Jimzk5

25 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Valencia is probably the biggest warning sign out there.. 

When Gary Neville rocks up at Compton I’ll start to worry. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Traore has tested positive for CV on international duty - what will this mean in terms of the opening match of Wolves season?

Will he need to isolate for two weeks on his return?

There will be a follow up test but potentially and then there is the question of if he has had contact with any other staff/players.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2020 at 11:41, bannedfromHandV said:

Anyone else feel like something’s a bit ‘off’ with the Doherty transfer?

First team regular sold for what is very little money (by all accounts) in today’s market.

Some kind of back-hand deal with Spurs/Mourinho? 

Yup, Considering we are on the very of a £16m deal for Matty Cash who's only played one season at RB in the Championship 

5 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s effectively price fixing, when the agent of the also represents both managers.

Its a huge problem that needs to be addressed. 

Yep, but they've benefited from enough ridiculous prices.

Now they'll have to swallow being robbed of a player for once.

They are at the mercy of Mendes. If he wants to move Neves or Traore or Jimenez on, they're off within a week.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I see sarkic has been loaned out to wycombe. His move maked so little sense to me. Gone from our reserves to wolves reserves. 

In the context of what we have seen with the Academy and the desire to have a younger Under 23 side perhaps it does....

12 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s effectively price fixing, when the agent of the also represents both managers.

Its a huge problem that needs to be addressed. 

From a wolves perspective when the players are coming in I actually think fair play to them, did something no else did and saved themselves a ton of money in the process

Imagine if Swiss Tony had actual money and had gone out and bought raiola's company at the same time, we could be sat watching villa with de ligt and haaland 

If anything actually surprised man City or psgs owners haven't gone out and bought him, the fee on the pogba deal was rumoured to be £25m alone 

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Yep, but they've benefited from enough ridiculous prices.

Now they'll have to swallow being robbed of a player for once.

They are at the mercy of Mendes. If he wants to move Neves or Traore or Jimenez on, they're off within a week.

It’s only a matter of time before a Mendes player moves to a Mendes manager for a surprisingly high fee because he has the inside track on what the owner is willing to pay. Imagine if ‘Arry was still around the kind of dodgy money movements he’d be doing. 

8 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

it really does stand out in the uber ethical world of football.

If you have me down as thinking that football is anything other than an industry full of scumbags, crooks and grifters, you have me wrong. It is very firmly my opinion that agents should never represent both sides to a deal, as they cannot possibly offer impartial advice, and if I note that Jorge Mendes seems to be the absolute worst abuser of that dynamic, it's not to suggest that anyone else has clean hands or wouldn't be doing the same thing if they could. The handful of people who seem to be mostly honest - I've always thought that Simon Jordan came across like that, as someone who insists that contracts actually mean something and that football clubs don't *have to* be run in a corrupt manner - seem to mostly be regarded as clearings in the woods, even or perhaps especially by the fans of their own clubs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you have me down as thinking that football is anything other than an industry full of scumbags, crooks and grifters, you have me wrong. It is very firmly my opinion that agents should never represent both sides to a deal, as they cannot possibly offer impartial advice, and if I note that Jorge Mendes seems to be the absolute worst abuser of that dynamic, it's not to suggest that anyone else has clean hands or wouldn't be doing the same thing if they could. The handful of people who seem to be mostly honest - I've always thought that Simon Jordan came across like that, as someone who insists that contracts actually mean something and that football clubs don't *have to* be run in a corrupt manner - seem to mostly be regarded as clearings in the woods, even or perhaps especially by the fans of their own clubs.

In this particular case, Mendes represents Doherty, Nuno, and Jose, but really, he's just representing Doherty here, but I understand your point, he's aware of much more than other agents might be in this situation.

I don't see what can be practically done here though, do you propose that a player cannot be sold to a club where the agent represents the buying club's manager as well as the player?

The alternative is maybe a fourth party steps in I guess.

We should also consider that it's not too shady a deal.  I was taken back by the fee as were most, but the alternative view is we're selling a player who has played most of his career in the championship and league one, only ever performed particularly well in one system under one coach, and struggles to get in his national team ahead of Seamus Coleman.

On top of this, he wants to leave, he's given the club ten years solid service, it's not like there is a bidding war for him, Wolves don't want an unhappy player around, and he should be someone we can relatively easily replace.

It might not fit some people's agenda, but the club had to ok this deal, they didn't just bow down once King Mendes banged on the door.

6 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

I don't see what can be practically done here though, do you propose that a player cannot be sold to a club where the agent represents the buying club's manager as well as the player?

The alternative is maybe a fourth party steps in I guess.

Until Donald Trump became president, it was standard practice for presidents to place their financial interests in a 'blind trust' and to have no contact with the people hired to run that trust. This appears to have been largely honoured as well. In this case, an agent would have to hire another party to represent one of their interests, and they would have no contact about coordination with the client or that other party during the process.

If this system were actually rigidly enforced - ha! - it would have other benefits as well. Most notably, since it would be a faff to go to all this trouble regularly, it would lead to less concentration of the agency industry, as agents would preferentially want to avoid situations where they had to contract out their work and so would diversify their portfolios.

14 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

It might not fit some people's agenda, but the club had to ok this deal, they didn't just bow down once King Mendes banged on the door.

I just want to clarify that my 'agenda' in this case is the honest running of football as an industry. It has little or nothing to do with the specifics of Wolves or Mendes or Doherty, and I can promise you I would feel the same way about a transfer if Villa were involved in it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I just want to clarify that my 'agenda' in this case is the honest running of football as an industry. It has little or nothing to do with the specifics of Wolves or Mendes or Doherty, and I can promise you I would feel the same way about a transfer if Villa were involved in it.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about yourself there.

I share your wishes for an honest industry.

• Like 1

Â