U.S. Politics

maqroll

45 minutes ago, villakram said:

Not really, the Dems will try impeach regardless when they take the House, but as usual the 2/3 majority requirement renders this little more than political theatre.

Yes, really. Trump being implicated of a federal crime in sworn court testimony makes things easier on GOP "moderates" like Collins etc. to act if/when the impetus increases.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yeah, but the bit about the American people "buying it" is the bit in your post that made me reply :)

Just because Trump is as dodgy as a £4 note doesn't mean everything he says is nonsensical. Just as his supporters would do well to remember that Hillary being 'crooked' doesn't make Trump an angel.

To be honest, that comment Americans buying it was wrong. My bad.

The 45 senators who opposed Gorsuch, McMahon writes, received nearly 20 million more votes than the 54 senators who supported him — 73,425,062 to 54,098,387. The 45 senators in the minority also represent more than 25 million more people than the senators who voted to confirm Gorsuch .

Now that sounds like Democracy

In an article about Neil Gorsuch being the most illegitimate member of the supreme court ever I found this little fact

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Trump also has suggested impeaching him would tank the market.

It's very interesting that. It's him saying that - If you punish me, then the people that matter, my actual constituents, money, will be affected.

It's a direct question about whether democratic process in the US should involve the interests of people, their representation, morality, national values and integrity or whether it is now purely and solely about maintaining the interests of the people that put him in power. It's him saying that the idea of impeaching him, which belongs in the fake realm of politics might have an effect on the real world of money and that therefore it should not be considered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

and that therefore it should not be considered.

There's a trend isn't there..?

It didn't happen

OK, it happened, but I didn't know about it

OK I knew about it, but wasn't involved

OK, I was involved, but it's not a crime

OK, it's a crime, but if you punish me it'll harm others

and also all the denials sound like the denials of someone who obviously did it. Like a guilty child

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a direct question about whether democratic process in the US should involve the interests of people, their representation, morality, national values and integrity or whether it is now purely and solely about maintaining the interests of the people that put him in power. It's him saying that the idea of impeaching him, which belongs in the fake realm of politics might have an effect on the real world of money and that therefore it should not be considered.

I'm not sure it makes sense any longer to try to understand it as a legal or political process.  It all seems like a constructed tv show.  The Apprentice, maybe, or Big Brother but with less dignity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Betty DeVos arming teachers ?

Whilst McGrath knows how many teachers are having to buy supplies for the kids out of their own pockets , De Vos wants to spend millions on guns for janitors. Does De Vos have NRA ties by any chance ?  

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Whilst McGrath knows how many teachers are having to buy supplies for the kids out of their own pockets , De Vos wants to spend millions on guns for janitors. Does De Vos have NRA ties by any chance ?  

Her brother runs a private security firm IIRC

If I lived in a country where my kids' teachers were carrying firearms with which to engage in classroom gunfights with armed intruders, I'd be seriously considering leaving that country. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Â