January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

But if it is as we speculate that Lerner is not giving him any funds and that he hasn't written down any gettable experienced (quality) players on that list of his then im sure Stephens is at least a smudge better than Bannan and Delph and that he might come in handy next year when we play in the Championship

I don't want to disappoint you but it's halfway through the season and we're not in the relegation zone. That's with Bannan and Delph playing significant parts for the first half of the season. By many accounts Stephens is actually good, and he's over 6 foot. Maybe he will make it so we're even further away from the relegation zone. The defence might have taken all the flak for the Bradford game but if there were midfielders infront of them not giving the ball away all the time and providing no challenge to get through then things might have looked better.

I don't think we're going to get relegated.

What im doubtful about is using the supposedly very limited funds we have on yet another young unproven player from the lower leagues in England.

Hold on tight because I've got a bit of a shock for you......ready......you can't buy proven premiership experience with very limited funds

I don't post on here that much,just log on to see whats happening with regards to my beloved Villa. even had a barney with the missus after watching that diabolical performance against Bradford City but i can't stop thinking about our scouting networks & how poor it seems to be that some of our signings lack real quality. when you see the likes of Everton struggle financially but the majority of their signings have that much needed Prem quality without the massive squad. Just wondered What other people thought?

I don't want to disappoint you but it's halfway through the season and we're not in the relegation zone. That's with Bannan and Delph playing significant parts for the first half of the season. By many accounts Stephens is actually good, and he's over 6 foot. Maybe he will make it so we're even further away from the relegation zone. The defence might have taken all the flak for the Bradford game but if there were midfielders infront of them not giving the ball away all the time and providing no challenge to get through then things might have looked better.

I don't think we're going to get relegated.

Dissapoint me? Being woried about relegation doesn't mean hoping for relegation.

By the way who were those midfielders giving the ball away all the time and providing no challenge against Bradford?

By the way who were those midfielders giving the ball away all the time and providing no challenge against Bradford?

They were so invisible it was hard to notice them? Fair play. Bannan from the youth team and Delph who MON spanked 8million on. Neither are players Lambert brought in

Hold on tight because I've got a bit of a shock for you......ready......you can't buy proven premiership experience with very limited funds

Then get a player from abroad. Michu £2 million, Joe Bennet about the same if not more. The clubs in spain are bleeding financially and are full of quality players who are not on very high wages.

I don't post on here that much,just log on to see whats happening with regards to my beloved Villa. even had a barney with the missus after watching that diabolical performance against Bradford City but i can't stop thinking about our scouting networks & how poor it seems to be that some of our signings lack real quality. when you see the likes of Everton struggle financially but the majority of their signings have that much needed Prem quality without the massive squad. Just wondered What other people thought?

That's where Henke's appointment in the summer is so crucial, we really need him to bag some gems from abroad. The likes of Everton have built a squad over time by adding quality gradually, and these players can come from anywhere but rarely cost a fortune. It helps that they have had managerial stability for the last 10 years or however long Moyes has been there. You're right though, bar about 4 of O'Neill's signings and most of Lambert's, we have had absolutely shocking value for money.

Someone remind me why we've got a chance of signing Sissoko then? Is he not as good as people were rating him a couple of years ago?

That said if you don't buy a ticket you don't win the raffle, so it could hardly hurt to make an approach. If we really are spending this window courting a championship player (Dale Stephens) then it really doesn't bode well for our future in this league.

Then get a player from abroad. Michu £2 million...

Sometimes I wonder why Lambert hasn't already gone out and got a few of these "biggest bargain in Premier League history" players. Why not buy 11 of them for £22m and then sell half of them in 12 months time for £100m. Seems simple to me.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

PL would have known earlier this week that Vlaar would be back in the squad for tomorrows game so he would not have had to panic buy a CB prior to the game. We need to have some faith in him. While we can question the ability of some of his signings we all agree that Vlaar and Benteke are the best players we have so not a bad start to his management here in that respect.

Sometimes I wonder why Lambert hasn't already gone out and got a few of these "biggest bargain in Premier League history" players. Why not buy 11 of them for £22m and then sell half of them in 12 months time for £100m. Seems simple to me.

Isn't it? :D

You know when you sometimes have to be overly obvious/simplistic to get your point across, this was one of those times...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

That said if you don't buy a ticket you don't win the raffle, so it could hardly hurt to make an approach. If we really are spending this window courting a championship player (Dale Stephens) then it really doesn't bode well for our future in this league.

There are a few teams looking quite good in the premiership with players signed similar to Dale Stephens. Norwich are one of them, and obviously thanks to Lambert. We have rebuilding to do and a squad to fill. Mcleish blew his load on a three overpriced high wage players who are adding nothing to the team a year later. It's right to try a different approach.

Why have Moussa Sissoko when you can have Dale Stephens

It makes sense

Because Sissoko costs 3.5 mill and WIlshere would cost about 20?

Maybe because Sissoko is one of the more applauded young defensive midfielders in european football. Anyone that keeps a tab on french football in the last two seasons would know how highly thought of he is. Why do people always think we can go out and get anyone !

Maybe we have gone for him, maybe he didnt want to come to us, maybe maybe maybe

Posting messages like the first one is absolutely pointless. Id love to have a player like Sissoko in but jesus christ its not as simple as championship manager 01/02.