U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Felt kind of sorry for the guy he really tried with the speech but only 5 out of 9000 people applauded him

And they needed a 5 second pause to guilt them in to it.

I don't feel sorry for him. I almost did, it was embrassing, then I remembered that he's a massive word removed, wwith no redeeming features. **** him, I hope he drowns in a prostitute's urine.

• Like 2

Obama's goodbye speech was fairly touching. And just listen to the crowd. It's laughable how much more popular he is than the new president.

The look of disbelief on his face during Trump's speech when he was talking of 'carnage' throughout America said it all. 

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

His speech was all about isolationism, protectionism and nationalism. America first. Last thing that our own PM wanted to hear I'd imagine.

I'm sure the trade deal we are asked to sign will not reflect that at all.

And I'm sure that we won't be panicked into signing something against our own national interest through negotiating from a position of self-inflicted weakness.

Now please excuse me, I'm off to build the stable for my unicorn.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Obama's goodbye speech was fairly touching. And just listen to the crowd. It's laughable how much more popular he is than the new president.

How on earth did Hilary manage to lose to that guy? 

How was she the best candidate to go against him?

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/all-references-to-climate-change-have-been-deleted-from-the-white-house-website

God, or a deity of your choice, help us all.

All References to Climate Change Have Been Deleted From the White House Website

1401307497091153.jpg?resize=300:*&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=90
Written by

JASON KOEBLER

STAFF WRITER

•  
January 20, 2017 // 12:26 PM EST

COPY THIS URL

1484933679910936.png

At 11:59 am eastern, the official White House website had a lengthy information page about the threat of climate change and the steps the federal government had taken to fight it. At noon, at the instant Donald Trump took office, the page was gone, as well as any mention of climate change or global warming.

It’s customary for www.whitehouse.gov to flip over to the new administration exactly at noon, but the only mention of climate on President Trump’s new website is under his “America First Energy Plan” page, in which he vows to destroy President Obama’s Climate Action Plan, which is a government-wide plan to reduce carbon emissions and address climate change. To reiterate: It is normal that the site is completely new; it is notable that climate change is not mentioned on any one of Trump's new pages.

READ MORE: Researchers Are Preparing for Trump to Delete Government Science From the Web

“President Trump is committed to eliminating harmful and unnecessary policies such as the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S. rule,” the site says. A search of the website found no mention of "global warming," and the only mentions of "climate change" were archived pages that, after clicking on the links, led to scrubbed pages.

Here’s what President Obama’s climate change page looked like this morning:

1484933328844565.png

And here’s what it looks like now:

1484933375405914.png

Scientists and professors around the country had been rushing to download and rehost as much government science as was possible before the transition, based on a fear that Trump’s administration would neglect or outright delete government information, databases, and web applications about science. Last week, the Radio Motherboard podcast recorded an episode about these efforts, which you can listen to below, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

The Internet Archive, too, has been keeping a close watch on the White House website; President Obama’s climate change page had been archived every single day in January.

1484933356967387.png

So far, nothing on the Environmental Protection Agency’s website has changed under Trump, but a report earlier this week from Inside EPA, a newsletter and website that reports on the agency, suggested that pages about climate are destined to be cut within the first few weeks of his presidency.

Scientists I’ve spoken to who are archiving websites say they expect scientific data on the NASA, NOAA, Department of Energy, and EPA websites to be neglected or deleted eventually. They say they don’t expect agency sites to be updated immediately, but expect it to play out over the course of months. This sort of low-key data destruction might not be the type of censorship people typically think about, but scientists are treating it as such.

“When I stereotypically think of censorship, I don’t necessarily think of data being deleted, but I think of spectacular instances of book burning—that’s censorship,” Bethany Wiggin, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania who has been archiving data told me. “But actually, it happens much more in subtle ways and it’s not always so black and white.”

Superb.  We've been waffling on about climate change for years, all words and no action.

Now Prezza Trump has taken decisive action, and banished it.

You have to admire the decisive, firm action.  A true leader.

I appreciate it's depressing, so please skip if it's that tims of month for you, but we really do need to understand the depths of **** and corruption this election has foisted on the world.

Donald Trump ushers in a new era of kakistocracy: government by the worst people

Trump will lead the whitest, most male cabinet in memory – a bizarre melange of the unqualified and the unhinged.

“What fills me with doubt and dismay is the degradation of the moral tone,” wrote the American poet James Russell Lowell in 1876, in a letter to his fellow poet Joel Benton. “Is it or is it not a result of democracy? Is ours a ‘government of the people by the people for the people’, or a kakistocracy rather, for the benefit of knaves at the cost of fools?”

