January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I agree also QPR have taken 4 points from 6 against 2 teams in the top 4 so I can easily see them picking up points.Honestly I think currently we are the worst team in the league.

Indeed, lets not forget our away game at QPR, we were under the kosh at their place for most of the game. They are not as bad as some people think. M'Vila and Remy will help them a lot too.

Whilst I would love us to splash the cash - In some ways it shows how poorly run the club is. Paul Lambert is brought in on the young hungry ticket - but then we undo any savings made, by pay over the odds in fees and wages. -

I don't profess to have the answer - but in future we need better planning.

I don't think we will get sissokko - esp if other clubs are in for him

Sissoko would be another gamble, and if it doesnt work then it'll mean more financial strife for the club that could hamper our squad for next year.

Whilst your correct that any signing on big wages now is a gamble this is retaining our Premeir League status we are talking about. I am convinced we are 2 or 3 good signings in this window away from ensuring we can survive. I would rather gamble now than look back in 5 years time when we have been rotting in the Championship and thinking **** me I wish when we were still with in a point of safety in January 2013 that we'd have spent a few quid and gave it our all to stay up.

• Like 1

Not really, no.

The club have done absolutely diddly squat of interest during my tenure on this planet, and in a weird way, I kind of agree. Though it will only be a slim silver lining on a big storm cloud in all honesty.

I'm 30 - and have seen us win a League Cup and thats about it. A couple of finals since but **** all really. You don't support Aston Villa for the glory though do you?

Its all about the Horror and the Hope - you take the 8-0 drubbings at Chelsea because you know at some point next season, there will be a pissing horrible night (probably in Hull) where we will nick a last minute winner (probably off Richard Dunne's fat arse) and we will all go home (probably drunk) feeling like Champions of Europe.

I'm not sure I'd have it any other way.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

Yup, this would be my thinking too.

Get Stephens in, and any other players that will be happy to ride out the Championship with us. You would hope to be able to keep hold of Westwood, Lowton, Weimann and ideally Benteke, then build from there.

Sissoko would be another gamble, and if it doesnt work then it'll mean more financial strife for the club that could hamper our squad for next year.

Theres not a chance in hell we'd keep benteke, But Lowton, Westwood and Weimann probably for a year or two.

We won't get relegated

Chelsea will give Southampton a reality check 2moz

Issue is that isnt enough, we now need Southampton, and other teams, to have loads more reality checks while we win two or three games on the trot and then continue that form.

not saying it wont happen or we are down, just poitning out it is no longer in our own hands and we need other teams to slip up once or twice whilst we do not.

I'm 30 - and have seen us win a League Cup and thats about it. A couple of finals since but **** all really. You don't support Aston Villa for the glory though do you?

Its all about the Horror and the Hope - you take the 8-0 drubbings at Chelsea because you know at some point next season, there will be a pissing horrible night (probably in Hull) where we will nick a last minute winner (probably off Richard Dunne's fat arse) and we will all go home feeling like Champions of Europe.

I'm not sure I'd have it any other way.

Nicely put. You do take the highs with the lows, lows are fine, though the humiliation that's coming our way this season has been a bit harder to take! I'd be quite interested in sticking with the whole current set up and seeing them progress through the championship though.

Whilst your correct that any signing on big wages now is a gamble this is retaining our Premeir League status we are talking about. I am convinced we are 2 or 3 good signings in this window away from ensuring we can survive. I would rather gamble now than look back in 5 years time when we have been rotting in the Championship and thinking **** me I wish when we were still with in a point of safety in January 2013 that we'd have spent a few quid and gave it our all to stay up.

That is an equally as sensible way of looking at it. It's not my approach, simply because, like Eames, I just think we're gone this year. It would take atleast 4 good Premier League quality signings to make me even question my negativity on the matter, and I just can't see it happening.

• Like 2

(Is it wrong that I'm actually looking forward to it in a way - be nice to see us win a few games.......) :D

Haha, I've lined that up as my comeback for the shit my mates will give me if we go down. Fortunately the most likely culprit is a Leeds fan so he can hardly talk.

What i dont get is why did Lambert come to Villa? The board obviously had to sell it to him with regards promise of ambition/money to rebuild a squad after last years debacle.

Has to cash there for a couple of big signings. And im not talking about Dale Stevens either.

What i dont get is why did Lambert come to Villa? The board obviously had to sell it to him with regards promise of ambition/money to rebuild a squad after last years debacle.

Has to cash there for a couple of big signings. And im not talking about Dale Stevens either.

I've thought this the exact same myself a few times ! Houllier didnt get as much as O'Neill and Mcleish got half of what houllier got even when stuart downing and ashley young left. So why would lambert leave norwich who spend pennies to go to villa who spend pennies when everything was going so well...