U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It all seems a little bit pointless as I doubt Trump will ever end up behind bars which is the only place the world will be safe from him

It’ll be interesting if he does get convicted what does happen.  As you say behind normal jail bars is not going to happen but will it be a limiting home arrest of some kind or would it be required to be at some facility at least, taking into account the secret service requirements.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’ll be interesting if he does get convicted what does happen.  As you say behind normal jail bars is not going to happen but will it be a limiting home arrest of some kind or would it be required to be at some facility at least, taking into account the secret service requirements.

Maybe we can offer to look after him in The Tower. 

Could become a tourist attraction. Put him in stocks out the front. 

• Like 2

Relevant for the rise of fascism everywhere but good article here on how an out and out white supremacist now has serious influence.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/richard-hanania-white-supremacist-pseudonym-richard-hoste_n_64c93928e4b021e2f295e817

A prominent conservative writer, lionized by Silicon Valley billionaires and a U.S. senator, used a pen name for years to write for white supremacist publications and was a formative voice during the rise of the racist “alt-right,” according to a new HuffPost investigation.

Richard Hanania, a visiting scholar at the University of Texas, used the pen name “Richard Hoste” in the early 2010s to write articles where he identified himself as a “race realist.” He expressed support for eugenics and the forced sterilization of “low IQ” people, who he argued were most often Black. He opposed “miscegenation” and “race-mixing.” And once, while arguing that Black people cannot govern themselves, he cited the neo-Nazi author of “The Turner Diaries,” the infamous novel that celebrates a future race war.

A decade later, writing under his real name, Hanania has ensconced himself in the national mainstream media, writing op-eds in the country’s biggest papers, bending the ears of some of the world’s wealthiest men and lecturing at prestigious universities, all while keeping his past white supremacist writings under wraps.

If they can start the trial in December, convict him and knock down appeals by the following October, we could, quite astonishingly, see Trump thrown in prison for the rest of his life.

:cheers:

17 hours ago, Genie said:

It all seems a little bit pointless as I doubt Trump will ever end up behind bars which is the only place the world will be safe from him

Sadly this is not true. As others have said, he can run (and even serve as President ) legally even as a convict.* Where he could immediately pardon himself and be released.

*Ironically with a felony conviction you cannot vote, so he could be elected President without being able to vote for himself.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

That remains untested. 

Also, is every single crime he’s currently charged with Federal?

No, NY charges are classed as state in terms of the pardoning rules so he couldn’t pardon those if convicted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Can one our american friends tell me about vivek ramaswarmy?

Out of all the people going for the leadership vote against biden he seems the better one out of a shit bunch

I’m not American so I’ll leave the full answer to somebody else but he’s one of the worst mate.  Interesting thought though of who are the best out of those GOP candidates…something I will ponder I’m sure today.

I wouldn’t trust him and I don’t think he’s genuinely interested in the race, he’s just raising his profile.  Found the article I read last month on him that gives you some insight but you should watch his interviews on right wing media, it’s a little scary imo.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/20/vivek-ramaswamy-pete-buttigieg-00107193

His positions on Ukraine (cut a deal with Vladimir Putin), the FBI (replace it) and Jan. 6 (caused by censorship), just happen to be perfectly aligned with the fashionable populist tendency within the GOP.

In certain respects, he’s more pro-Trump than Trump. The former president maintains his innocence in the classified documents case, but Ramaswamy traveled to Miami the day Trump was arraigned to demand that the other Republican candidates join him and commit to pardoning Trump.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

Ramaswarmy, if his comments are genuinely what he believes, is a hyper capitalist who believes that anything that deviates from a pure profit motive is bad and anything progressive is a harm to profits. Climate change policies harm oil profits, therefore climate policies are bad and we should promote oil and gas companies to make as much money as possible because that money will definitely be used to help the climate after the fact, but it's not so big of an issue that when they definitely don't do that it'll be fine. He is against worker rights, wants to end the Ukraine war by letting Russia win, seems to support empowering the President to essentially be even more an unopposable all powerful king like figure when elected (the red flag of all red flags)...

He's good candidate if you've no idea what the word good and candidate mean. Or if you're so rich that literally no policy matters to you in any meaningful way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can one our american friends tell me about vivek ramaswarmy?

Out of all the people going for the leadership vote against biden he seems the better one out of a shit bunch

😮

• Confused 2

The planet is burning and that stupid, thick, narcissistic, fascistic, climate change denying word removed Donald Trump is the main political issue in one of the few countries that could actually help us save the planet if they could get their act together.

What a stupid species we are.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The planet is burning and that stupid, thick, narcissistic, fascistic, climate change denying word removed Donald Trump is the main political issue in one of the few countries that could actually help us save the planet if they could get their act together.

What a stupid species we are.

The problem is not just Trump, but the entire GOP, which is an enemy of the world.

• Like 1

Â