January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I can see Bent leaving to Stoke.  Can't see us signing Jones though, wouldn't make sense to me.  Unless it was the only way we could get rid of Bent.  Jones is a good option to have on the bench.

Who do they play if Bentekke gets injured/suspended or needs rested?  I dont want jones but i can see the logic.  TOP priority should be DM though.

Edited by HeyAnty

Ah ok didn't realise about Wilson or Drenthe. Really clutching at straws to think of possible targets. I kinda like that, trying to second guess who we are in for. ust seen on SSN Leroy Fer not going to Everton, go on make it happen. The bouncer is exactly the sort of nicknamed player we need

I refer my learned friend to "Concrete Ron" and "Super Kev"

If, for example, it was £6m and Jones, I wouldn't be that against the deal. It would:

• Get a high earner (and a player our manager doesn't rate) off the wage bill
  • Bring in a replacement for his position (Jones would probably feature just as much as Bent would).
  • It would give us a big target man to replace Benteke if he was ever injured.
  • We could use the £6m to then bring in a CB/CM.

It's not like Bent is featuring much at the moment. He's pretty much our 4th choice striker. Newcastle yesterday was a very rare start in the league.

Edited by DCJonah

Sky seem to have us favourites to sign Kenwyne Jones. I'd actually take £6m+Jones for Bent and then spend some money on Stephens and Diame.

Does anyone remember the make weight in the transfer of Milner to Man City?

Jones would be exactly the same and i'd much rather give Bowery a chance if Benteke became injured.

Edited by Morpheus

The bent&jones combo did very well for a season at Sunderland so I just can't see it. Bowery is a perfect back up for now until we know what division we are in then reassess in the summer. Anything less than £10 mill cash is inexcusable for bent regardless of his wages. There is no point giving him away given our lack of money to spend. If we had levy negotiating it would be £14mill at least.

Signing Jones makes no sense, just like playing a 4th Division team with 4 centre forwards and no supply, like playing 5 at the back against Toon when they play with one up front, like not signing anyone when we stand to lose £60m+ on prize moey for relegation...... makes no sense so laid on certainty we will do it and not sign a DMF

I just read on "twitter", we're after Jake Livermore on loan.

Spurs will need him now Sandro's injured?

They have Holtby now instead of the Summer

I wouldn't be surprised if we were to sign yet another spurs fringe player who we had no chance of signing on a permanent

Things are getting so desperate now id take him

Bring in Messi, Schweinsteiger and Baines and we're pretty much sorted!

We're not going to sign 99.9% of the players people mention on this board, and we're not willing to finance the vast majority.

Think 30-35k/week absolute maximum. That rules out (i'm just looking up this page) Diame and Douglas, Jones would have to take a fairly significant wage cut. 

Anyone currently playing regularly for a premier league club who is half decent would want serious money if they were convinced to come to Villa. If we're signing premier league players, it will be people out of favour. On low wages or probably on loan. 

Think Livermore on loan, rather than Diame for 3.5m and 50k/week. To be fair I'd be happy enough with Livermore. 

I don't know why people imagine we'll suddenly be able to get rid of all the deadwood. We've been trying for years and for those on contracts giving a higher wage than their contribution is worth, we'll only be able to get rid when those contracts expire.

What dead wood us left? Given? Ireland? Dunne is a debateable one as the manager seems very keen to bring him in.

Who else? Truth is, there isn't much "dead" wood left. There's some expensive wood in N'Zogbia, Gabby and Bent but this is wood that has been of much use to us over the past few weeks. Premier league quality wood. Perhaps the last piece, Bent, is the most expendable and if it means we can strengthen other areas then we should move it on ASAP.

Reality is our wage bill isn't half as high as it once was. We must be circling near this £55m a season mark now with promise to remove more in the summer (Dunne at least) and we will shift Bent if not now then in 5 months time.

There should be nothing holding them back adding another couple on £50k a week. Logical speculation.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

What dead wood us left? Given? Ireland? Dunne is a debateable one as the manager seems very keen to bring him in.

Who else? Truth is, there isn't much "dead" wood left. There's some expensive wood in N'Zogbia, Gabby and Bent but this is wood that has been of much use to us over the past few weeks. Premier league quality wood. Perhaps the last piece, Bent, is the most expendable and if it means we can strengthen other areas then we should move it on ASAP.

Reality is our wage bill isn't half as high as it once was. We must be circling near this £55m a season mark now with promise to remove more in the summer (Dunne at least) and we will shift Bent if not now then in 5 months time.

There should be nothing holding them back adding another couple on £50k a week. Logical speculation.

Fingers crossed.

Agree 100%

I don't see how we are in a position not to be able to spend some decent money.

If Bent does go to Stoke then maybe we could have Palacios on loan for the rest of the season.

At his best he is probably what we need in midfield, depends on his fitness, he did have a knee injury and hasn't played much for Stoke.

Perhaps a move for Jake Livermore could be possible, after all he's not going to get much of a look in at Spurs, Holtby has been signed, and Parker is there also.

Both central defensive mids, both on loan with a view to a deal at the end of the season, that way there is no real risk.

Livermore, young with the potential to improve, Palacios (if fit) ready made to make an impact straight away.