U.S. Politics

maqroll

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Great result, as testing for coronavirus is to become free for all Americans, regardless of their insurance status:

(assuming this actually happens, of course, but the commitment is made here).

That'll cost them $600,000,000 should 20% of the population be tested. Tax payer money?

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, they won't raise taxes to pay for it.

How does it work then?

Private labs have invested millions in the USA in developing facilities and means for testing patients, some private labs are seeing over 100 people per day, and are expected to receive permission for up to 1000 people per day to walk through their doors. Are these private labs just investing millions for the sake of humanity? What is the USA going to do when they're already reliant on these privately run facilities to cope with testing?

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

How does it work then?

Private labs have invested millions in the USA in developing facilities and means for testing patients, some private labs are seeing over 100 people per day, and are expected to receive permission for up to 1000 people per day to walk through their doors. Are these private labs just investing millions for the sake of humanity? What is the USA going to do when they're already reliant on these privately run facilities to cope with testing?

Deficit financed spending; the government will be paying, just not through tax increases.

• Thanks 1

Sorry I'm probably being a dumbass as well as a pain in the ass, but I've only discovered this virus in the last few days, never mind paying it any attention, and it's a little perplexing now I have tuned in.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Sorry I'm probably being a dumbass as well as a pain in the ass, but I've only discovered this virus in the last few days, never mind paying it any attention, and it's a little perplexing now I have tuned in.

No, don't worry, you're not being a pain. It's good to want to know more about things!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, don't worry, you're not being a pain. It's good to want to know more about things!

Thanks. A few minutes of googling and I'm under the impression that it's more money for the bankster gangsters at the end of the day.

I think I'm going to take a break from all this coronavirus business, get some fresh air, and hope that I'm just on the hunt for bad news right now and it's not as bleak as it seems to me.

48 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Thanks. A few minutes of googling and I'm under the impression that it's more money for the bankster gangsters at the end of the day.

I think I'm going to take a break from all this coronavirus business, get some fresh air, and hope that I'm just on the hunt for bad news right now and it's not as bleak as it seems to me.

I understand your cynicism, but I think this is unqualified good news (however expensive it may be). If you want to know how many people are sick, you can't set barriers to finding out that many people cannot afford. The virus doesn't only target the rich, it also targets those who could not afford to pay for a test.

Of course an alternative approach is to keep prohibitive costs to performing the tests, and then just accepting that you will have incomplete or bad data. I think the reasons why that would be a sub-optimal choice for a pandemic response are pretty clear.

(I will admit that it will be difficult to run as many tests as are needed, due to the Trump administration's incompetence, that meant America was one of the last countries ordering the tests, and which now means they have to ration them for the time being).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Don't go outside!

That's actually exactly what I need! I've spent the day off reading about all sorts of fun facts that aren't much fun at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

That's actually exactly what I need! I've spent the day off reading about all sorts of fun facts that aren't much fun at all.

It's Friday the 13th, nothing could possibly go wrong.

• Like 1

With so many people dying all over the world can't they just not buy one or two stealth bombers or something and take the money from there?

Surely enough "future terrorists" will die from the virus anyway so the US can skip bombing a few villages?

40 minutes ago, sne said:

With so many people dying all over the world can't they just not buy one or two stealth bombers or something and take the money from there?

Surely enough "future terrorists" will die from the virus anyway so the US can skip bombing a few villages?

The point of buying the bombers isn't being able to bomb villages, the bombers are a device to move public money into the hands of a private company that lobbies very hard to get that money. We can't let a bit of sickness get in the way of good honest business - that'd be un-American. Communist.

• Like 2

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

The point of buying the bombers isn't being able to bomb villages, the bombers are a device to move public money into the hands of a private company that lobbies very hard to get that money. We can't let a bit of sickness get in the way of good honest business - that'd be un-American. Communist.

Ah, yes of course. Silly me.

That's the communist in me as a Swede talking there :D 

• Haha 1

I would not be surprised if Trump has caught the virus, being at a dinner with a Brazilian that has testet positive.

Imagine if he is is giving the whole establishment the virus! Who would have thought that was his way of draining the swamp?

Edited by DeepDish
  • Haha 1

Â