U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

If I lived in a country where my kids' teachers were carrying firearms with which to engage in classroom gunfights with armed intruders, I'd be seriously considering leaving that country. 

This is a very one-sided picture.

I must point out that in ALL instances of mass shootings of schoolchildren in the USA, only a minority of children have been killed, and most of those attending school that day have survived.

Also, for those parents whose child has sustained life-changing injury, the parents have a LEGAL RIGHT to launch a crowdfunder towards the cost of medical treatment,  so that if the injuries are not too extensive and the crowdfunder is sufficiently appealing, there is a chance the parents will not face bankruptcy caused by medical bills.

A bit of balance would be nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brumerican said:

His Aide.

But that means Stone's not far off.

Apologies, yes the aide Andrew Miller, not Stone

Trump Tower Doorman released from Catch and Kill contract with National Enquirer now too

A former Trump World Tower doorman who says he has knowledge of an alleged affair President Donald Trump had with an ex-housekeeper, which resulted in a child, is now able to talk about a contract he entered with American Media Inc. that had prohibited him from discussing the matter with anyone, according to his attorney.

On Friday, Marc Held -- the attorney for Dino Sajudin, the former doorman -- said his client had been released from his contract with AMI, the parent company of the National Enquirer, "recently" after back-and-forth discussions with AMI.
CNN has exclusively obtained a copy of the "source agreement" between Sajudin and AMI, which is owned by David Pecker.

More on CNN link including a PDF Scan of the contract itself

The House of Cards is tumbling down now

21 hours ago, peterms said:

I'm not sure it makes sense any longer to try to understand it as a legal or political process.  It all seems like a constructed tv show.  The Apprentice, maybe, or Big Brother but with less dignity.

And his defence in that quote was for me almost a confession of that - the threat being that the TV show and the drama is terrific fun for the plebs, but if you actually impeach me it'll affect people the the market, the things that matter. It wasn't a warning to the voter, the viewer or the public, it was a warning to the few billionaires that make the decisions. In fairness, he's making them a lot of money whilst deflecting all of the attention away from them, it's a actually a fair warning.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Her brother runs a private security firm IIRC

Not just a private security firm, but blackwater. Not sure what brandname they running under now. Word is that if Trump does something in Afghanistan it will be to privatize that war per that scumbag whispering in his ear.

59 minutes ago, villakram said:

Not just a private security firm, but blackwater. Not sure what brandname they running under now. Word is that if Trump does something in Afghanistan it will be to privatize that war per that scumbag whispering in his ear.

Devos family - Koch brothers - American oligarchs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

It's a whole country of mad people.  Can we contain them somewhere, pending psychiatric treatment?

I actually fear for America. Something has gone badly wrong, far worse than most people would have predicted. When Trump goes, there's going to be - not civil war, as such - but major civil unrest, and a lot of violence. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I actually fear for America. Something has gone badly wrong, far worse than most people would have predicted. When Trump goes, there's going to be - not civil war, as such - but major civil unrest, and a lot of violence. 

It feels like the country is cracking. I honestly wouldn't mind going it alone as a country of New England at this point. So much ignorance out there.

• Like 1

Could you imagine, a situation like the former Soviet Union where states are trying to break free. ?

Obviously can't see it happening, nor do I see any Basque or Catalan scenario.

But the US, looking from the outside really seem like a country of polar opposites. Something that might have been a strength before, but no longer is.

Edited by sne

Â