U.S. Politics

maqroll

every time the giant douche/turd sandwich gets rolled out (sometimes by me) I always think people react to it in a way that they forget not to take the ongoing 20 odd year old joke off south park too seriously.

19 hours ago, villa89 said:

Sleepy Joe versus Insurrection Trump. It really is a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. 

It’s really not! Biden has many problems but this comparison is not fair as it suggests some form of being comparable or equal when in fact Trump is like a nuclear bomb and Biden is a bad dose of the farts.

51 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Biden is not a very good candidate. Is he better than Trump? Of course. Think the Democrats take a risk here. 

No, changing from Biden would be a risk.  

You generally don’t change the incumbent.  

Secondly while Biden has his age, Democrats generally like him or aren’t as adverse to him so not to vote for him.  

Most of the other potentials are very risky and have Democrats slightly wavering on them for many and various reasons plus none really stand out as a front runner.  

Biden is bland enough, acceptable enough not to rock the Democrat vote and to lead the charge against Trump and MAGA.  

I get that all of Biden’s/White House achievements aren’t getting their credit through the media or online and it’s fairly impressive list of achievements given the divide in the country but that/those messages aren’t getting through with all the chaos and misinformation around.

The point though is changing from Biden would be the worst thing for Democrats who are United at the moment, including the voters because they have issues like abortion to get them voting.  Don’t rock the boat, that would cause upheaval and thus risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

Biden is not a very good candidate. Is he better than Trump? Of course. Think the Democrats take a risk here. 

He’s the perfect candidate for now.  He’d struggle badly against a good normal strong Republican opponent but we aren’t in that time.  Against Trump he’s the perfect opponent imo.  You pick the match up that works, unfortunately that isn’t always the best person for the job.  The best person for the job on the Democrat side wouldn’t win the election and there is too much at stake to risk losing to Trump.

Can someone explain to me why, as Biden won the election last time out, and then the madness of the insurrection unfolded, would MORE people now vote for Trump than voted for Biden last time? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can someone explain to me why, as Biden won the election last time out, and then the madness of the insurrection unfolded, would MORE people now vote for Trump than voted for Biden last time? 

Yep, I can’t square that myself.

Plus all the other stuff, lies, corruption, cheating, Gouliani, fraud, court cases, mug shots.

The Americans love their laws, amendments and patriotism and Trump has trampled all over them all. He was caught attempting to steal an election whilst making unsubstantiated claims the other guy stole the election.

How could he possibly have gathered more votes than last time? It should be a pummelling shouldn’t it?

It would be like us here being worried about the prospect of Tommy Robinson becoming PM. It should be a complete non-starter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Inflation and interest rate hikes. Wars breaking out all over the place. 

None of these things are Biden’s fault but people who don’t analyse these things too closely are saying to themselves ‘live was better 5 years ago, I would like to go back to that’. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I  think it's as much to do with celebrity and tribalism. 

Trumps famous innit.

This. I keep saying it. They nail their tribal colours to the mast on social media for all the(ir) world to see, and to back down is to admit defeat. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Biden's age (unfit for office), Biden being corrupt (Hunter and that whole thing), Jan 6 being a false flag event (the deep state/FBI/CIA is behind it), financial state (interest rates, people not being better off than they were before Biden), Russia/Ukraine & the situation in the middle east, the border & immigration, the "system" is rigged against him / republicans.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don’t know how many MORE people will vote for Trump, but FEWER people will vote for Biden. Even if those votes don’t go towards Trump, low voter turnout could make the race closer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

I don’t know how many MORE people will vote for Trump, but FEWER people will vote for Biden. Even if those votes don’t go towards Trump, low voter turnout could make the race closer.

I think fewer people will vote for both, I think it’ll be lower turnout.  Some Moderate Republicans put off by Trump, Independents not falling either side so don’t vote and then Biden losing votes for his perceived deficiencies.  Not expecting the EC numbers to end up much different than the last election.  Despite major issues like abortion, border, inflation most people have already picked sides.

Dem turnout has been pretty decent in midterms since Dobbs, hasn’t it? I think it’s likely Trump will arguably rally more Dems than any of their own could possible do, and Biden is bland enough not to scare any Dems from voting. 

I’d predict Biden to win it again against Trump, but I learned not to make predictions about American politics in 2016. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Viruses tend to spread.

I would guess there is a very small percentage that would weigh up whether to vote for Trump or Biden, it's one or the other or don't vote.

They are so diametrically opposed, you could not contemplate one or the other.

Getting people out to vote is what matters. The Trump voters are energized and engaged, they will be voting. 

6 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The Trump voters are energized and engaged, they will be voting. 

and while that is the majority of Republicans there is more than a material amount of Republicans that aren’t Trump/MAGA supporters.  

The question is whether they hate Biden enough to vote for Trump, not bother voting or are so troubled by Trump they vote for Biden.  The middle category seems the largest likely option.  The first and last option will probably negate each other.

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I would guess there is a very small percentage that would weigh up whether to vote for Trump or Biden, it's one or the other or don't vote.

They are so diametrically opposed, you could not contemplate one or the other.

Getting people out to vote is what matters. The Trump voters are energized and engaged, they will be voting. 

But so will everyone who can’t stand the man, and everyone enraged by the Dobbs verdict in particular, and I predict there are more of them. 

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

But so will everyone who can’t stand the man, and everyone enraged by the Dobbs verdict in particular, and I predict there are more of them. 

I hope so, they are just not visible right now.

Â