January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

We've certainly shifted a lot of the deadwood already, but for me we still need to get rid of Warnock, Hutton, Given and Ireland (not sure when Hutton's / Warnock's contracts are up).

As you say, the wage bill must have come down a lot over the last 3 years and it is worrying that we still need to lower it further, as it's hard to see how we could keep a quality squad. With the wages of the above players allocated elsewhere, it may be possible, but if they're simply eliminated as costs and not spent on other players, well, we're left with what we have and that's a worrying prospect.

Warnock and Hutton are out on loan. It stands to reason the club would see no benefit in this if a substantial amount of their wages were not being picked up by the second party. Warnocks contract is up in the summer, he'll never play for us again. Hutton has moved with an option to make permanent. Fingers crossed I guess, but we don't seem to have much trouble shifting him, crazy as it seems. I think he likes to play football and he's too young to give up on a career. We'd move him, no question.

In other words, we're getting there. We must be almost there. If there's no room for speculation now in order to survive then Lerner may as well sell. I'm sure he understands that.

• Like 1

What dead wood us left? Given? Ireland? Dunne is a debateable one as the manager seems very keen to bring him in.

Who else? Truth is, there isn't much "dead" wood left. There's some expensive wood in N'Zogbia, Gabby and Bent but this is wood that has been of much use to us over the past few weeks. Premier league quality wood. Perhaps the last piece, Bent, is the most expendable and if it means we can strengthen other areas then we should move it on ASAP.

Reality is our wage bill isn't half as high as it once was. We must be circling near this £55m a season mark now with promise to remove more in the summer (Dunne at least) and we will shift Bent if not now then in 5 months time.

There should be nothing holding them back adding another couple on £50k a week. Logical speculation.

Fingers crossed.

In conclusion, we got wood.

I got a bit of an inkling that we will pull off a deal or 2 tomorrow.

Villa have never really made it public knowledge where transfers are concerened. It's very much done 'on the quiet', so here is hoping that is the case this very minute.

The 3 players mentioned would make a big difference. Strength, height and pace.

I just can't think that Lerner would just let this club go pop out the League without the slightest effort to stem the tide. Surely, as much of a dick he is, he won't want to be the first owner of this club to oversee relegation from the Premeir League? Financially, he must be aware of the hike in TV money next season and that by staying up the club would be easily better off, even with a few 'high' earners still kicking about, than if we went down and then basically had to re-build from scratch.

Surely.

Why don't you just ignore Twitter posts on here then if it's all bullshit? Concrete reliable links will have their own threads.

It's impossible. Some Billy bullshitter posts on Twitter and people are so desperate for some positive news that the next few pages are dominated. VILLA INSIDER1 my arse.

usually we still get a sniff of something is going to happen, even though villa keeps things quiet, but this window, theres no smell in the air at all

cant see anything happening, theres no point, were going down