January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Dale Stephens, that's another one for the future right?

Or are Lambert expecting him to come in and do what Sigurdsson did for Swansea last season?

That's the kind of impact all our signings (if there are any) need to make. is Stephens that good or is he just a player we hope can help us in next seasons promotion fight?

I think the Dale Stephens transfer (and any other of our transfer targets) being dragged out is down to our apparent desperation to get players in. The selling teams would be mad not to try and play the situation to their advantage. We must have agreed a fee in the summer, its my bet this fee has changed........

Exactly what i'm beginning to think now Coda...

Wonder what the wage bill is at present? Also what will it drop to when some big contracts end in the summer?

It does all make you wonder whether they are now actually looking at nothing but the hard nosed business aspect? i.e

what we lose if relegated in tv money & gate receipts?... versus... what do we gain in parachute payments, less wages & sale fees of best players?

Would we be better off financially "temporarily" if we went down.?

Of course this would only be of relevance if we came back up very quickly which is surely a huge risk.. But this would give Lambert a chance to rebuild with less pressure on the young players & instill his ethos thoroughly before we "hopefully" came back up with the finances under full control, confidence back & a more settled & established team? Who knows with the wages then fully under control we may have room for a couple of marque signings by then too!

It's just looking more & more likely to me but hey.... I could be miles off of course :rolleyes:

my best estimates are:

current 2012/13 wages - £38.8m + NI + Medical Ins + Bonus + Lambert salary + non-football staff = £63mill.

at the end of the season - Warnock, Dunne & Lichaj out of contract saving £7m, so £56mill for 2013/14 assuming no-one else left or come in.

Most importantly, next year is the start of the new super TV deal, TV money alone will increase from 54m in last accounts to £70m (guessing), increase of £16m.

If we got relegated, parachute payments are now £16m a year i think... so getting £16m rather than £70m for TV money, means there is no way its financially worth getting relegated.

my best estimates are:

current 2012/13 wages - £38.8m + NI + Medical Ins + Bonus + Lambert salary + non-football staff = £63mill.

at the end of the season - Warnock, Dunne & Lichaj out of contract saving £7m, so £56mill for 2013/14 assuming no-one else left or come in.

Most importantly, next year is the start of the new super TV deal, TV money alone will increase from 54m in last accounts to £70m (guessing), increase of £16m.

If we got relegated, parachute payments are now £16m a year i think... so getting £16m rather than £70m for TV money, means there is no way its financially worth getting relegated.

Great thanks for that Ender 4.. so thats good news then as in it makes it unlikely that thats in the plans..you would hope :unsure:

Only thing not factored in there is money from selling the likes of Bent etc & i'd include Benteke & a few others who would want out in that if we went down too... So that would no doubt reduce the "losses" somewhat. Gate receipts i assume would drop but would only make a difference of between around 5-8m as a wild estimate?

So no .. it's unlikely that's the "Plan" which is a good thing!

Somethings happend to delay the Stephens transfer. I am worried that Lerner is pulling the funding.

Yep, that wouldn't surprise me. Make or break time now for this season. If Lerner doesn't even allow Lambert to sign a CM who could improve our piss poor performances of late we are absolutely ****.

And I can see Lambert walking if we lose tomorrow.

Dale Stephens, that's another one for the future right?

Or are Lambert expecting him to come in and do what Sigurdsson did for Swansea last season?

That's the kind of impact all our signings (if there are any) need to make. is Stephens that good or is he just a player we hope can help us in next seasons promotion fight?

FFS

I'm sure Dale Stephens is Paul Lambert's dream buy

In fact he is probably number 15 on a list, that RL/PF has crossed out and written "too expensive" on all the names above

Just thought i'd throw that in as I was bored sat in airport departure lounge.................... :ph34r::angry:

Cos its day bloody 11 and our illustrious leader has not so much as signed his name let alone a new player to get us out of this mess

If by illustrious leader you mean RL then you are spot on - they have the list of names Lambert wants to bring in (and Dale Stephens is nowhere near the top of that list)

Stephens is ready to go now, very good player for me, watched him a few times.

And just to add my two cents to the delph comments, I'm pretty sure when we brought him he had never once been a midfield player, and was an out and out attacking winger for leeds and sometimes switched to a AM. So bit hard for him to just become the answer to our problems.

Anyone else remember him at leeds?