U.S. Politics

maqroll

5 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Thanks. I feel like you’re massively underestimating the potential for things to get worse for the US there, tbh, but I won’t lecture you about your own country.

Oh, I completely believe that things are going to get worse no matter who gets elected. The increased polarization and politicization of the country is still rapidly happening. 

5 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Can you explain why you think Biden is unfit for office and incompetent? Not judging, just curious (although I doubt I’ll agree with you).

I think his mental state has rapidly deteriorated. It is painful sitting through listening to him talk. I have family members who have dementia (it runs in my family) and it looks to me like Biden has some form of dementia. 

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

This is the great unspoken truth of US presidential elections, only votes in around 10-15 of the swing states count, the rest are basically irrelevant. If you live in Texas for example why bother voting, you know it will always vote republican.  

yup. I moved to where I currently live in '21. Trump won this state by 20+ points in the '20 election. If I lived in a state where it will be closer, I probably would bite my lip and vote Biden. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

But you're dealing with a guy who MAY make a wrong call to one who definitely will make the worst of calls. 

Surely Biden taking ill is the best outcome? He'll be taken over by a younger probably more competent person. 

Does Biden get no credit for The IRA? 

It seems to get little press but what it's done is staggering. He's sucked, thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of jobs into USA.  Nearly all of them jobs in industries of the future which are there to stay, not in dying industries which will INEVITABLY die like Trump seems intent on saving. 

There was a story yesterday about the last Solar Panel manufacturer in Germany leaving for USA.  USA seems to be the only destination for any company in the Green industries. I've read almost daily about this or that company moving there or picking USA as their first manufacturing centre.  

This will make USA the undisputed leader of future industries with the skill and knowledge base located there so things snowball. Make no mistake, China was the only game in town for this previously. 

It's completely reinvigorating USA as a manufacturing power Base.  Europe is struggling to put together their own plan to try and combat it and The UK are nowhere. 

Yet it seems to get zero credit in The USA.  Even criticism. I think in years to come it will become seen as the most crucial piece of legislation in modern US history. It's the only thing stopping China from total world domination right now. 

Yet Biden is rubbish and does nothing. 

Biden taking ill would definitely be the best outcome, but I don't see him stepping aside unless something like that happens. 

In terms of all the things you mention with the jobs, I completely agree with you that it is important. But in the rust belt, people have been hemorrhaging jobs, money, and their future/careers. I know several people in Pennsylvania who hate Biden / Democrats because we aren't using our own resources for energy (Coal).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

*It is not my view* but there is a not insignificant group from the left of politics who see Trump as the anti-war option.

Their basis seems to be that Biden (and traditional Republicans) are part of the neo-con ‘establishment’ looking to perpetuate wars to keep the arms industry in gravy while Trump is the outsider disrupting the status quo. They back this up by pointing out that there were no major international conflicts under Trump’s 4 years but since Biden came in the neo-cons are back in power and never ending wars are springing up all over the place again. 

Yeah but they aren’t going to vote for Trump for his anti-war stance yet ignore all the significant other right wing policies that they vehemently hate that makes them lefties in the first place.  

They agree probably with 95% of Biden’s positions and agree with Trump on 5% of his.  If they then pick Trump, then I’d question their reasoning.  

Ultimately while they’d be some extremes that the war position is the be all, you’ve got to think rational voters will still vote for Biden when it comes to it despite hating his war position because everything they believe in, Trump is against and would destroy.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I remember now why I don't bother with bolitcs threads 

I mean you made a statement , I gave you some evidence why I think it isn't necessarily true  , and that's' your reply  ..seriously ? 

Yes 

Think this article pretty well explains the situation both sides are facing.

Many Americans in Disbelief Over Trump-Biden Election Rematch - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

America Stares Down a Trump-Biden Repeat in Disbelief and Denial
Unable to fathom a 2020 rematch, many Americans are clinging to forlorn hopes and floating wild theories — including that Michelle Obama might replace President Biden.

just keeps mixing up people time after time the more speeches he does.  People talk about Biden having dementia but watching Trump’s speeches this year especially, the conclusion must be the same.

Edited by nick76

54 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Ron is out, and endorses Trump on his way out. 

After Trump has spent months humiliating and abusing him. what a **** coward. One eye on 2028?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Unfortunately it's as simple as this .... Media has taken over the world.

We no longer think for ourselves, instead we are told what to think.

Are you speaking for yourself there?

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Are you speaking for yourself there?

No, he's right. I've read it on this media platform so now I believe it. 

On 20/01/2024 at 04:42, nick76 said:

just keeps mixing up people time after time the more speeches he does.  People talk about Biden having dementia but watching Trump’s speeches this year especially, the conclusion must be the same.

Can't believe how, what should be the most important popularity contest on earth, is decided between 2 people I wouldn't leave alone in a house with a working cooker. 

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

After Trump has spent months humiliating and abusing him. what a **** coward. One eye on 2028?

It's highly likely by 2027/8 neither Trump or Biden will be able to manage office. Hence the reason Ron Desantis / Vivek "gracefully" pulled out of the race and nominated Trump - they are queuing up for the VP position, which will effectively be the presidential nomination for the second term.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

yeah probably. Happened in 2016 as well..... there was always going to be only 1 Republican candidate in '24. 

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Trump to giftwrap it for his idol?

I'm not sure its as simple as Twitter suggests  , the decree  allocates funds for the search, registration, and legal protection of Russian property abroad, including property in the former territories of the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union.. I don't think it even specifically mentioned Alaska ? that seems to have been the work of pro Russia bloggers who made a wish list of the territory they want back .. 

Edited by tonyh29

On 19/01/2024 at 03:30, tonyh29 said:

His policy towards Iran in a petty bid to scrap Obama's flagship policy could have been deemed dangerous , but Biden's administration doesn't appear to have made any moves to reverse it and indeed assassinated one of Irans top generals in 2020 , which  took them close to war  

Qasem Soleimani was assassinated in Jan 2020, eleven months before Biden came to power. As you say, this was an action that nearly bought about war after scrapping a peace deal with no fallback option. I'd call that pretty dangerous.

You'll have to forgive me for not fact checking the rest since that was a pretty well know Trump administration action.

It seems the democrats are actually pondering if they should run someone else now.

At this point, anyone with even a slight cognitive skill could slaughter Trump and Biden in a debate, they're both so far off it that it's crazy.

Hoping for Haley in New Hampshire, and that someone with in the dems actually starts their campaign there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

It seems the democrats are actually pondering if they should run someone else now.

At this point, anyone with even a slight cognitive skill could slaughter Trump and Biden in a debate, they're both so far off it that it's crazy.

Hoping for Haley in New Hampshire, and that someone with in the dems actually starts their campaign there.

Interesting hypothesis: what if Haley wins? I think she could beat Biden as moderate republicans can accept her and far left dems would be less motivated to vote because the alternative is not Trump. Extreme republicans would vote for her to own the libs. (Unless Trump tells them not to)

it would also be curious to see the future of the GOP, as president Haley would become the leader of the party. Would she be able to bring back some common sense? I know she is more establishment, but would she be able to bring the maga crowd back to reality.

Â