The QPR circus thread

dudevillaisnice

Parachute payments should cover any fine should they go down. Kind of makes a mockery of their promotion though, almost like a cheat mode!

Think Leicester are in the same situation should they be relegated.

Good old Burnley did it the right way and will probably be the most likely to fall.

Parachute payments should cover any fine should they go down

They won't cover 40m, and they don't get the parachute payment until after the first season afaik (though they WOULD get their TV money for this season next summer, so that could cover it).

There's also the issue of a fine of 40m meaning that they've got pretty much no way of paying the assortment of inevitably overpaid players they've got on their books, and they'd likely get a transfer ban preventing them from replacing them.

The most likely scenario here is that, if they get relegated, they'll agree a deal with the football league based on both previous season TV money and parachute payments, probably over 2-3 seasons, with a points deduction at the start of the first season.

Also, for the record, I called this entire sh*tshow the week before the playoff final, seemingly before anyone in the media realised what was coming. Ergo I am the best football journalist in the world (despite not being a football journalist)

It's not going to make me terribly popular here I know, but I do have some sympathy for Fernandes' argument on this one. Obviously a small club will acquire a large wage bill in the PL, it seems very harsh to immediately judge it in the first season down. I get that these situations will always happen with FFP (and without it, QPR and similar teams are at a big advantage) but I do feel there might be a more balanced way to approach the rules. 

On the other hand, of course I hate Redknapp so anything that hurts him doesn't make me too sad. 

• Like 1

It's not going to make me terribly popular here I know, but I do have some sympathy for Fernandes' argument on this one. Obviously a small club will acquire a large wage bill in the PL, it seems very harsh to immediately judge it in the first season down. I get that these situations will always happen with FFP (and without it, QPR and similar teams are at a big advantage) but I do feel there might be a more balanced way to approach the rules. 

On the other hand, of course I hate Redknapp so anything that hurts him doesn't make me too sad. 

Forget being popular, it is Fernandes' money and he should be able to spend it however the hell he likes. FFP is an attempt at driving the final nail in the coffin for the modern game, those in charge should be **** ashamed of themselves. 

• Like 1

Having a wage bill bigger than Dortmund the other year was a bit embarrassing though.

Teams like Swansea, Stoke and West Brom have shown you can stay up for more than one year without blowing fortunes on the team.

The thing for me is when QPR were relegated they just kept on signing players on expensive deals e.g. Dunne, Krankjaer, Benayoun etc.

Just give them a transfer embargo for 6 months, imagine then not being able to sign anyone in January, relegated no problem.

If Fernandes can spend his money any way he likes, then any owner can spend their money any way they like, which means (yet again) that success = whoever has the most money to piss away. That isn't football, at least how I see it.

FFP has created a barrier between the elite clubs and the rest, and for that it is a disgrace, but I don't think the answer is letting people spend well beyond their means simply because they can.

There must be another way to encourage greater equality in football, but I can't see any way to do so in the current climate.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

If Fernandes can spend his money any way he likes, then any owner can spend their money any way they like, which means (yet again) that success = whoever has the most money to piss away. That isn't football, at least how I see it.

FFP has created a barrier between the elite clubs and the rest, and for that it is a disgrace, but I don't think the answer is letting people spend well beyond their means simply because they can.

There must be another way to encourage greater equality in football, but I can't see any way to do so in the current climate.

There needs to be some kind of financial structure perhaps, but basing that structure on a clubs current size is absolutely ridiculous and ONLY serves to maintain the status quo. 

Say QPR go down, the £40m fine is upheld and as a result Fernandes loses interest and they go bust, what exactly is the point of FFP then?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Having a wage bill bigger than Dortmund the other year was a bit embarrassing though.

Teams like Swansea, Stoke and West Brom have shown you can stay up for more than one year without blowing fortunes on the team.

The thing for me is when QPR were relegated they just kept on signing players on expensive deals e.g. Dunne, Krankjaer, Benayoun etc.

Just give them a transfer embargo for 6 months, imagine then not being able to sign anyone in January, relegated no problem.

what would sky and jim white do with themselves ?

QPR in the 70s were a decent team with a fair share of flair (remember "where's your wife gone, Stanley Bowles"?)

Now they're just shit. Sod 'em.

They were good under Gerry Francis in the early 90s. Top London team at one point, how times change.

They really haven't learned from last time. I hope they go down again! If not for having 2 of the biggest scumbags in football on their books. Barton and Henry.

I know he's not there any more but what a horrible line up...

13455.jpg

Â