U.S. Politics

maqroll

The man never heard of a war he didn't want to join or start. Had he been president in 2008, there's every chance he would have started a shooting war with Russia over two Georgian breakaway provinces. It's no exaggeration to say that the world is significantly safer now he's out of power. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

In addition to being a war mongering hawk he also unleashed Sarah Palin as an actual VP candidate setting the stage for the “any loon who shouts enough mad shit can run a country” approach to politics.

The fawning by the media et al with zero objectivity is sickening.

Some friends of mine went to a war museum in Vietnam once. When they came back they told me about the bit that he was in. Something about scalps being collected

Just saying.

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

In addition to being a war mongering hawk he also unleashed Sarah Palin as an actual VP candidate setting the stage for the “any loon who shouts enough mad shit can run a country” approach to politics.

The fawning by the media et al with zero objectivity is sickening.

Very true. But Trump and his goons are so awful that even war criminals like McCain and Bush are lauded as cherished elder statesmen.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Very true. But Trump and his goons are so awful that even war criminals like McCain and Bush are lauded as cherished elder statesmen.

. . . says more about the short memories and short-sightedness of Trump's opponents TBQH. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Some friends of mine went to a war museum in Vietnam once. When they came back they told me about the bit that he was in. Something about scalps being collected

Just saying.

I’ve been to the that prison/now museum too VM - it’s nickname is the Hanoi Hilton.

What is never reported is the truth of McCain’s internment. His father was an admiral in the US Navy. He was treated far differently to the other US prisoners. He was used by the Vietnamese as a propaganda tool and held up to be shown “look how well we treat our prisoners.” There are even photos of him in that prison receiving Christmas presents. 

It’s not clear if he was ever actually tortured.

Edited by TheAuthority

I know I've said it a lot in this thread, but the way mainstream American politicians are received is almost entirely centered around politeness and manners. You can be doing the worst things humanly imaginable but as long as you're polite about it, the mainstream media doesn't bat an eyelid. See: Barack Obama for a recent example. 

Donald Trump faces such "#Resistance" (lol) from liberals mostly because he's crude, unintelligent, crass, overtly racist (I say overtly because subtle racism seems to be okay as evidenced by all of the liberals fawning over that time McCain shut down that woman who claimed Obama was an Arab by correcting her and saying he's actually a nice, family man) etc.

One good example is that I've seen barely any coverage of him tweeting literal and well-known white supremacist propaganda re: the South African farmers and "white genocide". But there's wall to wall coverage when he cusses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I watched the latest Bill Maher last night and even he seemed smoky eyed about Bush. 

Of course he is, he's an Establishment stalwart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I know I've said it a lot in this thread, but the way mainstream American politicians are received is almost entirely centered around politeness and manners. You can be doing the worst things humanly imaginable but as long as you're polite about it, the mainstream media doesn't bat an eyelid. See: Barack Obama for a recent example. 

An excellent comment, and this paragraph is particularly right. 

Remember how everyone was all worked up about 'family separation', and then some people interrupted Neilsen's meal, and another restaurant wouldn't serve Huckabee Sanders, and suddenly that took over most of the commentary? 

Speaking of SHS, she's a good example of this dynamic in action. 'White House correspondents' get very upset when she lies to them, but she is employed by a liar to tell them lies. By continuing to attend these press briefings, they just play along with the charade that the executive branch is making a good faith effort to disseminate information. That has never been the case, under any President. It's a politeness, a formality, and it achieves nothing. If any of the journalists in attendance couldn't find out more true information from their desk in their office, then they should be fired. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

An excellent comment, and this paragraph is particularly right. 

Remember how everyone was all worked up about 'family separation', and then some people interrupted Neilsen's meal, and another restaurant wouldn't serve Huckabee Sanders, and suddenly that took over most of the commentary? 

Speaking of SHS, she's a good example of this dynamic in action. 'White House correspondents' get very upset when she lies to them, but she is employed by a liar to tell them lies. By continuing to attend these press briefings, they just play along with the charade that the executive branch is making a good faith effort to disseminate information. That has never been the case, under any President. It's a politeness, a formality, and it achieves nothing. If any of the journalists in attendance couldn't find out more true information from their desk in their office, then they should be fired. 

American politics is so nauseating, but it's too important to not follow ugh. Revolution when?

Then again I just saw this image about Theresa May and it seems things aren't much different in the UK?

lsyd700cjai11.jpg

• Like 4

There are clear political parallels between the US and UK at the moment with Brexiteers and Trump Goblins. Anglos are seemingly contracting inward and shirking from their traditional leadership role in geopolitics. The consequences are already severe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

There are clear political parallels between the US and UK at the moment with Brexiteers and Trump Goblins. Anglos are seemingly contracting inward and shirking from their traditional leadership role in geopolitics. The consequences are already severe.

I've seen quite a few Brexiteers on social media aligning themselves with Trump supporters, using terms like 'snowflake', etc. 

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've seen quite a few Brexiteers on social media aligning themselves with Trump supporters, using terms like 'snowflake', etc. 

Do they fetishize Putin as well?

Â