West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

They have been sold to a Chinese company, this could be bad news for us if we get promoted

West Brom confirm takeover by Chinese investment group

By Ben Reynolds

Last Updated: 05/08/16 8:34am

West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace has sold the club to a Chinese investment group, subject to approval by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Premier League.

Peace is to resign as chairman after 14 years in the post, with former Blackburn chairman John Williams taking over. 

The Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development Limited group is headed by entrepreneur Guochuan Lai, with the deal initially agreed on June 24. Reviews by the FCA and Premier League are currently under way. 

"I believe this deal will enable Albion to build on the strong, sustainable foundations that have been the cornerstone of the club's progress," Peace told the club's official website.

Jeremy Peace will resign after selling West Brom to a Chinese investment group

Lai added: "I am excited and privileged to have the chance to become the new owner of this great club. 

"My immediate priorities will be to maintain the club's stable structure, respecting its well-run nature and its heritage. I have no intention of changing the club's ethos."

Brum Clubs are becoming Little China

Edited by Demitri_C

I think it's great news.

First of all its not Jianlin as has been widely reported, that really would have been bad news.

Secondly just read the statement, he wants to continue the way the club is run. 

So that is Villa, Wolves, WBA and Small Heath all in Chinese hands, what is it about Midlands clubs? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think it's great news.

First of all its not Jianlin as has been widely reported, that really would have been bad news.

So that is Villa, Wolves, WBA and Small Heath all in Chinese hands, what is it about Midlands clubs? 

Ah I thought Jianlin was involved?

Would have been galling had it been the £20bn conglomerate - as it stands it has no tangible effect on us - we are in different divisions and appears on the face of it to be business as usual for them.

On the plus side a bit of healthy competition for Tony may just light a hotter fire underneath him.

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think it's great news.

drawn in by the famous 'Arcadian'

5 hours ago, SamDLowe said:

No other Chinese owner will compare to Dr Xia when it comes to passion and hilarious tweets, that's for sure. It might disrupt his plans on making Villa the most supported club in China.

How realistic was that anyway? Surely people in China will prefer the teams like Chelsea and Man U anyway?

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

How realistic was that anyway? Surely people in China will prefer the teams like Chelsea and Man U anyway?

Not realistic whatsoever, which was obvious the entire time. People on this site really will believe any old rubbish if you put the world 'Villa' in it somewhere. 

Â