January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Perhaps PL wanted Dale Stephens plus a defensive midfielder with premier league experience and has now been forced to choose one or the other due to RL's turning off of the taps.

Yeah that seems plausible, very sad if true...

So VillaCas, Stephens is 15th on his list of midfield targets and also a top target on that list?

My understanding is that Lambert has submitted a list of players he would like for each position - sometimes a couple of names, sometimes more. They are ranked with his preferred, usually more expensive choices first and cheaper alternatives after that. It is up to RL and PF to work through the list and see what deals they can make / afford

There are other midfield targets that Lambert would prefer but I understand that he thinks Stephens is a decent player who is a better than what is available - he would have bought him in the summer if the deal could have been done

That doesn't mean to say that he thinks he is buying Jack Wilshere - he is buying according to what Villa can afford

I'm guessing even you understand all this though and your post was yet more boring, small-minded point scoring

If we'd signed my summer targets / suggestions we really wouldn't be in this mess. They were all affordable and gettable

....and you know this how?

I think Lerner's a pretty naive owner, and not really up to the task.

But I can sympathise with his penny pinching a little bit at the moment. We virtually have a whole team of presumably highly paid players who barely get a look in. I can see why he wouldn't want to be providing money for additional signings while Bent, Ireland, Given, Dunne, Warnock, Hutton, KEA, Makoun & NZogbia continue to play peripheral roles within the club. We do actually have quite a big squad, it's just that half of them have been sent out on loan, or are being forced out by the manager.

That said, we can't wait around for them to leave, because inaction will lead to relegation. I don't see why Lerner can't do what he did with Bent i.e. panic buy in January, then sell any resemblance of a decent player the following summer without re-investing half of it back into the playing squad.

My understanding is that Lambert has submitted a list of players he would like for each position - sometimes a couple of names, sometimes more. They are ranked with his preferred, usually more expensive choices first and cheaper alternatives after that. It is up to RL and PF to work through the list and see what deals they can make / afford

There are other midfield targets that Lambert would prefer but I understand that he thinks Stephens is a decent player who is a better than what is available - he would have bought him in the summer if the deal could have been done

That doesn't mean to say that he thinks he is buying Jack Wilshere - he is buying according to what Villa can afford

I'm guessing even you understand all this though and your post was yet more boring, small-minded point scoring

FIFA 2013.

What VillaCas says makes sense. Lambert strikes me as a man who plans thoroughly. He probably does have a number of targets for each position. Its just a shame that we cant get everyone at the top of the list.

But I can sympathise with his penny pinching a little bit at the moment. We virtually have a whole team of presumably highly paid players who barely get a look in. I can see why he wouldn't want to be providing money for additional signings while Bent, Ireland, Given, Dunne, Warnock, Hutton, KEA, Makoun & NZogbia continue to play peripheral roles within the club. We do actually have quite a big squad, it's just that half of them have been sent out on loan, or are being forced out by the manager.

I'd like to take KEA out of the equation for the time being. I think he has been poor but I'd like to see him play with decent confident players around him (so not playing for Villa then lol)

It really puts it into context how much Lambert is managing with one hand behind his back - imagine if he could bring in 8 experienced 50k a week players into the first team. The younger players would look like stars alongside "proper" players.

We've been let down by very poor sigings - Hutton, Ireland, Dunne, Zog and to some extent Warnock all looked like trouble before they arrived. Lambert is now carrying the can for crap decisions made by previous managers

Edited by VillaCas

Yeah i get this, it's how pretty much every manager in the entire world works. What im doubtful about is using the supposedly very limited funds we have on yet another young unproven player from the lower leagues in England.

But if it is as we speculate that Lerner is not giving him any funds and that he hasn't written down any gettable experienced (quality) players on that list of his then im sure Stephens is at least a smudge better than Bannan and Delph and that he might come in handy next year when we play in the Championship

So what is that in terms of wages to revenue ratio....I imagine Hutton and Given will leave too.

2011/12 - 83/92 = 90% (from accounts)

2012/13 - 63/88 = 72% (assuming no-one leaves or comes in during January)

2013/14 - 57/98 = 58% (assumes just Warnock/Dunne/Lichaj leaving & nobody coming in, plus new TV deal adding £10mill to revenue.

2013/14 - 52/98 = 53% (assuming Hutton & Given also leave)

2013/14 - 62/98 = 63% (assuming all the above leave, but we add £10mill extra to the wage bill with new faces).

That last figure would be sustainable. :)

I'd like to take KEA out of the equation for the time being. I think he has been poor but I'd like to see him play with decent confident players around him (so not playing for Villa then lol)

It really puts it into context how much Lambert is managing with one hand behind his back - imagine if he could bring in 8 experienced 50k a week players into the first team. The younger players would look like stars alongside "proper" players.

We've been let down by very poor sigings - Hutton, Ireland, Dunne, Zog and to some extent Warnock all looked like trouble before they arrived. Lambert is now carrying the can for crap decisions made by previous managers

That's actually a very good way of looking at it. It's this kind of reasoning that will lead me to stick behind Lambert even if he does get us relegated. Someone needs the chance to manage this club when all the dead weight has been removed.

Re: Fabian Delph…….Its so hard to know what to make of him. The easy answer is very little.

But to be fair to him this is the first decent run he’s had in and about our first team.

He could be another Routledge. When I see him play for Swansea I keep asking myself is that the same lad we had at Villa….he was 23 then I don’t think anybody saw him becoming the player he is now?