmart, and of a man found near where suspects exchanged gunfire with police.

Kelly and a friend were getting in a vehicle to leave because a protest had turned unruly when she was struck in the back by a bullet, said her aunt, Amy Hale of Atchison, Kansas. No arrests have been made.

“She was always smiling, always laughing. That’s why it’s so sad that she was taken in such a violent way,” Hale said. “That is not Italia. She was the bright, bubbly big personality in the room.”

Minneapolis, Minnesota

FacebookTwitterPinterest

A building destroyed in Minneapolis. Photograph: Scott Olson/Getty Images

In what is believed to be the first killing since the protests broke out, Calvin L Horton Jr was fatally shot outside a pawn shop last week.

The owner of the pawn shop, who is white, was arrested in the death of Horton, a 43-year-old black man. Police say they are investigating the circumstances of the killing, including whether it was related to protests in the neighborhood.

The shop was described as having been significantly damaged during the unrest.

Omaha, Nebraska

James Scurlock, a 22-year-old black man, was killed on Saturday after authorities said he tussled with the owner of two downtown bars. Surveillance video of the strip of bars shows a clash among of a group of people, including Scurlock and Jake Gardner, the white bar owner.

Two people shove Gardner to the ground, and he fires shots in the air. Seconds later, Scurlock is seen jumping on Gardner, who then fires the gun over his shoulder, striking Scurlock.

Authorities have declined to press charges in the death, calling the shooting self-defense. But Gardner could still face misdemeanor gun charges because his concealed carry permit for the gun had expired, the police chief said.

Detroit, Michigan

A 21-year-old man was killed in downtown Detroit after someone fired shots into a vehicle during a protest. According to a police report, the man was sitting in the driver’s seat of a car in a parking lot with two others when someone opened fire and then ran away.

Chicago, Illinois

Two people were killed during unrest Monday in the suburb of Cicero, according to a town official. A spokesman, Ray Hanania, did not provide details about those who were killed but said it had happened during protests.

This is just as bad for me. Disgusting. Looters killing a black man 

Edited by Demitri_C

It took 3 years. We shouldn't be surprised though.  Trump told us who he is in his campaign.  He didn't hide the racism, he flaunted it, he didn't shun the violence he encouraged it. He was as obviously as devoid of intelligence and empathy as he was inflated by an undeserved ego.  His lies were many and obvious, his promises of greatness as empty as his plans to deliver it.  His life of grifting, crime, bankruptcy and loyalty to only himself was there to see on full view.  He abused everyone around him and failed upwards.

I've heard people say that the majority of Americans did not vote for Trump.  I do hear that, but America has built and fiercely guarded a system that is designed to promote people like him into power.  It is a condemnation of the opposition to Trump that they were so unpalatable to the American people that a man so obviously unfit to lead ended up where he is.  There is a swamp in Washington, the people of America are turning a very harsh light on it right now and sadly seeing that the swamp is the only thing left that has bipartisan support. Trump needs to go, but when the only other option is Biden all you are doing is voting for more of the same with a more effective delivery of pretending to care.  Biden will follow the rules of the establishment, but how does that help when the establishment is the problem?  I do think Biden is better, but his campaign too has been littered with outrageous lies, racial insensitivity.  Better than Trump is a low bar and only just clearing it is simply not good enough. 

2016 to now has been tough on the mental health. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Did he ever build that wall?

That's what his entire campaign appeared that be to me.

Also, slandering Hillary.

A human wall by the looks of it. Not sure that counts?

Edited by sne

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Did he ever build that wall?

That's what his entire campaign appeared that be to me.

Also, slandering Hillary.

Wikipedia Link

On December 17, 2019, acting Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection Mark Morgan stated that 93 miles of barriers has been built during the Trump administration; according to CBP figures, at least 90 miles of that replaced existing structures.[13] A private organization called We Build the Wall has constructed 0.5 miles (0.80 km) of new wall on private property near El Paso, Texas, with Trump's encouragement.

If you go down further the page, it gives you a table of the progress of each section of wall. Most of what has been completed has been replacement wall for what was already there. Only 3 miles is "new". That'll stop those pesky Mexicans... 

Despite it being 3 1/2 years, I still cannot get my head around the fact that he is president. 

Edited by cyrusr
  • Like 1

yeah but Clinton's emails!!!

I would guess that the campaign of fear isn't going to change because of these riots, if anything its going to get worse, I imagine the word "protect" will come up a lot in speeches all trump has to do is pick an enemy, any enemy, and declare why he will protect America from them better than his opposition can and he'll win, which seeing as he has this unhinged shoot from the hip childish loud mouth bullish mentality its hard to believe that any president would do a better job at that 

all the other guy has to do is convince the americans of the truth that their biggest enemy is actually themselves...good luck with that

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is just as bad for me. Disgusting. Looters killing a black man 

It is dreadful, but unfortunately murder of individuals is a daily occurrence so it simply isn't as shocking.

The reason it isn't as bad for me is that there are power structures behind what Trump is doing. I feel for the guy's family and it's a dreadful way to go trying to stop some opportunistic scumbags. The difference is you are supposed to be able to trust the police. "To Protect and Serve". They're just as bad as the other thugs, it's amplified because they're able to do it in uniforms with the full support of the president.

Police using deadly force in America isn't exactly a new concept, but seeing the sheer violence the police are using against peaceful protestors at the moment is something quite shocking,  at least in my lifetime. Add to that  the press are being targeted, cameras broken etc then it's truly dystopian.

The President mobilising the army against his own people is unheard of. Add in suspicions he may be using mercenaries with no accountability and it's absolutely terrifying.

Â