January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Dale Stephens, that's another one for the future right?

Or are Lambert expecting him to come in and do what Sigurdsson did for Swansea last season?

That's the kind of impact all our signings (if there are any) need to make. is Stephens that good or is he just a player we hope can help us in next seasons promotion fight?

He never said any of the signings were for the future. He said young and hungry, that's all. And signed Vlaar and KEA (yeah, KEA's not working out so well at the moment, but that happens). Our squad is thin and being shown up because of the likes of Bannan at CM not really being much of a presence unfortunately.

If Stephens is an improvement then we improve. That's all we need.

And I can see Lambert walking if we lose tomorrow.

Funny how we all see things so differently. January is renowned to be a tough period for buying players. Wasn't Lambert even quoted today along the lines of players prices are inflated in January...so implying maybe the issues surround trying to get players at non-panic-freak-out prices.

the whole team/club need a big lift..its friday & usually teams sign players on fridays..still we scanning the web & nothing. we have huge game tomorrow & need the points bad,after the defeat at bradford i expected pl to move in for a player to improve us..nothing ffs!

FFS

I'm sure Dale Stephens is Paul Lambert's dream buy

In fact he is probably number 15 on a list, that RL/PF has crossed out and written "too expensive" on all the names above

So he's just signing him for the sake of signing someone? I don't believe that for a second

Agree

I don't share your optimism. He's had enough games now, and I can't see him, nor Bannan, Albrighton, Clark or Herd ever becoming good premier league players. I can't see the potential in any of them, it's not like they have the ability to do great things, but their inexperience lets them down. With Weimann for example, you know he's got a great goal in him, that he has the potential to go on and produce it on a regular basis. Baker also shows signs of being a very good player, as does Westwood. But these lot? I couldn't tell you the last time any of them were able to string together a series of good performances. They're just all very average players, and that's being generous. Very generous.

Sadly also agree. Delph has become the next Lee Hendrie - all that potential with no ending product. I've seen enough to be honest.

I remember him playing AM. From what Im told Stephens is prem league quality. However I wouldnt pin our hopes on him. VillaCas - Stephens is/was very much a top target for Lambert. However you may be right. Maybe we want someone else and if we cant get them then we will come back to Stephens. One thing is for sure if we cant spend the reported £2.5m on DS then we have no hope of staying up or buying anyone decent.

With fees I have no idea what the actual fee/.wages are. Only DS and his agent and people from our side will know that. I do know that the tug of war over fees escalated quickly in the summer and their chairman wanted a ludicrous fee for him.

So he's just signing him for the sake of signing someone? I don't believe that for a second

What part of "lists" do you find hard to understand

Lambert draws up a list of players he wants - at the top of the list are the expensive players that would make a real difference, near the bottom of the list are the cheap players who are slightly better than what we have at the moment. Given the funds available Lambert will have to make do with a couple from the bottom of the list.

Easy to blame Lambert, trickier to take a more intelligent view of the situation

I remember him playing AM. From what Im told Stephens is prem league quality. However I wouldnt pin our hopes on him. VillaCas - Stephens is/was very much a top target for Lambert. However you may be right. Maybe we want someone else and if we cant get them then we will come back to Stephens. One thing is for sure if we cant spend the reported £2.5m on DS then we have no hope of staying up or buying anyone decent.

With fees I have no idea what the actual fee/.wages are. Only DS and his agent and people from our side will know that. I do know that the tug of war over fees escalated quickly in the summer and their chairman wanted a ludicrous fee for him.

I'm sure he is a top target. Lambert knows what funds are available and propably thinks Stephens is the best bang for his buck - I've watched what you've been posting and I hope we get him

My point was that if Lambert had the money to sign David Luiz and Eden Hazard my guess is he would

Hendrie for all his faults scored some good goals for us and was one of our most creative players. Delph has done nothing. I am running out of patience with him. Champ player at best. Shame because he looked brilliant when he first came here.

Hendrie for all his faults scored some good goals for us and was one of our most creative players. Delph has done nothing. I am running out of patience with him. Champ player at best. Shame because he looked brilliant when he first came here.

My point is has delph ever been played in his actual best position whilst at villa?? he's been a rb and plonked in midfield, I dont think he ever played there for leeds? If you look at his youtube vid whilst at leeds he was a winger and goal scoring attacking player.

Stephens is ready to go now, very good player for me, watched him a few times.

And just to add my two cents to the delph comments, I'm pretty sure when we brought him he had never once been a midfield player, and was an out and out attacking winger for leeds and sometimes switched to a AM. So bit hard for him to just become the answer to our problems.

Anyone else remember him at leeds?

Why have four successive Villa managers (including the one who scouted him and subsequently bought him) played him in that position then? He also played there when he returned to Leeds on loan IIRC. Surely he's bound to have mentioned to someone along the way that he's an attacking winger if that's were he's at his best. That could solve a problem area for us in itself.

Why have four successive Villa managers (including the one who scouted him and subsequently bought him) played him in that position then? He also played there when he returned to Leeds on loan IIRC. Surely he's bound to have mentioned to someone along the way that he's an attacking winger if that's were he's at his best. That could solve a problem area for us in itself.

I agree, I dont know why he has been played there. When he first joined I'm sure he was a winger at leeds??