January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

While Given is a good keeper, I do wonder who's decision it was to offer him such a long contract.

Hindsight is a massive factor in these situations. When you hear stories of River Plate offering a 19 year old Falcao to us for 7 million pounds during O'Neill's tenure and O'Neill declining that to sign Heskey instead, you just wanna

:bang:

Tim Cahil? Not likely.

A return to Goodison Park seemed his most likely destination but Press Association Sport understands Sunderland, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur and Queens Park Rangers are also interested in signing the Australia international.

Link

if we get any player from derby my money is on coutts

Really like Coutts, follow PNE and he was a great player for them there, was always going to move up a league, i don't know whether he would cope in the premier league though, still think he is a good player for the championship though so might be worth a punt, although i think i'd prefer to go for someone more like Trotter, as mentioned by others, purely for his size and the amount of games he's played for a guy who isn't that old yet. he also is more than capable of bagging a goal from midfield, cannot go wrong providing he makes the step-up!

Been looking through all the championship teams to see if there any player i hadn't immediately thought of, who are playing in the championship but have good experience in the premier league, and also the quality to still compete in the prem and the knowledge to pass onto the younger players. here are just a few names, could be good/bad, just a list up for discussion rather than a group of players who i want to all be signed up

Morten Gamst Pedersen

Matty Phillips

Martin Olsson

Lee Chung-Yong

Stuart Holden

Chris McCann

Jamie O'Hara

Everybody else, unless i didn't see them, i feel have dropped down from the prem because they are either no longer good enough, or i just don't rate them personally. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on O'Hara and Chung-Yong personally, think they would greatly improve the team, they are from lower leagues and they aren't too old

-------------------------Goose--------------------------

Lowton------Vlaar-------Clark/Baker-----???????

----------------------????????-----------------------

---------------Bannan--------Westwood------------

??????-----------------------------------------Gabby

------------------------Benteke------------------------

Priority for me is a great big strong DM who can add a bit of muscle to the our midfield and let Westwood and Bannan play and a right sided attacking player who can give defences more to think about - I think a third forward with a bit more threat would open things up for Benteke.

Left back can maybe wait until the summer while we give Bennett a go.

Priority for me is a great big strong DM who can add a bit of muscle to the our midfield and let Westwood and Bannan play and a right sided attacking player who can give defences more to think about - I think a third forward with a bit more threat would open things up for Benteke.

I would also add a left sided attacking player since i feel Gabby offers very little end product in this position. He's fast and works hard but his passing, crossing and shooting is letting him down. Hardly any goals or assist during the last year and i see little that points to it changing.

I like Gabby but i don't see him ever being a effective wide player for us again even thou he was excellent at the start of the MON era

Just to be clear i don't expect all of these positions to be adressed in january...

• Like 1

Westwood is the DM. It's the creative spark who can play Irelands position that we need to find.

I think it's both.

A guy to play behind Westwood who is strong in the tackle then a guy to play in front of him who is creative and links with the attackers.

A bit like Liverpools very successful midfield three of Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard.

We just need to buy the new Masherano and the next Gerrard ;)

Maybe, but I don't see Westwood as a player who gets forward.

I see him very much playing a Busquets position (I'm not for a second saying he's of a similar ability to Busquets before anyone jumps down my throat)

You don't have to be a beast to be a DM. And from what I've seen from Westwood, he acts as the fulcrum of the team. He collects the ball from the defence and starts a move going, as opposed to bursting forward and directly creating a chance. He keeps the game ticking over.

Then in defence he can break up play and read the game without having to throw his weight around.

Imo, he's our DM until someone bigger buys him (depressing, I know).

We then need an attacking midfielder and someone to play ebtween the two. Bannan COULD be that 3rd player, imo, but only if the creative player in front of him is good enough to take the responsibility away from Bannan and let him do what he does well. When Bannan is left with the creative responsibility is when his game drops a level, imo.

i dont think we need to tweak to team much to be honest, we definitely need an international experienced CB to partner vlaar

if were stuck with given, then by the time he leaves siegrist will be ready to step up as no2

with a midfield of westwood, herd, el ahmadi, ireland, nzogbia, gardner, and even bannan and delph who i dont rate, our midfield is ok

i dont think we need to tweak to team much to be honest, we definitely need an international experienced CB to partner vlaar

if were stuck with given, then by the time he leaves siegrist will be ready to step up as no2

with a midfield of westwood, herd, el ahmadi, ireland, nzogbia, gardner, and even bannan and delph who i dont rate, our midfield is ok

With the emergence of Baker and Dunne to come back from injury, i feel we're ok at CB.

We certainly have a numerical advantage in players available for our midfield positions but that hasn't been the problem. Its been a distinct lack of quality and that needs to be addressed in january.