Ashley Young

maqroll

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

What was he redeeming himself from?

Pretty sure he was much hated after the famous dive vs us not long after he left. 

So yeh to come from there back to pretty much the height of his old popularity is amazing. 

Edited by KAZZAM
  • Like 1

I am so happy Young is here, he is the ultimate professional and he is not just taking a spot. Miles better than Digne and his pass to Bailey for the first Ings goal was a beauty. He takes care of himself and has such a great brain that he could probably play another 5 seasons or so

Disappointed he didnt take the penalty as really want him to score at Villa Park again :D 

Just now, Zatman said:

I am so happy Young is here, he is the ultimate professional and he is not just taking a spot. Miles better than Digne and his pass to Bailey for the first Ings goal was a beauty. He takes care of himself and has such a great brain that he could probably play another 5 seasons or so

Disappointed he didnt take the penalty as really want him to score at Villa Park again :D 

Yes, it really was a beauty! One of my highlights of the highlights... to squeeze the ball between those two defenders in front of him it had to be a perfect pass. It was a football pass equivalent of thread through the eye of a needle. 🤩

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Know it doesn't work like in films but imagine waking up from a 12 year coma you'd be like Young what a legend 15 seasons with villa 

No joke, one of the first things I'd do if I was in a coma for a long time and woke up would be to look up at what Villa were doing while I was out.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I love Ash but honestly, I wasn't! He was our main penalty taker after Milner left and he never looked particularly confident taking them, and duly messed it up away to Bolton and cost us the game that season.

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That pass was Grealish stuff.

Reminded me of that time in the cup when Neil Taylor didn't realize the ball was slipped into his path by Grealish til like 2 seconds later after looking left and right.

• Haha 2

I do smile to myself when I think of his transformation over the years from skilful but a bit lightweight winger to no nonsense full back. I imagine Ashley Young the fb would eat Ashley Young the winger for breakfast! I can see Ash’s face now if young Ashley tried one of his dives in front of him! 😂

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Player of the season so far for me...

Agreed, I have to eat humble pie on this one.

I thought it was a bit embarrassing to bring him back this summer, surely a club with our backing can do better than a 37 year old who hardly played last season as it was?

Right now though, I don't see how Digne gets back in the team. Nice problem to have.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Reminded me of that time in the cup when Neil Taylor didn't realize the ball was slipped into his path by Grealish til like 2 seconds later after looking left and right.

Yes! Against Burton I think. Forced it into his path.

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

I do smile to myself when I think of his transformation over the years from skilful but a bit lightweight winger to no nonsense full back. I imagine Ashley Young the fb would eat Ashley Young the winger for breakfast! I can see Ash’s face now if young Ashley tried one of his dives in front of him! 😂

I think his footballing intelligence has improved massively from his first stint with us. I always loved him, but did think he could be a bit of a headless chicken at times despite his obvious class on the ball. Now he's just so assured and his reading of the game is phenomenal. I guess that's what happens when you spend such a huge part of your career playing under truly elite managers like Ferguson, Mourinho, Conte and Danks....😁

I know I shouldn't really but it's the dark arts side of the game that impressed me the most, knows when to foul, when to get in an opponent's face or onto the ref  .. even at thrown ins where he sorta looks like he's going to give the ball to their player than throws it randomly in some other direction .. it takes a special sorta character for this and we haven't had one for years  ... but also, he's been a real leader, it was him who went over and picked up Martinez after letting in the soft penalty on Thursday, its him that is vocal on the pitch and encouraging others and lifting the others when McGinn has been invisible.

I think Digne will get his place back once fit, but Young will still be an asset for the rest of the season and maybe beyond 

• Like 3

Â