U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

White life. The mask slipped.

Yup. And the mask is worse than the face beneath, if you ask me. The duplicity is what makes it so toxic. I honestly think we would start to get somewhere in my country if phobic white people and sometimes people of color just came out and openly owned their (often pretty misinformed) racial ideas and asked their stupid questions (The first one is ALWAYS: "I want to know why I can't use the N-word?!" ), and we could just have some grown-up conversations about white working-class and suburban anxieties and American history and different kinds of racisms that are holding us all back. All this "I'm not a racist but ..." cack is killing us. Open, honest, vulnerable conversations about race are not as hard to have as these people imagine, and they're incredibly cool when they happen. Policing racism and projecting highly coded racism are flip sides of a lucrative set of industries in the media -- an industry based on false consciousness from top to bottom here. I have witnessed open sharing in my community, and when it happens, a lot of minds open. It doesn't work on social media. But it works when people are face to face, at least sometimes. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

I realise that the Republicans are celebrating this final victory, but their logic is totally unsound. The Great Replacement Theory they love to spout suggests that the white American population will be outnumbered by the non-white population in just a few years. So given that a large percentage of terminations are by non-white Americans, why aren’t Republicans making it easier for them to seek terminations rather than more difficult? Or perhaps they have other plans for dealing with that 'problem'... 

• Like 3

On 26/06/2022 at 10:26, Davkaus said:

We basically import most of our culture from the US now, from entertainment to our perceptions of social inequality. Nothing makes me facepalm like hearing young Brits banging on about "defunding the police" like we're the 51st state of America.

Like **** clockwork we've got protests springing up all over the place about changes to the law in America.

When did you last see a protest on the mainland UK about abortion rights in NI? May as well start singing Star Spangled **** Banner.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Like **** clockwork we've got protests springing up all over the place about changes to the law in America.

When did you last see a protest on the mainland UK about abortion rights in NI? May as well start singing Star Spangled **** Banner.

It’s what people are fed by their media, I think may of them genuinely believe we have some direct link and their protests in Basingstoke can tip the balance.

24 hours after 2 by election defeats for Johnson, one of them record breaking, after the resignation of the co chair of the tory party, the main story on BBC news all day was US abortion law.

I can see across the room it’s currently the topic on Newsnight.

Yep, just took the headphones off and sure enough, on a day where the tories in Westminster are drafting legislation to specifically overrule Welsh Government legislation and role back devolution - Newsnight are currently discussion Medicare access to contraceptives in Missouri.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I realise that the Republicans are celebrating this final victory, but their logic is totally unsound. The Great Replacement Theory they love to spout suggests that the white American population will be outnumbered by the non-white population in just a few years. So given that a large percentage of terminations are by non-white Americans, why aren’t Republicans making it easier for them to seek terminations rather than more difficult? Or perhaps they have other plans for dealing with that 'problem'... 

We would only be so lucky! Like Russia, we have a serious labor shortage here now, and it's wrecking our economy. I honesty wish Boris would fly those lovely, hard-working immigrants to us instead of Rwanda. We need them. Xenophobia is extremely self-destructive, it turns out.

Juicy development in the Jan 6 hearings. The committee members are flying back to DC to hold an unscheduled hearing 1PM EST on Tuesday with a surprise witness or two due to new evidence..

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Juicy development in the Jan 6 hearings. The committee members are flying back to DC to hold an unscheduled hearing 1PM EST on Tuesday with a surprise witness or two due to new evidence..

Sadly, the amount of times the Dems or someone on the left have announced that "they've finally got something" is laughable at this point.

Of course Trump et al are guilty of all sorts of crimes. Their supporters don't care.

He really could shoot someone on 5th avenue. It's a cult.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He also knew there were armed protesters who were "not here to harm me" and "let them go down to the Capitol"

😲 

It is insane that the Trump team were talking for days about violence on Jan 6th.

Cassidy Hutchinson who is testifying is going to have the right wing mob go after here. She'll be doxed and ripped apart - I hope she's made plans to move out of the country or far away from where she's from.

Edited by TheAuthority

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

How has no one high up been arrested for this? 

It's mind blowing. They tried to over throw an election and some of them are still working in government.

The ones that aided and abetted Trump are no longer involved in government - Stephen Miller, Trump, Roger Stone, Meadows etc.

But this does seem to point to evidence of a conspiracy - a seditious conspiracy - and if the DOJ agree they could go after Stone, Giuliani and of course Trump. 

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The ones that aided and abetted Trump are no longer involved in government - Stephen Miller, Trump, Roger Stone, Meadows etc.

But this does seem to point to evidence of a conspiracy - a seditious conspiracy - and if the DOJ agree they could go after Stone, Giuliani and of course Trump. 

Some of them are still in congress.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

It is insane that the Trump team were talking for days about violence on Jan 6th.

Cassidy Hutchinson who is testifying is going to have the right wing mob go after here. She'll be doxed and ripped apart - I hope she's made plans to move out of the country or far away from where she's from.

I think the most dangerous time for her was between the time her name was leaked last night to the moment she arrived at the Capitol today.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Â