U.S. Politics

maqroll

Bannon now willing to testify publicly to JAN 6th committee after Trump waived privilege.

Do these guys think the committee are stupid?

No it won’t be public because Trump/Bannon want a public show, it’ll start private plus Bannon is just muddying the waters for his contempt charge trial up coming.

Still laughing that Trump thinks he has privilege as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's no proof that any of it is real

Yeah I know that. I did think a lot of the photos don't even look like him tbh and am also aware of how easy it is to create stuff like that nowadays. There will be a lot of people who believe it though.

16 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Thought for a while now that it will be Trump versus Gavin Newsom next time regardless of what Hunter Biden did or didn't do.

I'd not heard of Newsom before, looking him up he looks progressive and a good CV.  Is he the real deal?  Like you I thought there was always little chance of Biden standing for a second term and his main use was merely to stop Trump staying in.  I'm not sure it would work a second time so they need a strong candidate.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd not heard of Newsom before, looking him up he looks progressive and a good CV.  Is he the real deal?  Like you I thought there was always little chance of Biden standing for a second term and his main use was merely to stop Trump staying in.  I'm not sure it would work a second time so they need a strong candidate.

Not following that closely but I like what I have seen. And he isn't scared to go after the Republicans which I think some Democrats have been in the last few years.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/03/opinions/newsom-desantis-2024-campaign-ad-obeidallah/index.html

California's Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom marked the July Fourth holiday by unveiling a campaign ad set to air on Fox News in which he speaks about freedom, amid images of skyrocketing fireworks and the Statue of Liberty, with strains of "America the Beautiful" softly strumming on the guitar.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

When was the last time an incumbent didn't run for a second term? Genuine question.

Lyndon B Johnson in 1968. He served 6 years because he assumed the Presidency when Kennedy was assasinated but chose not to run for second term proper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Lyndon B Johnson in 1968. He served 6 years because he assumed the Presidency when Kennedy was assasinated but chose not to run for second term proper

Can you run for two terms if you take over from a sitting president in the middle of their term? Did not know that.

19 hours ago, LondonLax said:

. Biden and the Democrats are about to get a kicking in November. Hopefully Bolsonaro gets the boot in October, I can see why he’s scrambling for cheaper oil.

Although historically the mid-terms are not good for the ruling party, the recent Supreme Court rulings have activated a lot of democratic activism. for 18 months people have been talking about the Dems losing the house and senate. Let's actually see where we are in October.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Although historically the mid-terms are not good for the ruling party, the recent Supreme Court rulings have activated a lot of democratic activism. for 18 months people have been talking about the Dems losing the house and senate. Let's actually see where we are in October.

Yep I agree, it think it’s more finely balanced than normal circumstances given that both sides have a cause or two to get behind and turn out to vote.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 11:57, NoelVilla said:

Thought for a while now that it will be Trump versus Gavin Newsom next time regardless of what Hunter Biden did or didn't do.

I wish. I think it’s already too late for that unless something very unexpected a la LBJ in March ‘68 occurs. 

Where are you?

This is one that kind of irritates me because there's nothing about organised labour, but still, it's kind of fun if you're thinking about American politics: 

"Take our quiz to find out which one of our nine political typology groups is your best match, compared with a nationally representative survey of more than 10,000 U.S. adults by Pew Research Center. You may find some of these questions are difficult to answer. That’s OK. In those cases, pick the answer that comes closest to your view, even if it isn’t exactly right."

Â