U.S. Politics

maqroll

8 hours ago, Michelsen said:

How so? I quite like him. His podcast is very interesting, I think, and doesn’t at all strike me as an apparatus for the corporate liberal establishment. 

He has moments of lucidity but for the most part he toes the line from what I've seen of him.

A win for reason in Colorado but one passage caught my eye. 

Colorado House, in late-night vote, passes death penalty repeal – governor could sign bill Wednesday

Colorado House lawmakers on Tuesday voted to repeal the state's death penalty after a lengthy 11-hour debate, clearing one of the last hurdles before the controversial bill becomes law. The vote from bleary-eyed lawmakers finally came around 4 a.m. after Republicans repeatedly tried to slow the process by making lengthy speeches or bringing unsuccessful amendments up for a vote.

Republican Rep. Steve Humphrey spent nearly 40 minutes reading from the Bible. 

At one point, Republicans forced two hours of debate on whether voters, not lawmakers, should be able to decide whether capital punishment should be legalized in the state.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colorado-death-penalty-repeal

Only in America :crylaugh:

Edited by sne

...and so it continues, a report doing the rounds this morn with some Democrat insiders/senior people including super-delegates (a specific number of 97 was quoted) saying that they would be willing to see short term harm happen to the democratic party in order to prevent Sanders becoming the nominee and doing "long-term damage" to the Democratic Party (tm).

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, villakram said:

...and so it continues, a report doing the rounds this morn with some Democrat insiders/senior people including super-delegates (a specific number of 97 was quoted) saying that they would be willing to see short term harm happen to the democratic party in order to prevent Sanders becoming the nominee and doing "long-term damage" to the Democratic Party (tm).

Meaning they’d rather have Trump than Bernie. Not surprising, yet still utter madness. 

• Like 3

Trump, tonight in South Carolina:

“Whether it is the virus that we're talking about or many other public health threats, the Democrat policy of open borders is a direct threat to the health and well-being of all Americans. Now, you see it with the coronavirus. You see it. You see it with the coronavirus. You see that. When you have this virus or any other virus or any other problem coming in, it's not the only thing that comes in through the border and we are setting records now at the border.” 

• Confused 1

I sometimes listen to the Weeds podcast that Vox do, where they talk about politics quite analytically and from a more practical perspective, and in the most recent episode, which addresses whether Bernie is 'electable' or not and what that means, they also talk about the filibuster, and this comment struck me as just so, so telling about how American politics works:

'. . .That fact, that the filibuster would prevent them from enacting an Elizabeth Warren agenda, is I think one of the reasons why Democratic senators will be happy to keep the filibuster, right, I mean . . . I have spoken to a couple of members of the United States Senate [meaning Dem senators] and they will say very clearly that, you know, they are not excited about enacting the Bernie Sanders $60trn in new spending that we were discussing previously, but that they would also not want to fight President Sanders about all that, but that they are very comfortable with a reality in which he is the President, he gets to keep talking about how he believes healthcare should be a right, and there is no bill, because, you know, there just can't be, because that suits them very well, and that in fact it makes them feel more reassured about being able to campaign for the ticket and, you know, be happy Democrats, knowing that all this stuff is kind of moot . . .'

Podcast can be found here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/weeds-2020-the-bernie-electability-debate/id1042433083?i=1000467033854

During this national (indeed international) emergency, Trump took time out of his schedule to attend CPAC, the 'Conservative Political Action Conference', a sort of jamboree for conservatives and Reublicans. Ever mindful of the need to be a 'father of the nation figure' at this time, Trump took it particularly seriously:

Etc etc.

On 01/03/2020 at 05:54, TheAuthority said:

Years of poor education, reality TV, and even less hope in our consumer driven society has led to this.  I just don't know what the way back is.

This is the crux of absolutely everything.

The billionaires have created a horde of mouth-breathing drones.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Pete dropped out, no-one noticed

Yes, but is America ready for a gay President? A first Husband?

Etc etc.

They might notice he's dropped out in a week, after musing on the above for another few days.

This is basically a ritual suicide taking place over months. There's not a chance any of them will displace Trump.

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, there is. 

I'm yet to be convinced.

If Sanders gets the nomination he'll get the Corbyn treatment, but ten fold. He's getting a few of them already and it's barely begun.

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm yet to be convinced.

If Sanders gets the nomination he'll get the Corbyn treatment, but ten fold. He's getting a few of them already and it's barely begun.

There is absolutely 'a chance' of whoever winning. The basic fact of polarisation is that many many fewer voters split their tickets than 30 or 40 years ago, which means even objectively bad candidates like Donald Trump can still get 45%+ of the vote. 

In addition, measures of Donald Trump's popularity do not suggest that he is an invincible titan against whom nobody would have a chance. He has a weak approval rating, lower than all previous incumbents at this point in their presidency except Bush the Elder and Truman. Hypothetical polling matchups between Trump and Biden and Trump and Sanders suggest both would be competitive races. 

I'm not saying that the Democrat will win; it's entirely possible that Trump will win. But to say 'there's not a chance' just isn't correct, there is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'm yet to be convinced.

Not so sure

There was a series of polls done a while back that indicated that if the Dems wanted to win, Sanders was the candidate they had to go with, his figures vs trump were the best

Add that to the fact that Trump did not win the Popular Vote the first time and second term presidents rarely if ever get the numbers as high second time around, there is every chance you aren't correct in your predicition

• Like 1

Exactly, he got what 48% of the vote last time (yes I know FPTP) and surely he won't have won over many Democratic voters with the way he has acted?  Same with many floating voters, and anyone who leant him their vote last time but might regret it.  I don't know how much of a swing and where the Democrats need to topple him though.

Â