U.S. Politics

maqroll

this is a question for our american brothers.why is it that trump is not a republican but was able to get the nomination, and that bernie sanders-who i understand is an independent congressman-was able to run for the democratic nomination. 

I may be wrong but provided you're prepared to join as a member anyone could potentially run as a nominee if they managed to build support.

Bernie isn't really a Democrat but his views align with theirs roughly so for convenience he aligned with them to run. He's reverted to Independent already.

Trump has been wherever is good for Trump to be. He's been a Democrat, Republican more than once, Reform and I think Independent. His views where they have any consistency align with Republican ideas, so he went for that.

• Like 2

Full court press  from the establishment against Trump right now. It's gonna be really interesting to see how he gets through this because they're gonna run out of bullets way before the election if they're not careful.

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I assume the reason so few run as independents is the eye-watering cost of staging a campaign. 

The cost, the difficulty of gaining ballot access in a meaningful number of states, and the vanishingly low likelihood of winning. 

in theory, this latest wikileaks release should damage clinton badly. lets see if trump can stay out of his own way long enough to let the damage sink her.

either way, the people lose

Is America as institutionally racist as it appears to be?

From the outside, minorities appear to have lesser access to a good education, little welfare and health care support, victimisation from police and the courts, are politically disenfranchised and cultural excluded. I'm just going on what I've seen from the outside and wouldn't expect that the whole or the US is like this, it's a huge country.

It's been playing on my mind and I wondered if anyone with experience would give me their acedotal experience and opinion.

6 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

From the outside, minorities appear to have lesser access to a good education, little welfare and health care support, victimisation from police and the courts, are politically disenfranchised and cultural excluded. I'm just going on what I've seen from the outside and wouldn't expect that the whole or the US is like this, it's a huge country.

It's been playing on my mind and I wondered if anyone with experience would give me their acedotal experience and opinion.

So a little back story, context, history. You might have heard of the battle of Wounded Knee? U.S. Cavalry massacred around about 200 Sioux Indians. Any idea of the date? It was 1890. Not way back in time, 1890, a good while after the formation of Aston Villa for a little perspective on time.

Last recorded killing of native Indians vs 'cowboys' was in Nevada, 1911. We were heading for World War 1, building juggernauts and on the verge of military aircraft. The U.S. still had cowboys and Indians disputes.

Rosa Parks, the lady told to go to the back of the bus that triggered civil rights protests. She died in 2005. Not exactly ancient history..But it's a big and diverse place, so you can't just slap a one size fits all label on it.

----

As a late edit, the above isn't meant to be an all out crit of the U.S.. More, it's a reminder that it's a fairly young country that has had to make up a lot of it's rules as it's gone along. It's had a civil war, mass immigration (obviously), and all the problems that beset everyone else with depressions and booms and wars etc., whilst still trying to work out what it was for. If it goes insular it gets criticism for not helping maintain a certain world order. If it gets involved it gets criticism for being self appointed world policeman with an imperfect record at home.

In 1949 / 50 there were still 30 states in the U.S. where inter racial sex or marriage was illegal. So that's 5 years after they fought against Germany's ideas on racial superiority, a white guy still couldn't marry a black woman. Black troops that had fought for freedom in europe returned home to racial segregation. In towns around the UK that had American soldiers posted during the war, they had to designate white chip shops and black chip shops, for that last fast food before heading out to liberate people.

I guess this stuff takes a while. Which makes it slightly annoying that anyone could possibly think that once you topple a dictator, the people will just sort themselves out and get along like a coca cola advert.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

In 1949 / 50 there were still 30 states in the U.S. where inter racial sex or marriage was illegal. So that's 5 years after they fought against Germany's ideas on racial superiority, a white guy still couldn't marry a black woman. Black troops that had fought for freedom in europe returned home to racial segregation. 

The U.S. armed forces were themselves segregated. Black soldiers got put into all-black support units, doing stuff like driving supply trucks, digging holes, cleaing latrines. They weren't deemed capable/worthy of actual combat roles. A number of black soldiers vigorously contested this (see also The Tuskegee Airmen) and managed to get front line action, but it was rare. British pubs were segregated on US orders, but when black soldiers broke the rules and drank in 'white' pubs, they got savagely beaten my their own military police - invariably, British locals defended them, and some pretty major fights happened. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I was raised around DC(Northern Virginia) and now go to uni in southern Virginia, and there is a miles difference between what is considered "the north" and the south. My High School was so culturally diverse, people of almost every descent. In the south, i've definitely seen a bigger separation between whites and everyone else. The "North" is way more culturally inclusive than the south, and most major cities are inclusive. 

It's beyond a joke and is legitimately terrifying now.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/09/trump-gun-owners-clinton-judges-second-amendment

Donald Trump has been accused of a making an “assassination threat” against rival Hillary Clinton, plunging his presidential campaign into a fresh crisis.

The volatile Republican nominee was speaking at a rally in Wilmington, North Carolina, about the next president’s power to appoint supreme court justices. “Hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish, the second amendment,” said Trump, eliciting boos from the crowd.This is Donald Trump at his lowest yet: a man hinting at murder.

“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the second amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know. But I’ll tell you what, that will be a horrible day.”

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Criticize Trump all you want but what the bloody hell do you think that means other than the people bear arms so the the pollys don't screw with them. This is simply the logical extension of having a 200 year old document that is interpreted literally.

17 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

It wont be boring with Trump as the new president, that's for sure.

No it won't. Thank god there's not a chance in hell in it happening.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â