U.S. Politics

maqroll

Warren is smart to side with the DNC and not Bernie. I like Bernie. His ideas are not radical and I think he could do some good, but I just don't see how he could ever implement them in a 4 year presidency. I think Biden's plan of expanding the affordable care act is smart and building on it. Plus I worry that a bernie presidency will just ignite the right to vote like a trump presidency did for the left. People like Biden idk why, but that is good for politics. I do worry that Biden isn't all there in his head, but it's not like Trump is either. 

29 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I dislike a lot of the stuff I read on twitter and reddit saying the DNC is rigging the election again. No they are not. The candidates don't want Bernie so they made the logical choice to rally behind one candidate. That isn't rigging an election. They just want their guy to win. 

I agree. Bernie could have won it If all candidates stayed in the race longer. In that scenario nobody would say anything about the DNC rigging anything. The current situation just shows there are lot more moderate democrats than left leaning. I consider the bloomberg and warren voters on the same level, so that doesn’t make a difference (Gabbard is irrelevant).

complaints about ‘rigging’ the primaries are incorrect and mostly coming from people who feel Sanders is about to lose it and they can’t handle it. It has just become a left vs. Moderate election and the moderates are in greater number.

• Like 1

Bernie > Biden > Trump

Would probably not be much of a contest anywhere else in the world, save for Russia. 

To be honest, even if Dems beat Reps in presidential election, it won't matter much if the Dems don't win the Senate and/or lose the House.

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

To be honest, even if Dems beat Reps in presidential election, it won't matter much if the Dems don't win the Senate and/or lose the House.

I think this is the main reason most of the moderate candidates have consolidated around biden. If it is Bernie, then they might face some problems in the more conservative (less liberal/progressive) parts of the country and could backfire. 

• Like 2

Joe Biden

For the Iraq war (v2 in 2003).

For repeal of Glass Steagall.

For the 1994 Violent Crime and Law Enforcement Act.

Intimately involved in confirming Thomas to the S.C.

It might be worth noting that Clinton had her hands all over the first 3 also.

Moderates are easier for democrats to elect, especially well liked moderates like Biden. Senators and congressmen/women fear that a Bernie presidency would make them lose their seats to republicans whereas a Biden presidency won't really cause alarm. 

Biden isn't a bad candidate too. He has a lot of progressive ideas that get shadowed by Bernie's because Bernie's are more radical. I think Biden will beat Trump pretty easily. I am sure Trump will spew his typical nonsense but I don't think it will work. My biggest concern is Trump will force the republican senators to open an investigation into Biden just to make Biden look bad/tie up his time. 

27 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think this is the main reason most of the moderate candidates have consolidated around biden. If it is Bernie, then they might face some problems in the more conservative (less liberal/progressive) parts of the country and could backfire. 

Sadly this could be right, or certainly is the thinking behind the moderates falling in line behind Biden.

Like clockwork, Ukraine opens investigation into Biden.

Meanwhile, Biden Jr. continues digging a large hole in the paternity case with a stripper, which he lost (Cocaine is a hell of a drug!) and is acting really stupidly in not just ponying up to make this go away. 

In under two months, Mike Bloomberg spent half a billion dollars, all for the right to get humiliated on national television. Our political system is so obscene to have even allowed him to buy his way into the running. Just like Trump did last time. Every rich asshole with a little name recognition will be lining up for the next one. Sick.

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Warren officially out.

Saw this today and found it interesting:

This is an extremely dumb thing for 'voters' to do, but obviously being angry at 'voters' is like being angry at the weather, so 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So at the next election, Trump is going to be the youngest candidate at 74.The democrats are putting forward candidates who'd end a first term in office in their 80s...

For additional context, Bill Clinton, whose eight year stint ended two decades ago is still five years younger than the two Democrats candidates. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Warren officially out.

We'll have to wait longer for the first native American president. 

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I keep reading comments like 'but no impropriety has ever been implied!' but is there anyone in the world who thinks Hunter Biden was hired for his strategic understanding of the Ukrainian energy market? 

In the spirit of bipartisanship, of course Trump's clan are every bit as bad, and then several times worse:

• Like 1

Biden is moderate and therefore "electable", but he's clearly losing his marbles and has a long, storied history of stuff that Trump will be able to attack him on.

Sanders has been a progressive champion for his entire career. I also don't agree that you don't elect Sanders because it's too hard to get his ideas through the house and the senate. You don't start a negotiation by finding the middle ground, you find the middle ground at the end.

The Democrats tried their moderate against Trump in Hillary, who had more baggage but was also a lot more popular than Biden. Time to try something different.

• Like 2

A bit Watergate-ish but this too shall pass. Like water off a duck.

So much interesting stuff in this article.

Erik Prince Recruits Ex-Spies to Help Infiltrate Liberal Groups

Mr. Prince, a contractor close to the Trump administration, contacted veteran spies for operations by Project Veritas, the conservative group known for conducting stings on news organizations and other groups.

Erik Prince, the security contractor with close ties to the Trump administration, has in recent years helped recruit former American and British spies for secretive intelligence-gathering operations that included infiltrating Democratic congressional campaigns, labor organizations and other groups considered hostile to the Trump agenda, according to interviews and documents                                        

One of the former spies, an ex-MI6 officer named Richard Seddon, helped run a 2017 operation to copy files and record conversations in a Michigan office of the American Federation of Teachers, one of the largest teachers’ unions in the nation. Mr. Seddon directed an undercover operative to secretly tape the union’s local leaders and try to gather information that could be made public to damage the organization, documents show.

:snip::snip::snip:

Randi Weingarten, the president of the American Federation of Teachers, said in a statement: “Let’s be clear who the wrongdoer is here: Project Veritas used a fake intern to lie her way into our Michigan office, to steal documents and to spy — and they got caught. We’re just trying to hold them accountable for this industrial espionage.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/us/politics/erik-prince-project-veritas.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by sne

Â