Jimzk5

23 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Think they have a genuine chance of the play offs this season. They have signed some real quality and I see them as real contenders.

Which is what people were saying this time last year and for the same reasons as last year I don't think they will be.

37 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Which is what people were saying this time last year and for the same reasons as last year I don't think they will be.

They had Lambert always was going to fail with him there

I dont know too much about tgis new manager though so could be the same

40 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

True, but they have added to that 'quality' with, IMO, even better quality. That said they are still badly lacking quality up front, if they do get a really good forward in then they will, IMO, be a force this season.

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think they have improved their squad since last year and they don't have the handicap of Paul Lambert this time around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As expected they are bringing in a Portuguese speaking forward on loan.

Leo Bonatini from Al Hilal on a season long loan. Know nothing about him,  supposed to be really fast with a good shot. His stats from the last seasons are rather good.

Think this would be their 4th loan signing for the season.

23 minutes ago, sne said:

As expected they are bringing in a Portuguese speaking forward on loan.

Leo Bonatini from Al Hilal on a season long loan. Know nothing about him,  supposed to be really fast with a good shot. His stats from the last seasons are rather good.

Think this would be their 4th loan signing for the season.

Sounds like they have signed a bunch of gifted players, but you need more than that in this league as know. You need a strong team that can play well together 

I think Wolves are spending recklessly. If they dont go up they are going to be in huge trouble financially just like us. But the saving grace for me is we are at least taking steps this window  

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sounds like they have signed a bunch of gifted players, but you need more than that in this league as know. You need a strong team that can play well together 

I think Wolves are spending recklessly. If they dont go up they are going to be in huge trouble financially just like us. But the saving grace for me is we are at least taking steps this window  

Which is why 4 loan signings might be clever.

As I said, I think they (unlike us) will recoup a large part of their outlay on players and even make profit should it go tits up.

I think they are doing a very exciting project, and one I hoped we would do when we got a new owner.

No doubt it's a big gamble, and a totally different one to the one we are making.

Nothing to say it will be successful. But I think the parts are there. 

As you say, they have to make a team out of it as well, and I think their chances of this are increased by signing Portuguese speaking players or players who have played there that will work well with the manager.

Signing these kind of players and still having Lambert or a similar manager would have been a disaster most likely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

As I said, I think they (unlike us) will recoup a large part of their outlay on players and even make profit should it go tits up.

I think they are doing a very exciting project, and one I hoped we would do when we got a new owner.

No doubt it's a big gamble, and a totally different one to the one we are making.

As you say, they have to make a team out of it as well, and I think their chances of this are increased by signing Portuguese speaking players or players who have played there that will work well with the manager.

Signing these kind of players and still having Lambert or a similar manager would have been a disaster most likely.

It might be or not so much. If they impress they will go elsewhere

It could work out well for them, I really dont know but I think we will see a lot of inconsistency for them this year.

The thing is with the whole Portuguese thing we tried that with Remi and that failed. Big gamble i think and I do think its reckless if they dont go up  

1 hour ago, sne said:

What I would say is that this project has a very sinister undertone (Jorge Mendes). No doubt in my mind that what he is doing is breaking the rules, but Wolves are too 'under the radar' for anyone to give a shit about. Something about this project smacks of short-term-ism. Mendes stands to make a lot of money from player sales, I'd be wary about the actual 'profit' Wolves stand to make from sales. 

If they get promoted soon then it's mission accomplished I guess, but if they fail to go up over the next couple of seasons I'd wager that interest will be lost and Wolves will be left in one hell of a state. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

What I would say is that this project has a very sinister undertone (Jorge Mendes). No doubt in my mind that what he is doing is breaking the rules, but Wolves are too 'under the radar' for anyone to give a shit about. Something about this project smacks of short-term-ism. Mendes stands to make a lot of money from player sales, I'd be wary about the actual 'profit' Wolves stand to make from sales. 

If they get promoted soon then it's mission accomplished I guess, but if they fail to go up over the next couple of seasons I'd wager that interest will be lost and Wolves will be left in one hell of a state. 

Oh absolutely, no doubt about it.

Should be noted that in the 14/15 season Wolves was one of only 6 Championships clubs making a profit.

They also had one of the lowest wages spent of all teams. Only Rotherham were lower.

They also had among the lowest in the PL (17th) when they were relegated

Among the highest revenues in the league.

Among the highest revenues  excluding parachutes payments in the league.

All the while we were one of the highest spenders on wages in the PL for consecutive seasons and hemorrhaging money.

Both clubs have spent a lot of money in the last season, although us a lot more. The parachute payments make up for some of this for us, but this is only a very small part.

The Swiss Ramble has a massive article about Wolves economy, and one about ours. Both  from 2016.

They are good reads, but I hope he makes new ones about where we are now. He is by far the best writer out there..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sne said:

Should be noted that in the 14/15 season Wolves was one of only 6 Championships clubs making a profit.

They also had one of the lowest wages spent of all teams. Only Rotherham were lower.

They also had among the lowest in the PL (17th) when they were relegated

Among the highest revenues in the league.

Among the highest revenues  excluding parachutes payments in the league.

All the while we were one of the highest spenders on wages in the PL for consecutive seasons and hemorrhaging money.

Both clubs have spent a lot of money in the last season, although us a lot more. The parachute payments make up for some of this for us, but this is only a very small part.

The Swiss Ramble has a massive article about Wolves economy, and one about ours. Both  from 2016.

They are good reads, but I hope he makes new ones about where we are now. He is by far the best writer out there..

Steve Morgan was a very careful chairman. Of course they ended up hating him, he never spent anything, but he left the club in an excellent state. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There is so much about modern football which is extremely ugly. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â