U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, His Name Is Death said:

Trump, his entourage, and his supporters makes me think that a lot of Americans just want to live in some sort of extended WWE/UFC/motorcycle gang/god-fearin' rock 'n' roll patriot universe.

Isn't that Deb out of Dexter?

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We basically import most of our culture from the US now,

Not really . America is 5 minutes old and hardly has any culture of it's own .

They are just giving us back what we gave them but with a dash of Kanye.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Secondly, there have already been rumblings of red states not looking kindly on women travelling out of state for abortions, and criminalising this act of travelling to a place where it's legal.

Out of state abortions are legal and will remain so. Look up interstate travel under the 14th amendment. There’s no chance  of abortions being banned nationwide either.

If a woman wants an abortion in America she can have one. It just may now involve higher travel costs for some.  

Edited by Arj Guy

Leaders of the free world apparently, I f##king hate America. 

The most advanced backward country in the world. At least these “pro life” bastards can console themselves stroking their assault rifles. 

Words removed. 

16 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

Out of state abortions are legal and will remain so. Look up interstate travel under the 14th amendment. There’s no chance  of abortions being banned nationwide either.

You can say there's no chance of this or that all you want, a few months ago people thought there was no chance of what we've seen in the last week, and the republicans at state and federal level are already ramping up for the next fight. If you think this is as far as they want to push in their fight against women's rights, time will prove you wrong in fairly short order.

This was the first milestone that allows them to contest more and more.

18 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

If a woman wants an abortion in America she can have one. It just may now involve higher travel costs for some.  

Ah yeah, they "just" may now have to spends hundreds of dollars and travel hundreds or thousands of miles. No big deal.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Ah yeah, they "just" may now have to spends hundreds of dollars and travel hundreds or thousands of miles. No big deal.

Exactly. And many women may have choose this route in the first place because of financial restrictions. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Exactly. And many women may have choose this route in the first place because of financial restrictions. 

Some states want to criminalise anyone who helps fund desperate women travelling out of state for abortions, Texas already has a law on the books they're claiming does this, and are threatening to prosecute anyone involved in managing the funds, as well as any individuals who donate.

I'm not sure about the geography but I suspect a lot of the states that would likely ban abortion border each other, don't they?  Not a case of just nipping over the border quickly after work.  

I'm still unsure about the certainty about Trump winning the next election.  Are more people really going to vote for him than last time?  Surely there would be a whole load of moderate/floating Republican voters appalled by what happened at The Capitol.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Have I just read correctly that this even applies to rape? 

Im off here tonight before I say something that will get me banned. 

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm not sure about the geography but I suspect a lot of the states that would likely ban abortion border each other, don't they?  Not a case of just nipping over the border quickly after work.  

One example, as things stand, is women in Texas will have to drive for 12 hours to the nearest abortion clinic.

VyX66Cd.png

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Abortion isn't some sort of casual choice of sweater; every abortion is attached to some of the hardest decisions humans ever make, it comes with pain, with regret, with grief, with the awfulness of the procedure, with those moments of quiet tears and sadness, with anniversaries and what-ifs, and even if it was the only way, even if it was completely the only thing that could be done, the right thing, the best answer to an impossible question, it leaves bruises and scars on the heart of every woman that has to go through it that will stay with her for her whole life.

To criminalise that, to make a victim of those that most need support or sympathy, those at their most vulnerable, is an abhorrent act of barbarism. That a group of judges could conspire to make it a reality is an incredibly sad reflection of the state of American democracy. 

https://www.guttmacher.org/evidence-you-can-use/mandatory-counseling-abortion

• Some states require abortion providers to tell patients that an abortion may lead to a PTSD-like condition they call “postabortion stress syndrome.” The American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association do not recognize this condition, and there is no evidence it exists.
  • An expert panel convened by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine in 2018 concluded that having an abortion does not increase a person’s risk of mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

• Confused 1

I'm ever more certain these days that the Christian Fundamentalist Right in the USA are the group representing the single greatest danger to the future of humanity. Hear me out.

• They don't believe in man made climate change, and if they recognise it, they believe it is evidence of God's wrath
  • They believe in an afterlife, and many believe that we are in fact in "end times" - approaching the final destiny of humanity
  • They believe they are acting upon God's will
  • They have massive (disproportionate) political influence in the most powerful country in the world, which has 5000+ nukes
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, av1 said:

Depends on the state, but in some cases you're correct.

Saudi Arabia now has more liberal abortion laws than Texas and Missouri.

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Before Friday it was unconstitutional to send abortion rights to the states yet here we are. The constitution means nothing other than the interpretation of which old crusty unelected judges are on the SCOTUS, with no term limit. 

They are not old and crusty are they? The three Trump appointed are relatively young and one is a woman. 

38 minutes ago, av1 said:

You need to understand that the Supreme Court did not restrict abortion by law, it made no decision on whether abortion is right or wrong or at what term it should be allowed or not etc.

What they have done is allowed each state to make its own decision on what that state feels is appropriate.

For the redneck states that means some redneck laws. If you want to find out if it means ‘even in the case of rape’ you need to go through and check state by state to see what that particular state is planning to do with their ‘new found freedom’. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

White life. The mask slipped.

I hope America keeps up its “proud tradition” of shooting presidents 

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Although I do have to add, the clamour from non-US citizens going mad about this; we had our government over here, using a court as a political tool almost always ban abortion (not just states rights, a total ban) and there wasn’t a peep. 

I've definitely seen very little clamour about the fact that women in Northern Ireland are still forced to come over to Great Britain if they need to access this type of healthcare. 

It was still a criminal act as recently as 2019 in part of the UK, and is still de facto banned due to a lack of legislation to commission services. 

So while the whole thing is obviously horrendous and being pushed by the worst c**** in the world, I'd wonder if there isn't an issue a bit closer to home that campaigners might want to pay attention to if this is something that they are actually bothered by.

• Like 1

Â