Jimzk5

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Seemed like Wolves had a semi-second team out, City also changed a lot of players but let's face it, it was a still a multi-million pound line up. Wolves have a terrific manager, that's the bottom line. 

And also a expensively assembled squad. He is doing very well so far but i will be interested to see how they do if the likes of Jota and Bonatini do if both got injured.  

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Seemed like Wolves had a semi-second team out, City also changed a lot of players but let's face it, it was a still a multi-million pound line up. Wolves have a terrific manager, that's the bottom line. 

Agree with this. I went with a Wolves mate last night who had a spare ticket, and they were terrific have to say. Didn't just park the bus either, they had a good, organised shape but also attacked when they could and had 4 guilt edged chances to score and took the game to Man City. As you say, they've pulled off a good one with Nuno. Tactically he's very good and you can tell he's managed big clubs before. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

And also a expensively assembled squad. He is doing very well so far but i will be interested to see how they do if the likes of Jota and Bonatini do if both got injured.  

So has Bruce, and he's done the grand total of **** all in terms of style 12 months. Nuno has been at Wolves two minutes. Therein lies the difference

4 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

So has Bruce, and he's done the grand total of **** all in terms of style 12 months. Nuno has been at Wolves two minutes. Therein lies the difference

To be honest, I don't think it does. The transfer fees might be comparable, but the quality of player purchased over the last two seasons is not. 

You can argue that's because the club and/or Bruce are inept if you want, but I think it would be impossible to deny that the Mendes connection has given them the ability to bring in personnel of a quality beyond the level that other Championship clubs can attract. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, I don't think it does. The transfer fees might be comparable, but the quality of player purchased over the last two seasons is not. 

You can argue that's because the club and/or Bruce are inept if you want, but I think it would be impossible to deny that the Mendes connection has given them the ability to bring in personnel of a quality beyond the level that other Championship clubs can attract. 

Agreed for ages I was angry with Wolves and their blatant disregard for FFP but then I realised they basically have done what we did last year. They've just done it a lot better. 

Difference is they have bought players for £15m who are actually worth that if not more now in Neves and Costa. We paid it for Championship players because we had to give our competitors offers they couldn't refuse to sell their best players. 

It meant we hugely overpaid for several players while they have got a number of seemingly shrewd deals.

No doubt the Mendes connection is the difference. He's the top agent in the game and it's showing. Can't be angry at that fair play to them. Only thing I'll say is it'll be interesting to see how this works out over the longer term. It doesn't pass the smell test for me especially with Mendes only attending 2 games in 18 months of involvement with the club. 

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well some of the big names either didn't play or came on late in the game yesterday. They did very well without Neves and Jota. 

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, but why haven't we been shopping abroad for top talent? Sums up Bruce/the club's dinosaur transfer policy when all we ever do is sign old heads and 'proven championship players', is more my point. Obviously the Mendes connection helps, but like where's our scouting network, what do they do? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves showing how good they are, let's hope this takes its toll on them for weekebd

Yes I think Wolves were certainly impressive against us but I wouldn't take too much from the carabao cup game. If it had been a league game City would probably have won 5-0

24 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Yes, but why haven't we been shopping abroad for top talent? Sums up Bruce/the club's dinosaur transfer policy when all we ever do is sign old heads and 'proven championship players', is more my point. Obviously the Mendes connection helps, but like where's our scouting network, what do they do? 

possibly because we got bit after we sent all our scouts for a holiday in france...but you're right, for all the guff we've had about restructuring the club and scouting better etc i've seen absolutely no evidence of it so far, the best thing about wolves model is that when the inevitable happens and neves reaches his potential they'll make £20-30m profit on him, we'll be stuck with the likes of jedinak and whelan on decent wages forming another bomb squad

• Like 1

We're a club who will always just piss money away. 12m on Ross McCormack, 15m on Hogan ... urgh.

Fair play to Wolves, they're doing it the right way. We've failed miserably really thus far.

If Wolves get promoted they look like a team that can be built upon. If we somehow manage it I think we'll need more of a rebuild. 

But maybe i'm being overly negative about Villa as I pay more attention to us. Not sure.

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We're a club who will always just piss money away. 12m on Ross McCormack, 15m on Hogan ... urgh.

Fair play to Wolves, they're doing it the right way. We've failed miserably really thus far.

If Wolves get promoted they look like a team that can be built upon. If we somehow manage it I think we'll need more of a rebuild. 

But maybe i'm being overly negative about Villa as I pay more attention to us. Not sure.

I think they will be under a lot more scrutiny if/when they go up based on Mendes' role at the club. It's very dodgy to say the least.

56 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think they will be under a lot more scrutiny if/when they go up based on Mendes' role at the club. It's very dodgy to say the least.

Thing is Mendes prob has his hands involved with every major club in the world which will help his cause

Â