U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 27/06/2022 at 18:45, mjmooney said:

I realise that the Republicans are celebrating this final victory, but their logic is totally unsound. The Great Replacement Theory they love to spout suggests that the white American population will be outnumbered by the non-white population in just a few years. So given that a large percentage of terminations are by non-white Americans, why aren’t Republicans making it easier for them to seek terminations rather than more difficult? Or perhaps they have other plans for dealing with that 'problem'... 

Your inductive reasoning seems a little at fault there!

14 hours ago, maqroll said:

He.actually reached over from the back seat to grab the steering wheel and then grabbed the guy by the throat! Unbelievable!

As I keep asking people: is there really an insanity clause?

Some people tell me it was my Dad, and others tell me Biden proves there isn't.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

He.actually reached over from the back seat to grab the steering wheel and then grabbed the guy by the throat! Unbelievable!

Unfortunately, both the driver and the bodyguard have said they will swear under oath it didn't happen. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately, both the driver and the bodyguard have said they will swear under oath it didn't happen. 

I'll be surprised if they actually do. The committee would have likely corroborated the story before letting her tell it, especially due to the sensationalist nature of it.

What is bothering me this morning is that this armored limo episode is getting far more attention than the far more serious piece of testimony about Trump wanting armed supporters allowed to march to the Capital because they weren't there to harm him, in particular. 

2 hours ago, colhint said:

I fear for the gay community now. After the Abortion laws, who's next on the list.

The Texas Lt. Gov has said he wants to bring back sodomy laws which would instantly make criminals of about 3 million taxpaying residents. 

It will be interesting to see how corporations based in Texas respond to the growing extremism of the state GOP. 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'll be surprised if they actually do. The committee would have likely corroborated the story before letting her tell it, especially due to the sensationalist nature of it.

What is bothering me this morning is that this armored limo episode is getting far more attention than the far more serious piece of testimony about Trump wanting armed supporters allowed to march to the Capital because they weren't there to harm him, in particular. 

The trouble is hers is a second hand hearsay account of what happened. If it’s not corroborated by someone who was actually there her whole testimony is going to be called in question.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The trouble is hers is a second hand hearsay account of what happened. If it’s not corroborated by someone who was actually there her whole testimony is going to be called in question.  

It's true, what you say, but the margins in November's midterms and 2024 are fractional, and there is a rational and very restrained layer of moderate Repub reluctant Trump voters who aren't mentally ill/stupid/gullible/lying ****s. And her testimony will, I suspect, resonate with some of them. Trump's hold is slipping. Colorado strongly suggested it last night, again. The dead-enders will never change. I won't even deal with those Big Lie people any more unless I absolutely must. They're not worth the time. I block them/ban/unfriend them at the drop of a hat. There is no useful "dialogue" with them, and what they call rationality is a shadow on the wall. We have to hope that there remain enough people committed to and willing to fight hard for democracy that their lies and violence won't win out. I think TrumpCult wrongly underestimate the willingness of ordinary people to sacrifice all for American democracy if provoked enough.  spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

The Texas Lt. Gov has said he wants to bring back sodomy laws which would instantly make criminals of about 3 million taxpaying residents. 

It will be interesting to see how corporations based in Texas respond to the growing extremism of the state GOP. 

On what basis can they actually do that?  Because the bible says it's a sin?  I thought that was against the constitution.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

On what basis can they actually do that?  Because the bible says it's a sin?  I thought that was against the constitution.

He probably wants the state legislature to pass the law and trigger an immediate lawsuit that the Supreme Court could rule on. 

While it's a basic right to privacy issue, this Supreme Court is so extreme, they could fund a way to justify it somehow.

Edited by maqroll

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

He probably wants the state legislature to pass the law and trigger an immediate lawsuit that the Supreme Court could rule on. 

While it's a basic right to privacy issue, this Supreme Court is so extreme, they could fund a way to justify it somehow.

Roe v Wade was about the privacy bit of the constitution. Without it, states can legislate against what 2 consenting adults do in their own home. Unsurprisingly for a document written hundreds of years ago, privacy is not well defined in the document. RVW established that the loose wording should apply to a person's own body, therefore protecting abortion.  

Take away the RVW ruling and anything a state fancies legislating against you doing with your own body is on the table. The scotus have pretty much already challenged that there is a constitutional right to privacy.

That utter word removed Clarence Thomas has already suggested they go after other established freedoms like LGBTQ rights next. Gay marriage for example is almost certain to go, and tbh sodomy as a crime is likely to come back too.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So in the last week the Supreme Court has:-

Strengthened Gun Rights 

Removed Right to Abortion

Limited the Government's ability to put in climate control

In 1 week. Absolutely bonkers. 

6 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

So in the last week the Supreme Court has:-

Strengthened Gun Rights 

Removed Right to Abortion

Limited the Government's ability to put in climate control

In 1 week. Absolutely bonkers. 

Also, undermined Miranda rights by removing the legal obligation on an officer to issue them.

• Sad 1

Â