U.S. Politics

maqroll

This should be the end of McCarthy. I am not sure why anyone cares about him being dragged over the coals a little on the way out. It is more the pity that the Dems never had the stomach to do this with Nancy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Haha - I just saw a clip of Matt Gaetz calling Trump asking him to vote McCarthy 'sad'! The rats are fleeing the Trump boat. What a vote, this is more entertaining than when Trump lost the election..

I dunno, that was quite entertaining.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

This should be the end of McCarthy. I am not sure why anyone cares about him being dragged over the coals a little on the way out. It is more the pity that the Dems never had the stomach to do this with Nancy. 

Pelosi was great. One of the few US politicians I rate. Trump hated her, so that’s a big thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Haha - I just saw a clip of Matt Gaetz calling Trump asking him to vote McCarthy 'sad'! The rats are fleeing the Trump boat. What a vote, this is more entertaining than when Trump lost the election..

"We are not a cult."

"We debate like our 4dads intended."

"We are independent Americans fighting for the people who elected us.... lobby money, swamp, insiders."

Loads of ways to spin this in whichever manner is required. The next speaker position is somewhat of a poisoned chalice now. It'll be interesting to see who they eventually pick and what this means for repub party leadership more broadly.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

Pelosi was great. One of the few US politicians I rate. Trump hated her, so that’s a big thumbs up from me.

Such partizan takes are a part of the problem. 

Pelosi was a very effective politician. She did implement changes that significantly undermined the democratic powers of the elected individual members of the chamber. I do not see that as a positive in such a society as the US.

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

"We are not a cult."

"We debate like our 4dads intended."

"We are independent Americans fighting for the people who elected us.... lobby money, swamp, insiders."

Loads of ways to spin this in whichever manner is required. The next speaker position is somewhat of a poisoned chalice now. It'll be interesting to see who they eventually pick and what this means for repub party leadership more broadly.

I've never understood how any of the parties can talk about 'draining the swamp' and then brazenly and without irony take donations from lobbyists. 

The Republicans in particular with their oil and NRA donors (I appreciate the NRA money has dropped off, but historically). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Such partizan takes are a part of the problem. 

Pelosi was a very effective politician. She did implement changes that significantly undermined the democratic powers of the elected individual members of the chamber. I do not see that as a positive in such a society as the US.

You have to admit that her husband is brilliant at stock trading though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HKP90 said:

The Republicans in particular with their oil and NRA donors (I appreciate the NRA money has dropped off, but historically). 

The NRA donated heavily to BOTH parties most of the time

• Like 1

Having seen the results of the 11th (?) vote for speaker, I noticed that Trump received 1 vote.

So that means that he's lost another election in a room half-full of Trump-fanatics and sycophants, this time by a vote margin of:

Jeffries (dems) 212 votes

McCarthy (gop) 200 votes

Hern (gop) 7 votes

Others 12 votes

Trump (MAGA-loonie-toons party) 1 vote

Let's summarise, the GOP has 222 votes, out of which Trump received 1. That means 221-1. 

This election is rigged! Boo.

Donald-trump-dancing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by magnkarl

7 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Having seen the results of the 11th (?) vote for speaker, I noticed that Trump received 1 vote.

So that means that he's lost another election in a room half-full of Trump-fanatics and sycophants, this time by a vote margin of:

Jeffries (dems) 212 votes

McCarthy (gop) 200 votes

Hern (gop) 7 votes

Others 12 votes

Trump (MAGA-loonie-toons party) 1 vote

Let's summarise, the GOP has 222 votes, out of which Trump received 1. That means 221-1. 

This election is rigged! Boo.

Donald-trump-dancing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Don’t worry he’s getting 217 fake electors….whoops…congresspeople votes to add to that 1 and he’ll have the required 218 to become speaker.

Funny thing though, imagine if he did have real 218 votes, surely he wouldn’t take that well…going from President of the US, arguably the most powerful job in the world and then downgrading to getting Speaker of US House is a huge step down….surely his ego couldn’t deal with that?  Worse still he would be third in line after Biden then Harris in succession…3rd best 😂

So McCarthy has become Speaker…although it seems the weakest Speaker in history with very little power after giving away everything to his extreme members, his head on the block with a one vote removal and the slimmest majority.  

Not much will get done legislative wise for the next two years, even less so than expected so just going to be infighting in gop and then 💩show committee investigations….it’s going to be a total clown show in every aspect

I’m going to get my popcorn ready for some entertaining stuff upcoming 😂

So, government, the instrument of the people and representative power of Democracy, is paralysed and inert for a couple of years?

That's handy for the corporate powers that run the nation for their own interests in its stead.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, government, the instrument of the people and representative power of Democracy, is paralysed and inert for a couple of years?

That's handy for the corporate powers that run the nation for their own interests in its stead.

and the politicians who despite their government wage generally get to be multimillionaires if they get some “prominence” in some way…

Edited by nick76

On 07/01/2023 at 10:11, OutByEaster? said:

They passed the giveaway already in the lame duck, so the first 12 months are already done. Lots of playing to the gallery ahead.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Lots of playing to the gallery ahead

Yes. I wonder if the gallery has changed, though?  It seems like the GOP has moved on from Trump. It seems like all these culture war things have fallen out of favour with a lot of people, judging by the mid-term results - Trump backed candidates mostly got trounced, fewer people believed the”steal” lie, wade-Rowe overturned was a handicap. Will people really be impressed by investigations into Hunter?

Â