January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

It's like announcing to a car salesman how much money you've got before you go and shop. He'll inflate the prices, just like any team will who's selling their players. We did well in the summer by keeping silent and then swooping in for Vlaar and having him signed in less than a day. It's actually a much better strategy than the one that HR has where he litterally says "Hey, we've got money and we want x". Clubs would be fools not to inflate their prices.

Edited by magnkarl

That's a sobering tweet.

Most of us believe Randy needs to spend a large amount or we might be relegated. I reckon Randy's thinking he won't spend a large amount because we might be relegated.

Or he doesn't want the clubs to price Villa out of those players by revealing his transfer budget.

I think two years ago he spent a wedge in January because it was unthinkable to be relegated with the overheads we had at the time. Now these overheads have shrunk relegation is more palatable, from a business sense.

He could spend a load of money this window (long contracts etc) and we could still be relegated. Austerity reigns at B6.

Exactly what i'm beginning to think now Coda...

Wonder what the wage bill is at present? Also what will it drop to when some big contracts end in the summer?

It does all make you wonder whether they are now actually looking at nothing but the hard nosed business aspect? i.e

what we lose if relegated in tv money & gate receipts?... versus... what do we gain in parachute payments, less wages & sale fees of best players?

Would we be better off financially "temporarily" if we went down.?

Of course this would only be of relevance if we came back up very quickly which is surely a huge risk.. But this would give Lambert a chance to rebuild with less pressure on the young players & instill his ethos thoroughly before we "hopefully" came back up with the finances under full control, confidence back & a more settled & established team? Who knows with the wages then fully under control we may have room for a couple of marque signings by then too!

It's just looking more & more likely to me but hey.... I could be miles off of course :rolleyes:

It only turned into a saga because someone spotted him at VP.

But there was the whole business of Ron saying we'd inquired and hadn't got back to them etc.

Can someone briefly repeat what Hairyhands said.Can't find it and seen it mentioned quite a bit.

Could it be easier to sell the club if we're in the Championship? I only ask as I see a fair few Championship sides getting bought out by rich investors these days. I know Villa being in the Championship would lower our worth, but maybe that is what Lerner wants, maybe he does want to sell but our price is too high due to being in the Premier League.

Could it be easier to sell the club if we're in the Championship? I only ask as I see a fair few Championship sides getting bought out by rich investors these days. I know Villa being in the Championship would lower our worth, but maybe that is what Lerner wants, maybe he does want to sell but our price is too high due to being in the Premier League.

Lerner could sell us for 50p and a Mars bar if he wanted regardless of division. If he could find a buyer for that much!

So Stephens + a CB would be the minimum that Lambert wants and more than the maximum Lerner is willing to buy.

What was the name of the people that Ellis used to find a buyer for the club?

It was Goldman Sachs

Lets have a reality check here on transfers.

In all probablity, Vlaar and Dunne will be back playing as a partnership in 2 weeks. Once that happens, the defence will be fine. We don't need to panic and buy a CD unless he was in Lamberts plans anyway, even before the injuries to VLaar and Dunne.

We won';t necessarily get relegated if lose against Southamptom. Its just another game, ok its a 6 pointer, but we have loads of games left to pick up enough points to get to 40.

Lambert knows what he is doing with transfers. He knows Vlaar and Dunne will be back soon. His comment for the BBC about paying loads for players you don;t necessarily want at the end of the season is spot on. Can you imagine what we could have done with the £25 mil spunked on Bent if Houllier hadn't paniced?

I think Lambert will be concentrating on targets he identified months ago, and we nor any Twitter ITK will have any idea about them.

• Like 2

I think Delph will come good eventually. There is quality there but I don't he is a defensive midfielder.

That pass for Benteke the other day, for example, shows that he does have an eye for a pass when played slightly further up.

I don't share your optimism. He's had enough games now, and I can't see him, nor Bannan, Albrighton, Clark or Herd ever becoming good premier league players. I can't see the potential in any of them, it's not like they have the ability to do great things, but their inexperience lets them down. With Weimann for example, you know he's got a great goal in him, that he has the potential to go on and produce it on a regular basis. Baker also shows signs of being a very good player, as does Westwood. But these lot? I couldn't tell you the last time any of them were able to string together a series of good performances. They're just all very average players, and that's being generous. Very generous.

Edited by Shillzz

I don't share your optimism. He's had enough games now, and I can't see him, nor Bannan, Albrighton, Clark or Herd ever becoming good premier league players. I can't see the potential in any of them, it's not like they have the ability to do great things, but their inexperience lets them down. With Weimann for example, you know he's got a great goal in him, that he has the potential to go on and produce it on a regular basis. Baker also shows signs of being a very good player, as does Westwood. But these lot? I couldn't tell you the last time any of them were able to string together a series of good performances. They're just all very average players, and that's being generous. Very generous.

Agree

Why do a lot people think we are almost certainly signing Dale Stephens? Now Ashley Westwood is back, why would he be what we need? Westwood's injury wasn't as bad as first thought. Didn't we sign him instead of Stephens?

Why do a lot people think we are almost certainly signing Dale Stephens? Now Ashley Westwood is back, why would he be what we need? Westwood's injury wasn't as bad as first thought. Didn't we sign him instead of Stephens?

It is impossible to know but there is a school of thought that we wanted both of them. On the other had the time line seemed be that we were priced out of a move for Stephens and moved for Westwood so who knows.

There is nothing concrete to say we are back in for Stephens this window so we may not find out either way if he doesn't turn up here by the end of the month.

What is with Owen Hargreaves, firstly i know he is a bit of a sick note however, he has class and experience and has no club. He is head and shoulders above Delph, Bannan and that muggy Aussie word removed Herd (who bye the way should never be allowed to play for Villa again).