Ashley Young

maqroll

The one thing that I will find strange is seeing him at fullback. I don’t watch any football at all that isn’t villa (international tournaments aside) so my only real memories of him are of a flying winger that had me off my seat every time he got the ball.  

He has been trusted to play at wingback for a couple of really big clubs so i know he must have that to his game, it will just be weird watching it. 

Edited by av1

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He looks in incredible shape pre season.

I have a feeling Young hasn’t come here to sit on the bench. May surprise a few this season. 

Was thinking the same, question is where?! It’s gonna be so weird seeing him line up for us again. 

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He looks in incredible shape pre season.

I have a feeling Young hasn’t come here to sit on the bench. May surprise a few this season. 

I agree I just hate this phrase, I can’t get Bruce out my head whenever I see something similar.

200.gif

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Left wing if we decide to play Grealish centrally. 

It's going to be kind of surreal seeing Young and his hunched dribbling posture on the left wing for us again after 10 years. Not that he's aged a day since then mind, but still.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's going to be kind of surreal seeing Young and his hunched dribbling posture on the left wing for us again after 10 years. Not that he's aged a day since then mind, but still.

I just have these memories of him receiving the ball wide out on the left and everyone would just stand up because they knew something was going to happen. 

A really terrific player back in the day. I know he’s aged but he looks fitter and stronger now than he was back then! 

It might be an unpopular opinion but right now, he gets in my first XI out on the left. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, a m ole said:

I agree I just hate this phrase, I can’t get Bruce out my head whenever I see something similar.

200.gif

For me, Bruce is synonymous with 'there or thereaboots' and 'we pull wor socks up' 

18 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Ash looking good, have a gut feeling he is gonna play a bigger part then we thought this season

Obviously ain't the explosive winger we became accustomed to in the late 2000's but for a 36 year old he look pretty impressive.

This version of Young is first and foremost a solid defender, and can cover both sides if Cash or Targett suffers injuries or suspensions.

I very much doubt we'll see him playing further up the pitch as he isn't that player anymore.

Overall just a very decent utility signing.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Obviously ain't the explosive winger we became accustomed to in the late 2000's but for a 36 year old he look pretty impressive.

This version of Young is first and foremost a solid defender, and can cover both sides if Cash or Targett suffers injuries or suspensions.

I very much doubt we'll see him playing further up the pitch as he isn't that player anymore.

Overall just a very decent utility signing.

Can he play as a 10 with two 6s behind,  Jack and Emi wide?

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Can he play as a 10 with two 6s behind,  Jack and Emi wide?

I think we are actively looking for a 10.

Ash will be mainly used as a defender me think.

Will be interesting to see where he plays in pre season. Smith might decide to experiment with him in different positions

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think we are actively looking for a 10.

Ash will be mainly used as a defender me think.

Will be interesting to see where he plays in pre season. Smith might decide to experiment with him in different positions

Hope so, if he has the legs he could be a gem.

It always made sense to me that he was coming to play more than people were originally predicting. There's a good chance that this could be the last season of his career, so he wasn't going to turn down the chance to stay at Inter Milan, or go to Burnley or Watford where he'd get more game time just to come here as a back up option to Targett, that might mean him only getting an handful of games. I can see him being used on the wing on occasion and maybe even in central midfield, when we need someone experienced there to help us close a game out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, useless said:

It always made sense to me that he was coming to play more than people were originally predicting. There's a good chance that this could be the last season of his career, so he wasn't going to turn down the chance to stay at Inter Milan, or go to Burnley or Watford where he'd get more game time just to come here as a back up option to Targett, that might mean him only getting an handful of games. I can see him being used on the wing on occasion and maybe even in central midfield, when we need someone experienced there to help us close a game out.

ye i think he will play a lot.

im not sure he will get a regular starting spot in the PL (but who knows), but i can defo see him as sub option in many PL games for left wing, right wing, and obviously left back, i can also see him starting in the cup games tbh.

He could also start quite a few games due to injury or suspension of other players etc.

If he is good enough to start, then good luck to him!

Edited by MaVilla

Â