Coventry City

maqroll

Just checked the Championship - holy ****, they're absolutely flying.  Could've sworn they were bottom not so long ago - currently 11th!

Edit:  Also with a couple of games in hand.  Win one and they're in the playoffs.

Edited by bobzy

17 hours ago, Genie said:

Mike Ashley has bought the Coventry Building Society Arena (Ricoh as most know it) for £17m.

I’m not sure if this is good news or not for Coventry City yet though. 

He hasn't bought the arena, it's actually the operating company, ACL. 

The stadium belongs to and is leased from, Cov City Council.

6 minutes ago, turnbull said:

He hasn't bought the arena, it's actually the operating company, ACL. 

The stadium belongs to and is leased from, Cov City Council.

The Council own the freehold but not the stadium. MA now owns the stadium via his acquisition of the 3 companies he bought for £17m.

Incidentally the bloke who just bought Coventry FC tried to buy the stadium and offered £25m but was too late. I wonder if those 2 are going to clash over this. Will MA sell it on to him for the £25m he offered and make a very nice, quick profit? Clever if he does that. 

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Council own the freehold but not the stadium. MA now owns the stadium via his acquisition of the 3 companies he bought for £17m.

Incidentally the bloke who just bought Coventry FC tried to buy the stadium and offered £25m but was too late. I wonder if those 2 are going to clash over this. Will MA sell it on to him for the £25m he offered and make a very nice, quick profit? Clever if he does that. 

I think opportunistic is the word you’re seeking (as opposed to clever).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I stand corrected. 

I agree, opportunistic rather than clever. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/11/2022 at 17:59, bobzy said:

Just checked the Championship - holy ****, they're absolutely flying.  Could've sworn they were bottom not so long ago - currently 11th!

Edit:  Also with a couple of games in hand.  Win one and they're in the playoffs.

they were only bottom because they had a load of games cancelled at the start of the season so they were constantly catching up.

They're doing well. Looks like they'll be around the playoffs most of the season

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

Just seen they have been issued with an eviction notice by the new owners of the CBS Arena.

Mike Ashley trying to force the new Coventry City owners to buy the stadium off him is my guess. 

It's been a nightmare for Coventry ever since they moved into the swanky new stadium the council provided for them, strange to think that back then they thought it would be the trigger for a new era of success; a stadium fit for the Premier League.

It's a really difficult situation for them now - they won't be able to move back into sharing the sty as it's currently a building site with a confusion on ownership and I'm not sure it's in the interests of West Brom or small heath to offer a reasonable rate to a direct rival - so it's hard to see where they go next - the Poundland? Northampton? Milton Keynes?

It's a mess.

My take on it is this. One of the provisos of the CBS paying to have their name on the arena was that Cov had to playing there. If he kicks them out, then CBS will drop the deal and Ashley can call the place what he likes, the Massive Mug Arena maybe.

Sky Blues will be desperate for somewhere to play, so Ashley will try to get a deal on improved terms, the rent was cheap under Wasps (probably the main reason for evicting them). Job done. He'll then be hoping that SISU will agree through clenched teeth and he can then buy what's left of the club for a song. Stumbling block for that part of the plan could be local businessman, Doug King owning the lion's share. Unless, he's in on it all, of course. 🤔

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not sure what he has done wrong here. He has bought a property that didnt belong to Coventry

If I'm reading the situation right, he's obtained an asset with intent to screw over Coventry purely for his financial gain. He's entered in to no negotiation with them and offered them take-it-or-leave it terms despite them already being within a contract period. I'm sure it's legal but it's a very grubby way of doing business. Then again, it's exactly how he's always made his money.  

What's the stadium worth without Coventry FC though? 

Wasps won't have a bean without Premiership money assuming they keep going at all. 

I assume the Council won't allow him to knock it down for housing or a supermarket. 

It's going to be who blinks first. 

Whatever its a stark lesson that the club should never be divorced from the stadium. We're in that same boat really. I think we can trust NSWE but if ever some unknown shit ever hit the fan, ultimately the Club don't own Villa Park. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What's the stadium worth without Coventry FC though? 

Wasps won't have a bean without Premiership money assuming they keep going at all. 

I assume the Council won't allow him to knock it down for housing or a supermarket. 

It's going to be who blinks first. 

Whatever its a stark lesson that the club should never be divorced from the stadium. We're in that same boat really. I think we can trust NSWE but if ever some unknown shit ever hit the fan, ultimately the Club don't own Villa Park. 

It holds quite a lot of music events, or at least it did. 

48 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It holds quite a lot of music events, or at least it did. 

I don't think a few music events a year is enough. They will need some regular guaranteed income. 

Plus Villa Park seems to have started bidding for music events now as well so they'll likely get less in future. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't think a few music events a year is enough. They will need some regular guaranteed income. 

Plus Villa Park seems to have started bidding for music events now as well so they'll likely get less in future. 

The history of Cov's tenancy at the stadium is pretty chequered, mostly of their owners doing too. Chickens come home to roost, really.

Wasps look finished TBH. RFU Phoenix club regs state returning clubs should play at their last home for at least 3 years. They'd never afford the rent on championship attendances especially when there's an established club a stones throw away.

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

I have a feeling though that V Sports group, the parent company of NSWE Sports Limited that owns Aston Villa also owns the company that owns Villa Park - so while 'we' don't own the stadium, I have a feeling that the company that 'owns' us does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â