U.S. Politics

maqroll

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Curiously, the list doesn't include Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Lebanon, or Afghanistan. You know, the countries whose citizens have committed terrorist acts in the US. Presumably they buy too much shit for them to be turned away. Wouldn't want to upset the Saudis..Just turn away enough brown folk that the dumb **** who vote Trump are happy.

Hmmm I wonder..

C3Czet2W8AEbSWp.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/us/refugees-detained-at-us-airports-prompting-legal-challenges-to-trumps-immigration-order.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&mtrref=t.co&gwh=3E66218A7DC5AC49DE0C6AD2D71FF4F2&gwt=pay&_r=0

President Trump’s executive order closing the nation’s borders to refugees was put into immediate effect Friday night. Refugees who were in the air on the way to the United States when the order was signed were stopped and detained at airports.

The detentions prompted legal challenges as lawyers representing two Iraqis held at Kennedy Airport filed a writ of habeas corpus early Saturday in the Eastern District of New York seeking to have their clients released. At the same time, they filed a motion for class certification, in an effort to represent all refugees and immigrants who they said were being unlawfully detained at ports of entry.

Mr. Trump’s order, which suspends entry of all refugees to the United States for 120 days, created a legal limbo for individuals on the way to the United States and panic for families who were awaiting their arrival.

This is normal.

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Permanent US residents holding green cards are being turned away at airports when they try to reenter the United States, if they're from the countries banned by Trump's executive order. What a **** shit show.

Curiously, the list doesn't include Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Lebanon, or Afghanistan. You know, the countries whose citizens have committed terrorist acts in the US. Presumably they buy too much shit for them to be turned away. Wouldn't want to upset the Saudis..Just turn away enough brown folk that the dumb **** who vote Trump are happy.

US residents who live permanently in the country, with their families and jobs there, who have briefly left the country are being refused entry when they try to return home. You have to be pretty **** in the head to think that this is ok.

Just to be clear, it wouldn't be any better if they were turning away Saudi or Pakistani green card holders. 

EDIT: I know you know this, I'm not trying to be patronising, but it's important to stress that the issue is morality not consistency. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

If they get away with this, they might want to see who else they can control. Maybe Americans will be restricted from flying to those countries...maybe bank accounts will be seized, opposition groups targeted.  It's all plausible.

The ACLU is going to be kept very busy.

I've always wondered what it was like witnessing Hitler's rise to power and the feeling of unity against another countries leader and actions.

While I don't expect it to go anywhere near that wrong, I think this is one of first political acts by Western democracy of my life time (28) where such a racist and widespread action can cause real damage and is so plainly terrible.

Edited by Nicho

It is mental shit.  I genuinely wonder what the chances are of Trump trying to get rid of the two term rule and do a Putin are.  Is it even remotely possible?  He seems to just do whatever the **** he wants.  I'm not laughing at him any more, it's really getting a bit scary.  

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

It is mental shit.  I genuinely wonder what the chances are of Trump trying to get rid of the two term rule and do a Putin are.  Is it even remotely possible?  He seems to just do whatever the **** he wants.  I'm not laughing at him any more, it's really getting a bit scary.  

I can't see it. Despite all that's happened American institutions are a lot stronger and he'd need to rewrite the constitution to stay in power longer than two terms. There's no way it could happen.

For what it's worth, I think he'll probably lose in 2020 (if he hasn't been impeached by then) but sadly he could still do a lot of damage.

Trump is apparently going to prioritize Christian refugees now. 

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said in a new interview Friday that persecuted Christians will be given priority over other refugees seeking to enter the United States, saying they have been "horribly treated."

Speaking with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Trump said that it had been "impossible, or at least very tough" for Syrian Christians to enter the United States.

"If you were a Muslim you could come in, but if you were a Christian, it was almost impossible and the reason that was so unfair -- everybody was persecuted, in all fairness -- but they were chopping off the heads of everybody but more so the Christians. And I thought it was very, very unfair. So we are going to help them."

Trump did not name a reason or offer any evidence about why the agencies that vet refugees, including the Department of Homeland Security and the State Department, would have prioritized Muslim refugees over Christians.

According to a report by the non-partisan Pew Research Center, however, 99% of the nearly 12,600 Syrians granted refugee status last year were Muslims. Less than 1% were Christian. Syria's population is 87% Muslim and 10% Christian, according to the CIA World Fact Book.

Also on Friday, Trump signed an executive order explicitly freezing refugee applications from Syria. It's unclear how his pledge to help persecuted Christians from that country will accord with the order.

The United States admitted a record number of 38,901 Muslim refugees in 2016, according to a study conducted by Pew. But nearly the same number of Christians, 37,521 were also admitted.

At the same time, many Christian groups that resettle refugees in the United States decry the persecution of their brethren overseas, but said the country should not give favor to fellow Christians or bar Muslims.

"We would resist that strongly," Scott Arbeiter, president of World Relief, the humanitarian arm of the National Association of Evangelicals and one of nine agencies that partner with the federal government to resettle refugees.

"Some of the most vulnerable people in the world right now are Muslims. If we say no Muslim should be let in, we are denying the humanity and dignity of people made in the image of God."

Arbeiter said he and his group have tried unsuccessfully to meet with the new Trump administration to discuss refugee policy.

A study conducted by the libertarian Cato Institute found that between 1975-2015, the United States admitted approximately 700,000 asylum-seekers and 3.25 million refugees. Four asylum-seekers and 20 refugees later became terrorists and launched attacks on US soil.

"The chance of being murdered in a terrorist attack committed by an asylum-seeker was one in 2.73 billion a year," wrote the study's author, Alex Nowrasteh. "The chance of being murdered in a terrorist attack committed by a refugee is one in 3.64 billion a year."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/trump-christian-refugees/

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He also said this:

Fair play to him it's just how you'd want your leader to react whilst the newly elected nut job on your door step does the opposite.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

He also said this:

Fair play to him it's just how you'd want your leader to react whilst the newly elected nut job on your door step does the opposite.

Trump's probably already thinking he is going to build a wall on the Canadian Border now.

Â