Is there a better, more apt description of the incoming Trump administration than “kakistocracy”, which translates from the Greek literally as government by the worst people? The new US president, as Barack Obama remarked on the campaign trail, is “uniquely unqualified” to be commander-in-chief. There is no historical analogy for a President Trump. He combines in a single person some of the worst qualities of some of the worst US presidents: the Donald makes Nixon look honest, Clinton look chaste, Bush look smart.

Trump began his tenure as president-elect in November by agreeing to pay out $25m to settle fraud claims brought against the now defunct Trump University by dozens of former students; he began the new year being deposed as part of his lawsuit against a celebrity chef. On 10 January, the Federal Election Commission sent the Trump campaign a 250-page letter outlining a series of potentially illegal campaign contributions. A day later, the head of the non-partisan US Office of Government Ethics slammed Trump’s plan to step back from running his businesses as “meaningless from a conflict-of-interest perspective”.

It cannot be repeated often enough: none of this is normal. There is no precedent for such behaviour, and while kakistocracy may be a term unfamiliar to most of us, this is what it looks like. Forget 1876: be prepared for four years of epic misgovernance and brazen corruption. Despite claiming in his convention speech, “I alone can fix it,” the former reality TV star won’t be governing on his own. He will be in charge of the richest, whitest, most male cabinet in living memory; a bizarre melange of the unqualified and the unhinged.

There has been much discussion about the lack of experience of many of Trump’s appointees (think of the incoming secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, who has no background in diplomacy or foreign affairs) and their alleged bigotry (the Alabama senator Jeff Sessions, denied a role as a federal judge in the 1980s following claims of racial discrimination, is on course to be confirmed as attorney general). Yet what should equally worry the average American is that Trump has picked people who, in the words of the historian Meg Jacobs, “are downright hostile to the mission of the agency they are appointed to run”. With their new Republican president’s blessing, they want to roll back support for the poorest, most vulnerable members of society and don’t give a damn how much damage they do in the process.

Take Scott Pruitt, the Oklahoma attorney general selected to head the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Pruitt describes himself on his LinkedIn page as “a leading advocate against the EPA’s activist agenda” and has claimed that the debate over climate change is “far from settled”.

The former neurosurgeon Ben Carson is Trump’s pick for housing and urban development, a department with a $49bn budget that helps low-income families own homes and pay the rent. Carson has no background in housing policy, is an anti-welfare ideologue and ruled himself out of a cabinet job shortly after the election. “Dr Carson feels he has no government experience,” his spokesman said at the time. “He’s never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency.”

The fast-food mogul Andrew Puzder, who was tapped to run the department of labour, doesn’t like . . . well . . . labour. He prefers robots, telling Business Insider in March 2016: “They’re always polite . . . They never take a vacation, they never show up late, there’s never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex or race discrimination case.”

The billionaire Republican donor Betsy DeVos, nominated to run the department of education, did not attend state school and neither did any of her four children. She has never been a teacher, has no background in education and is a champion of school vouchers and privatisation. To quote the education historian Diane Ravitch: “If confirmed, DeVos will be the first education secretary who is actively hostile to public education.”

The former Texas governor Rick Perry, nominated for the role of energy secretary by Trump, promised to abolish the department that he has been asked to run while trying to secure his party’s presidential nomination in 2011. Compare and contrast Perry, who has an undergraduate degree in animal science but failed a chemistry course in college, with his two predecessors under President Obama: Dr Ernest Moniz, the former head of MIT’s physics department, and Dr Steven Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist from Berkeley. In many ways, Perry, who spent the latter half of 2016 as a contestant on Dancing with the Stars, is the ultimate kakistocratic appointment.

“Do Trump’s cabinet picks want to run the government – or dismantle it?” asked a headline in the Chicago Tribune in December. That’s one rather polite way of putting it. Another would be to note, as the Online Etymology Dictionary does, that kakistocracy comes from kakistos, the Greek word for “worst”, which is a superlative of kakos, or “bad”, which “is related to the general Indo-European word for ‘defecate’”.

We deserve to die out if economy > environment.

Putin's pal and developing a missile defense system? Two for the price of one, it keeps both Eastern superpowers guessing.

To be fair to Trump, Russia and China enjoy keeping everyone guessing already.

No one's going to to know WTF is going on?

With clowns running the circus here in the UK, these are strange times.

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

pant-shitting Ted Nugent.

Cartwheels at Camp Trump when TK said yes, as much for it saving them having to ask TN.

(Stolen from Facebook)

GOD STOPS AT THE BORDER 

Now it is official! 
It’s been confirmed as true: 
God is an American, 
Not an Arab or a Jew.

A man stood on a podium 
And asked God for his blessing 
Specifically on the US, though, 
And those he was addressing. 

Foreigners can knock it off - 
There’s no point even praying